News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

S.H Monsterarts

Started by KeU, July 29, 2013, 03:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeU

OK, these are not strictly dinosaur figures but they are too cool not to mention.
Has anyone heard of this Japanese kaiju/monster line?
They mostly do Godzilla figures, which is, in a way, a mutated dinosaur.
The figures are extremely well sculpted and articulated.
Some are even molded with translucent parts so that you can get awesome pictures while playing with the lighting.

CityRaptor

Oh yes, those look pretty awesome. Sadly I have none of them yet due to them being rather expensive.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

sauroid

S.H.Monsterarts' Destoroyah is one of the best kaiju figures ive ever seen
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

KeU

Quote from: sauroid on July 29, 2013, 03:42:50 PM
S.H.Monsterarts' Destoroyah is one of the best kaiju figures ive ever seen

It better be since it's commanding a 3 digit price tag.

sauroid

is SHMonsterarts authorised to make pacific rim figures? that would be awesome
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

KeU

Quote from: sauroid on July 30, 2013, 08:46:54 AM
is SHMonsterarts authorised to make pacific rim figures? that would be awesome
Hopefully, it's only NECA doing them now. It'll be great to see some Kaijus or Jaegers getting the Monsterarts treatment.
The line is expanding into Aliens and Predators now, so time will tell.

CityRaptor

Alien and Predator? Thought those wer going to be Figuarts.
Anyways, I think it also would be nice to get some more Skull Island Creatures in the line. The Playmates line sadly negated most of them in order to make more Versions of Kong...and gave the ones involved that stupid collapse feature.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

KeU

Quote from: CityRaptor on August 05, 2013, 01:59:50 PM
Alien and Predator? Thought those wer going to be Figuarts.
Anyways, I think it also would be nice to get some more Skull Island Creatures in the line. The Playmates line sadly negated most of them in order to make more Versions of Kong...and gave the ones involved that stupid collapse feature.
You might be right, I just saw photos of them in the S.H booth, so they might be Figuarts instead of Monsterarts.

Takama

With the new Godzilla Movie coming out. I have been thinking about investing in one of these models. Does anyone have any of these figures and are willing to show it next to a common dinosaur Replica (eg, Carnegie Spinosaurus, Papo Tyrannosaurus)

Blade-of-the-Moon

I've heard nothing but good things about them really.

Though they are on the pricey side. From what I understand NECA, the company behind many detailed film figures, plans to do Godzilla figures not just from the new film but also the classic monsters as well. Those should be just as detailed but more affordable.

Takama

A lot of Godzilla merchandise is on the pricey side. Heck, there are some DVDs I need that are for sale at ridiculous prices.

http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Vs-Mechagodzilla-Masaaki-Daimon/dp/B0002V7OE2/ref=sr_1_5?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1399859592&sr=1-5&keywords=Mechagodzilla

http://www.amazon.com/Son-Godzilla-Tadao-Takashima/dp/B00066KWCO/ref=sr_1_40?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1399859697&sr=1-40&keywords=Godzilla

http://www.amazon.com/Atragon-Tadao-Takashima/dp/B000BB18JK/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1399859887&sr=1-1&keywords=atragon (not a Godzilla movie, but it has a monster that appeared in Big G's movies that I wanted to see the origins of.

I understand that some of the toys are rare, and go into retirement (I collect those Bandai Vinyl figures), but come on, The DVDs are this way to?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on May 12, 2014, 02:59:40 AM
A lot of Godzilla merchandise is on the pricey side. Heck, there are some DVDs I need that are for sale at ridiculous prices.

http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Vs-Mechagodzilla-Masaaki-Daimon/dp/B0002V7OE2/ref=sr_1_5?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1399859592&sr=1-5&keywords=Mechagodzilla

http://www.amazon.com/Son-Godzilla-Tadao-Takashima/dp/B00066KWCO/ref=sr_1_40?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1399859697&sr=1-40&keywords=Godzilla

http://www.amazon.com/Atragon-Tadao-Takashima/dp/B000BB18JK/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1399859887&sr=1-1&keywords=atragon (not a Godzilla movie, but it has a monster that appeared in Big G's movies that I wanted to see the origins of.

I understand that some of the toys are rare, and go into retirement (I collect those Bandai Vinyl figures), but come on, The DVDs are this way to?

I guess it all depends. I sold a lot of the older G films on dvd back in March on ebay for around 35.00  , I have Atragon on vhs if interested...it does have Manda in it though the battle is sort of rehashed in Final Wars.  Now if you need any of the newer films I think walmart them on double disc sets for 13.00 now..maybe bluray/dvd ?

Takama

Most of the ones I seen at walmart were the 90s movies and 2000s series

I have noticed that godzilla vs gigan got a re release.  And I thanked god when they released biolantes film on dvd.   Here's hopping that the ones I need will be re released after the new one comes out

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on May 12, 2014, 04:45:23 AM
Most of the ones I seen at walmart were the 90s movies and 2000s series

I have noticed that godzilla vs gigan got a re release.  And I thanked god when they released biolantes film on dvd.   Here's hopping that the ones I need will be re released after the new one comes out

I was surprised when BioGoji was released on dvd myself..I paid around 30.00 for that vhs when it came out.  I think it all depends on who has the license. I still need to get some of the older films like Godzilla Raids Again / Gigantis on dvd.

Gwangisaur

I've owned the 1st release of Godzilla, 1st release Mechagodzilla, Baby Godzilla, and Space Godzilla. I've since sold off the original Godzilla and Mechagodzilla. They're great sculpt-wise, but they hadn't quite figured out how to maximize the posability with those early releases. Plenty of points of articulation, but non of them actually moved very much.

The figures tend to be much more poseable now. Space Godzilla is very good, and they've made major leaps since his release. However, they have cut down on accessories. Many of the monsters don't come with anything.

They're coming out with a with a version 2.0 of that 1st release Godzilla (the Heisei Godzilla from the 1990's) around August I think. He'd be a great figure to start your collection. And he does include a fire breath accessory and stand.

KeU

Quote from: Takama on May 11, 2014, 09:06:06 PM
With the new Godzilla Movie coming out. I have been thinking about investing in one of these models. Does anyone have any of these figures and are willing to show it next to a common dinosaur Replica (eg, Carnegie Spinosaurus, Papo Tyrannosaurus)

Here's some photos of the SHMA King Kong alongside the PAPO Tyrannosaurus. These photos are not mine, they belong to Justin Weinzierl. We are both in the Super Articulated Kaiju Collector Group on Facebook.

NECA has announced that they will be doing the 94 Godzilla. In my opinion, I don't think it looks anything like the actual suit. But, it's ~$20 so I'm not complaining.
Most of the SHMAs will set you back north of $60.

Most of the SHMA Godzillas are pretty safe bets. They have the 95 burning Godzilla, the 64 vers, G2K and the upcoming Godzilla Jr adult form. All these guys have improved articulation compared to the 1st Godzilla release.
Personally, I'll go for Burning Godzilla and Spacegodzilla. Both look together, contrasting blues and oranges.

I'll leave you guys with this final photo from Justin...

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.