News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Feathered dinosaur toys - you're doing it all wrong!

Started by Ridureyu, February 19, 2014, 09:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridureyu

As much as the Bullyland Velociraptor is in a weird pose and has gigantic teeth, is it the only toy raptor with long enough feathers?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Ridureyu on February 19, 2014, 09:31:18 PM
As much as the Bullyland Velociraptor is in a weird pose and has gigantic teeth, is it the only toy raptor with long enough feathers?
It could use some feathers around the face (and probably bigger, fluffier feathers overall), but other than that it's okay, accuracy wise.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 20, 2014, 07:25:07 AM
It could use some feathers around the face (and probably bigger, fluffier feathers overall), but other than that it's okay, accuracy wise.

Maybe so, but it still looks awful aesthetically with that 'dinosaur with feathers stuck on afterwards' look  :o

tyrantqueen

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 20, 2014, 09:04:43 AM

Maybe so, but it still looks awful aesthetically with that 'dinosaur with feathers stuck on afterwards' look  :o
Bullyland should just feather it like a modern bird. Looking at their eagles, they don't seem to have any issues doing that.

Patrx

If I recall correctly, it's also missing primary feathers on its wings. I think the Favorite version does have those, but it's pretty bald around the face and has some weird textures. If you want an up-to-date Velociraptor model - well, you're out of luck, but the closest thing I know if is the old Shapeways model by Aaron Doyle. I thought he was meaning to do an update, but it's not appeared yet.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Patrx on February 20, 2014, 09:50:10 AM

If I recall correctly, it's also missing primary feathers on its wings. I think the Favorite version does have those, but it's pretty bald around the face and has some weird textures. If you want an up-to-date Velociraptor model - well, you're out of luck, but the closest thing I know if is the old Shapeways model by Aaron Doyle. I thought he was meaning to do an update, but it's not appeared yet.
It may be old but it's still a magnificent model :)

Gwangi

All the toy companies need to stop making dinosaurs with feathers and start making birds with dinosaur features. Don't know if that makes any sense but all these companies make great model birds and horrid feathered dinosaurs. Just make birds and add the dinosaur stuff to it.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on February 20, 2014, 02:42:35 PM

All the toy companies need to stop making dinosaurs with feathers and start making birds with dinosaur features. Don't know if that makes any sense but all these companies make great model birds and horrid feathered dinosaurs. Just make birds and add the dinosaur stuff to it.
Yep, it makes sense. A lot of the time, the dinosaurs look like they have mange. If you're going to feather them, give them a full coat.

An example of how NOT to feather your dino:

We need more of this:

:))

DinoToyForum

Gwangi

It's a sad state because really, creating these things should be easy. If it has feathers...it looks like a bird. Not a mangy half-plucked lizard in a chicken costume. It's almost as if these artists are trying too hard to make a feathered dinosaur. We're surrounded by living feathered dinosaurs. Just look at the living dinosaurs and add the missing parts...teeth, claws and a tail. These are features that a lot of extinct birds had as well and even some modern birds have them (claws and beak serrations anyway). Looking at artwork like what you two posted is so refreshing, they look right, they look real. All that said, I know I'm preaching to the choir.

FUTABA

I think I've just fallen in love with the Ornithomimus picture.

I think CollectA are perhaps the (easily acquirable / affordable) company most likely to produce a highly realistic interpretation of a feathered dinosaur in the next few years. They've seriously upped their game recently.
I really really like blue things.

Concavenator

Quote from: FUTABA on February 20, 2014, 06:01:16 PM

I think CollectA are perhaps the (easily acquirable / affordable) company most likely to produce a highly realistic interpretation of a feathered dinosaur in the next few years. They've seriously upped their game recently.

Well a while back,I suggested a Deluxe Balaur,so wait and see.
BTW,this year CollectA's releasing 3 feathered dinosaurs (Therizinosaurus,Juv Tyrannosaurus and Bistahieversor)  ;)

FUTABA

Quote from: Concavenator on February 20, 2014, 06:19:12 PM

If that ends up in production I'll die happy.
I really really like blue things.

Concavenator

Quote from: FUTABA on February 20, 2014, 09:23:33 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on February 20, 2014, 06:19:12 PM

If that ends up in production I'll die happy.
Your welcome  ;)

Patrx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 20, 2014, 10:09:50 AM

Quite so! I only wish I'd painted my copy with more finesse - it was my first attempt and I did not do justice to the sculpt. As far as feathered Shapeways dinosaurs go, Aaron Doyle's unmatched. I was prepared to go on a tirade about how some toy company needs to start making proper feathered dinosaurs (instead of just dinosaurs with feathers), but I see several people have beaten me to the punch. The Lacerda and Willoughby images that have been posted would be ideal inspiration for a new Velociraptor figure.

Concavenator

Quote from: Patrx on February 20, 2014, 10:08:46 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 20, 2014, 10:09:50 AM

Quite so! I only wish I'd painted my copy with more finesse - it was my first attempt and I did not do justice to the sculpt. As far as feathered Shapeways dinosaurs go, Aaron Doyle's unmatched. I was prepared to go on a tirade about how some toy company needs to start making proper feathered dinosaurs (instead of just dinosaurs with feathers), but I see several people have beaten me to the punch. The Lacerta and Willoughby images that have been posted would be ideal inspiration for a new Velociraptor figure.
All dinosaurs may have had feathers...so I have a question...was Tyrannosaurus a feathered dinlosaur or simply a dinosaur with feathers?

Bokisaurus

Don't forget that CollectA already released two raptors with nicely done feather I think :D
Utahraptor

And this large deluxe Velociraptor ;)

the other feathered ones, like the Proceratosaurus and Theri are all nicely done as far as feathers on a dino go :))

Splonkadumpocus

Also, Safari's most recent Velociraptor from their Feathered Dinosaurs Toob is pretty well done and includes long arm feathers.

Patrx

The length of the arm feathers hasn't really been much of an issue, it's the placement. Generally, even if a figure has arm feathers, they begin at the wrist or on the third digit. What we should be seeing are feathers that begin on the second manual digit, covering most of the "hand" - it may help to start looking at the forelimbs as wings instead of arms. I suspect that part of the blame for such feather problems rests on an impulse to make the claws visible so as to make the creature more dangerous-looking.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.