News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Best PNSO?

Started by Duck, December 27, 2021, 10:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leyster

Quote from: Sim on January 01, 2022, 07:31:14 PM
Hmm, as far as I can see the PNSO Yutyrannus looks okay compared to the restored skeletons by well everyone except Ashley Patch.
Again, no. Yutyrannus has a skull longer than the femur (see Xu et al. 2012 Suplementary Informations), the same is not true for the PNSO model.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Sim

I can't find the supplementary information you're referring to, but looking at GetAwayTrike's Yutyrannus skeletal the skull doesn't look longer than the femur...

Leyster

Quote from: Sim on January 02, 2022, 02:46:59 PM
I can't find the supplementary information you're referring to, but looking at GetAwayTrike's Yutyrannus skeletal the skull doesn't look longer than the femur...
Here is it Go to page 3.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Psittacoraptor

After looking at my model, I have concluded that it could possibly represent ZCDM V5000 with its 905*/850mm (*estimate) skull/femur ratio, because its skull and thigh look about the same length. It's hard to tell, though, because the model is rather small and no actual bones are visible. Perhaps someone could conduct an x-ray of the model to determine how severely it deviates from the estimated ratio.

Leyster

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on January 02, 2022, 04:04:19 PM
After looking at my model, I have concluded that it could possibly represent ZCDM V5000 with its 905*/850mm (*estimate) skull/femur ratio, because its skull and thigh look about the same length. It's hard to tell, though, because the model is rather small and no actual bones are visible. Perhaps someone could conduct an x-ray of the model to determine how severely it deviates from the estimated ratio.
If you compare it to the Safari (whose proportions are correct) it does still look "off".
GAT's skeletal has some proportion issues, or so I've been told. It's better to trust the measurements given in the paper.

Shonisaurus

For me the best dinosaurs of PNSO are the following:

Parasaurolophus, I think it is the best on the market that exists today. I do not have it physically but watching the videos and photographs lives up to its fame.

Torvosaurus and tarbosaurus for me those two theropods are the best that this brand has, when it comes to painting and modeling.

Borealopelta without a doubt the best scientifically well done on the market and the largest that exists that I am aware of today.

Dunkleosteus without a doubt the best finished marine prehistoric animal followed by the atopodentatus and the vinyl basilosaurus and megalodon, they are also the best figures from my understanding that exist on the market in terms of finish and realism.

Olorotitan is a great figure and I hope the tsintaosaurus will be too if they do.

Iguanodon for me is one of the best, if not the best that exists on the market.

The ones that do not convince me much are the male and female tyrannosaurus, the latest version triceratops, the museum version giganotosaurus and the small version of the PNSO megalodon, regardless of whether they are large figures, I do not like them at all, they are beautiful but they do not catch my attention. The adult stegosaurus does not convince me either, but the hatchling does. Although I have to clarify that except for the Museum model giganotosaurus that I have in my collection, the rest I only know from photos.

Psittacoraptor

Quote from: Leyster on January 02, 2022, 05:02:04 PM
If you compare it to the Safari (whose proportions are correct) it does still look "off".
GAT's skeletal has some proportion issues, or so I've been told. It's better to trust the measurements given in the paper.

It was a (bad) joke. I was expecting a more substantial difference than 5,5 cm on an 8-9 m long animal, that's all. You made it sound like the difference in length would be something you can easily see, but I would be very impressed if one managed to spot that on the actual animal, let alone at a scale as small as the PNSO model... Add to that that the skull is incomplete and it's an estimate, and I am more than fine with what is presented in the model. I'll certainly choose its life-like depiction of an animal over Safari's style of figures.

Leyster

I'd say that in this case is noticeable, or I wouldn't notice a difference with the Safari in term of proportions :)

Psittacoraptor

What you're noticing is a difference between two figures, not the Safari reflecting the numbers in the paper. I don't think you realize how ridiculously tiny 5cm are in relation to the size of the animal. Let's just agree to disagree ;)

Sim

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on January 02, 2022, 05:41:55 PM
Quote from: Leyster on January 02, 2022, 05:02:04 PM

It was a (bad) joke. I was expecting a more substantial difference than 5,5 cm on an 8-9 m long animal, that's all. You made it sound like the difference in length would be something you can easily see, but I would be very impressed if one managed to spot that on the actual animal, let alone at a scale as small as the PNSO model... Add to that that the skull is incomplete and it's an estimate, and I am more than fine with what is presented in the model. I'll certainly choose its life-like depiction of an animal over Safari's style of figures.

It's not just GetAwayTrike's skeletal, every Yutyrannus skeleton I've seen doesn't appear to have the skull longer than the femur.  I agree with avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor though, I'm more than fine with what is presented on the model.  And although I do very much like Safari's figures a lot of the time, their Yutyrannus doesn't appeal to me with the scaly face with some huge scales and the base colour for the scaly parts showing through the paintjob on the feathers.

SRF

Quote from: Bread on December 30, 2021, 02:41:07 AM
Personally I dislike tier list cause I always feel like it changes all the time for myself.

This is so true. If I were to make a tier list now, it will probably have some significant changes compared to the one I've shared here. Maybe I'll just have to make a new one after I've received the figures that I purchased this week.
But today, I'm just being father

Faras

Making list is quite fun indeed :) Stuffs in last two tiers are what I don't have yet...

Bread

Quote from: SRF on January 14, 2022, 01:04:12 PM
Quote from: Bread on December 30, 2021, 02:41:07 AM
Personally I dislike tier list cause I always feel like it changes all the time for myself.

This is so true. If I were to make a tier list now, it will probably have some significant changes compared to the one I've shared here. Maybe I'll just have to make a new one after I've received the figures that I purchased this week.
I am actually thinking about making one during the holiday break for PNSO. Makes it easier as they won't be revealing/releasing some figures for a few weeks.

Mattyonyx

I know I'm late to the party, but since L @Leyster mentioned Paleo-Nerd's video about the PNSO and GR Toys Carcharodontosaurus figures, here's the video, now with IT and EN subtitles:
https://youtu.be/kraB95cZvUo
Our guest for the stream was Damiano Palombi, an Italian paleontologist currently working in Chile and a Carcharodontosauridae expert. Please keep in mind that the English subs are automatically translated from the transcripted text, so they're not perfect.

About a tier list, I don't know about you, but the fact that it's so long with just the 2020/2021 releases astounds me...

SidB

Thanks, avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx , that was very informative and helpful. I have the PNSO figure and if I do acquire the GR one, on the basis of the discussion above, it looks like the green version will be better than the blue, due to the more precise jaw articulation.

Mattyonyx

Quote from: SidB on January 17, 2022, 04:33:07 AM
Thanks, avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx , that was very informative and helpful. I have the PNSO figure and if I do acquire the GR one, on the basis of the discussion above, it looks like the green version will be better than the blue, due to the more precise jaw articulation.

About The Blue/Flame thing: at the time when we did the live special, the pictures we saw showed a better jaw articulation on the flame variant. Then, more pictures and videos proved that the chances are the same as with the blue variant, so it' more about luck.

As we said in the special, both the GR Toys and the PNSO suffer in the jaw department, the PNSO one being pretty unique among the theropods of the company because of the overbite.

SidB

Thanks, avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx , got it. Appreciated.

SRF

It's been a while since this topic was active. Now with some new releases from PNSO; if I have to pick only one figure that I have to recommend as the objectively best one, it has to be the Torosaurus. It's the one figure with the most shelf presence and the colors are absolutely outstanding. Already the biggest candidate for best figure of 2022 in my eyes, at least from PNSO.

Some other 2022 releases are also one of the best in their own category. I think their Zhuchengtyrannus is probably the best theropod they've done and the Tsintaosaurus though still on my wish list, is definitely one of their best hadrosaurs alongside the Parasaurolophus. Untill now, its quality over quantity for PNSO in 2022.

Gwangi

I agree that the Zhuchengtyrannus and Tsintaosaurus are their best theropod and ornithopod. I don't have them yet but they're on my list.

SRF

Quote from: Gwangi on May 17, 2022, 05:53:25 PMI agree that the Zhuchengtyrannus and Tsintaosaurus are their best theropod and ornithopod. I don't have them yet but they're on my list.

The only thing holding me back on ordering the Tsintaosaurus is its price tag. If it was in the Prehistoric Animal Models line I would probably have purchased this figure already. There are so many factors to judge a figure on to determine which one is best and when it comes to value for money, the Parasaurolophus is superior to the Tsintaosaurus.

Speaking of value for money, the Zhuchengtyrannus is probably PNSO's best figure in that regard. It's also the best engineered theropod figure PNSO has released in the last two years. There are virtually no notable seams on this figure, besides the articulated jaw. The only thing is that we can't really judge its scientific accuracy, but besides Wilson it's the most aestetically pleasing theropod figure from PNSO for me as well. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: