News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Anything Psittacosaurus

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, May 24, 2012, 09:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

This is my newest dinosaur, and he is an amazing little animal. He is from China originally( to clarify, this is where the fossil was found some years ago, when he was removed and taken to market, and not recently taken) with a short stop in the UK for cleaning and mounting. Lovely specimen. I named him Ghengis Nim , after Ghengis the conqueror, and Nimrod the character from the movie "Surface" Check out the amazing Jugals or cheek horns he has.
Had to make the choice when I purchased this animal , as the backbones are missing the processess. I could have had them restored /sculpted on, for an additional cost of a few hundred, or left the skeleton all original fossil material. Of course when they mount Psittacosaurs, they generally fabricate the ribs either from wood or resin as well, but this is considered common practice. So, it was a matter of wether to add fake components that had not preserved, to make the skeleton more realistic or not...I chose not to and maintain natural fossil material............Thoughts? The final picture shows the animal prior to mounting, without skull cleaned etc.

Update, the little guy is finally all paid for and will be on his way to me shortly. I am excited and worried , and hope he makes it through customs and across the atlantic in a single piece. Cross your fingers.  I will get more pictures when he arrives .

The dinosaur ships later today and should arrive within the week. I was also sent a picture tutorial how to build the mount, and instructions. I am excited !!!
I have altered the thread title and purpose. I have had the dinosaur here now for a bit and wanted to encourage anyone with pictures, models, information, anything to share at all about Psittacosaurus to feel free to post here. Anything is welcome, thoughts, drawings, models whatever you might wish to share, thanks

[attachment msg=10050][/attachment]
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

amargasaurus cazaui

The dinosaur arrived today from the UK in fine shape. Tomorrow I will put up a nice series of pictures showing him well so all can view from several angles. He is a nice specimen and I am spending the evening admiring the piece. His ribs came in a small plastic baggie in a hundred pieces and that will require some serious patience and work so I am unsure I will tackle them tonight.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Dinoguy2

It's a real skeleton? It looks nice and it's not like psittacosaur specimens are uncommon, but you realize exporting fossils from China and mongolia is illegal right?
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on June 12, 2012, 11:30:50 AM
It's a real skeleton? It looks nice and it's not like psittacosaur specimens are uncommon, but you realize exporting fossils from China and mongolia is illegal right?
It is an actual fossil Psittacosaurus. I am aware of the laws regarding the export of fossils from China, yes. If you are keen on the trends and what has been happening, you are doubtless aware the flow of dinosaur material as well as eggs has all but stopped from China. However prior to the blackout now imposed, thousands of the dinosaurs were removed from the country and are now stockpiled in various other countries.I purchased my dinosaur legally on Ebay from a reputable seller for the entire world to see. It was brought into the US through a FEDEX shipment directly through US customs legally. If you visit Ebay and do a search for Psittacosaurs, I am sure you can see a few of this guys little brothers up for sale right now.  The dealer I chose to buy from, is based in the UK and operates a lab there, in the study of this spendid animal. When I inquired where he sources his material he stated that none of their dinosaurs are sourced through China and that there remains an adequate stock on the world market from which to choose.
Similar could be said for the eggs, I have another thread displayed on. All are Chinese dinosaur eggs, brought to the world market prior to the embargo on fossil export. Again all purchased on Ebay from an established dealer, fairly and openly.
I understand your point and I would never be part of any attempt to steal fossils out of Chinese mainland in violation of their laws. If they are already on the world market and offered in a  public venue legally for sale, I see no problem in taking advantage of existing stock however. I do see the window closing for these dinosaur fossils, and view it with mixed feelings.

Seijun

To answer your original query, if it had been me buying, I would have had all the missing material resculpted in a different color, so it was easy to tell which parts were not real fossil, but still be able to see what the skeleton should look like completed.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Seijun on June 12, 2012, 07:11:27 PM
To answer your original query, if it had been me buying, I would have had all the missing material resculpted in a different color, so it was easy to tell which parts were not real fossil, but still be able to see what the skeleton should look like completed.
I considered that option, and the cost was not even unreasonable for said method. The issue that made me second guess myself is the missing pieces are spinous processes from the back verts, and in replacing them, nearly all of each vert surface would have been sculpted in another color. Once mounted, with the one side glued to the support rod, and the outer surface entirely covered with sculpt , I was worried the dinosaur would look like a candy cane type view.

amargasaurus cazaui

A few pictures since the dinosaur is here with me now and I have the ability to get cleaner more composed shots.

In the shot I labeled distortion you can see the compression in one eye orbit. The picture is taken down the length of the skull from behind, and if you look carefully at the eye orbits, the left is fully inflated while the right has buckled in, making the jugal arch out at a different angle. The lower temporal fenestrae had a broken bone at the rear edge forcing a repair when the skull was cleared of matrix. A relic of the fossilzation process, but it also helps prove that the specimen is real.
The final picture is why the ribs are replaced with resin copies. This is what I was sent for the actual ribs of the fossil.

Famous quote from gravestone in  Nanuet, New York

"Remember man as you walk by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now, so to you shall be....."

Abraham Lincoln's gravestone

"Now he belongs to the ages.

This is how i chose to display the little guy

[attachment msg=11539][/attachment]

Roktman

Great specimen!  IMHO I don't see anything wrong with adding missing parts to complete the skeleton. After all how many museums have mounted specimens made from numerous different fossil parts and/or man-made sculpts? Prolly 99%
So I think you're ok.   ;)

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Roktman on June 23, 2012, 02:29:17 AM
Great specimen!  IMHO I don't see anything wrong with adding missing parts to complete the skeleton. After all how many museums have mounted specimens made from numerous different fossil parts and/or man-made sculpts? Prolly 99%
So I think you're ok.   ;)

I might leave poor little Nim there as is, and acquire another one. If I could do it again, i think i would get a smaller and perhaps in the process slightly cheaper dinosaur, with a higher degree of preservation and perhaps if possible a different species of Psittacosaurus. If I could do it all the way I wanted, the next one would have resculpted sclerotics, a skull that is not badly compressed, and intact vert processes. I also might try for a different pose, for variation

amargasaurus cazaui

I have to admit, I came close to purchasing this little guy, but wow, the price kinda scared me off this time around. Still an amazing dinosaur.

http://www.triassica.com/fossils/dinosaur_fossils/psittacosaurus7/psittacosaurus_meileyingensis-1.html

If he were not quite so high priced I would have him already !!!

amargasaurus cazaui

As I keep studying this species and learning about them, I find myself rather curious. What does the common consensus suggest as uses for the jugal horns on these dinosaurs? Some had very pronounced horns while others were very subdued. There are Psittacosaurs with horns around their eyes or nose as well, but the jugal horns seemed to be somewhat consistent throughout most of the species. If they were a defensive weapon the attacker would be so close before he could bring them to bear, they would be a tad pointless it would seem.  Perhaps combined with the quills the overall effect was to create a visually intimidating creature? Ideas?

ZoPteryx

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 12, 2012, 09:45:09 PM
Perhaps combined with the quills the overall effect was to create a visually intimidating creature?

I'd think that's the most likely use, but probably more for intimidating rivals of its own species rather than predators.

Arioch

I doubt that would look very intimidating to any predator (it would rather rely in some kind of bright colors for that, and if things go wrong it still has a nasty beak). In the case of the horns and quills, mutual sexual selection or just mating display sounds better to me.

Gryphoceratops

When in doubt the answer to any curious feature can always be display.   ;D

amargasaurus cazaui

Awesome input and very helpful. As small as they are I just cannot see them as much help as a defensive type weapon, and I do not see any intrinsic use for them, as they do not seem to serve as attachment for muscles or anything of that sort. So best guess suggests either a sexual display or perhaps species identification type marking, from what you are suggesting. I keep looking at this little guy and wondering so,  thanks and quite appreciated guys.

amargasaurus cazaui

I took some time to visit the Wichita Museum of World Treasures to view their dinosaur collection. I had remembered from a previous visit some years back they had on display a Psittacosaurus . I recently acquired my own Psittacosaurus, so I thought it might be fun to compare the two mounts. There have always been a few lagging doubts in my mind, as often comes with any large purchase.
  I admit I was completely stunned by what I saw on display there. The dinosaur is larger than mine by far, and is made from what appears to be actual fossil and not a cast. However that is where the good ends in this case. I examined the dinosaur head to tail several times. The skull was never cleaned of matrix and appears broken and piecemeal glued to the support. The backbones are poorly aligned, out of sequence, and badly spaced down the entire length. That is before spotting the more glaring issues. The ribs are made of wood,(in looking more closely at the pictures, the ribs appear to be resin or some form of plastic just painted white with no effort at coloration or sculpting and at least one appears badly broken) and mixed within are also a few real ribs. The net effect is cheap and badly done. The arms are a disaster. From what I can see the humerus of the arms are attached to the spine, with no scapula present.In addition, pronated hands with the arms placed in a side by side alignment for radius and ulna. Upon closer study the one hand looks clearly out of proportion to the other suggesting it is actually made from foot material. The illium are slanted off badly, and the legs are misaligned badly as well. The lower legs and feet do not appear well cleaned or sealed. The net effect of the entire mount is....why would someone do this to a dinosaur and display it?. The smiling tour person explained to me this dinosaur was a stunning specimen. Have a look at the pictures and tell me your thoughts if you agree. For my own , I will never second guess or reconsider my own dinosaur again. I admit I am delighted and greatful after seeing this one.

Gryphoceratops

How long has that mount been up like that?

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on July 18, 2012, 06:46:03 AM
How long has that mount been up like that?

I honestly cannot establish that for certain. I know I saw it the first time roughly three years ago, prior to purchasing my own dinosaur of similar species. I can suggest that the name tag pictured states a clear date seemingly...MOWT( Museum of World Treasures)  7-26-003? To me that almost has to be a date given the format and suggests the date the piece was archived into the museums collections. That was part of the reason I was certain to picture the tag for you all to see. I admit when I look at that piece I feel like mine is a piece of artwork compared. It certainly made me feel vastly better about my own mount

Gryphoceratops

Yeah you are right this one doesn't look like it was put together very well.  Its sad since the other mounts they have seem to be done very nicely.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on July 18, 2012, 08:32:24 PM
Yeah you are right this one doesn't look like it was put together very well.  Its sad since the other mounts they have seem to be done very nicely.
I could not agree more. I was completely impressed with the entire museum aside from that hideous Psittacosaurus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: