News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)

Started by Concavenator, May 01, 2021, 11:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Hello and welcome to my collection thread!  :)

In this first post I will explain my collecting rules, what my posts here are about, and I will include 2 lists, one that features all figures in my collection and another one that includes my paleontology themed books. Both are updated as I get new acquisitions. And every once in a while I show my collection setup to see how it evolves.

1. Collecting rules

- Scientific accuracy is my main criterion. If there are several figures available of a certain animal I'm interested in, I tend to favor the most accurate version. And if I don't consider a figure accurate enough, then it's a skip for me.

- Related to the previous point, I don't buy figures of inaccurate pop-culture representations of prehistoric creatures, nor do I buy kaiju, dragon, monster figures and related, either. Only scientifically accurate figures of prehistoric animals.

- 1 figure per genus. If I'm interested in a figure of a genus I already have, the previous version has to go.

- I generally avoid getting figures of taxa known from fragmentary remains.

- I'm usually interested in collecting just some specific taxa.

- I'm not a completist, be it company wise or clade wise.

2. Posts

Figures from my collection are featured here. I include the following information about them:

Binomial name:
Name etymology:
Classified as:
Period:
Fossils found in:

Company:
Line:
Sculptor:
Based on:
Variant:
Color scheme inspired by:
Year of release:

Figures are individually reviewed. For each figure, I include an introductory section to the taxon with general information taken from the literature. Afterwards, I share my thoughts on the model.

When it comes to books, I include:

Name:
Author/s:
Publishing house:
Year of publication:

Followed by my thoughts/opinions on them.

Whenever I use any art (that's not mine), I reference the respective artist/s.

3. Collection List: UPDATED APRIL 2024

Non-dinosaurs

Deinotherium giganteum - Eofauna (2019)
Mosasaurus hoffmannii - CollectA, Deluxe (2023)

Ornithischians

Borealopelta markmitchelli - CollectA, Standard (2019)
Chasmosaurus belli - HAOLONGGOOD (2024)
Diabloceratops eatoni - Safari Ltd, Wild Safari (2013)
Pachycephalosaurus wyomingensis - PNSO, Prehistoric Animal Models (2021)
Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai - Safari Ltd, Wild Safari (2014)
Stegosaurus stenops - Safari Ltd, Wild Safari (2019)
Styracosaurus albertensis - PNSO, Prehistoric Animal Models (2022)
Tlatolophus galorum - Ancestors Models, Archosaur Collection (2023)
Zuul crurivastator - Kaiyodo, Dino Expo 2023 (2023)

Sauropodomorphs and herrerasaurids

Diplodocus carnegii - Eofauna (2022)
Shunosaurus lii - Safari Ltd, Wild Safari (2016)

Theropods

Anzu wyliei - Safari Ltd, Wild Safari (2018)
Beipiaosaurus inexpectus - Safari Ltd, Carnegie Collection (2006)
Concavenator corcovatus - Safari Ltd, Wild Safari (2020)
Dilophosaurus wetherilli - HAOLONGGOOD (2023)
Microraptor zhaoianus - Safari Ltd, Wild Safari (2017)
Qianzhousaurus sinensis - Safari Ltd, Wild Safari (2020)
Velociraptor mongoliensis - Creative Beast Studio, Beasts of the Mesozoic Raptor Series (2022)

4. Library: UPDATED JANUARY 2022

Brusatte, S. (2019). Auge y caída de los dinosaurios. Debate.
Molina-Pérez, R., & Larramendi, A. (2020). Dinosaur facts and figures: the sauropods and other sauropodomorphs. Princeton.
Dixon, D. (2010). La enciclopedia ilustrada de los dinosaurios y otros animales prehistóricos. Ediciones Omega.
Molina-Pérez, R., & Larramendi, A. (2016). Récords y curiosidades de los dinosaurios terópodos y otros dinosauromorfos. Larousse.
Parker, T. (2021). Saurian: a field guide to Hell Creek. Titan Books.

5. Collection Setup: UPDATED JANUARY 2023

May 2021
October 2021
November 2021
April 2022
January 2023

Halzk

This is the kind of collections I really like: Quaint little collections with high quality figures, I'm impressed.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

A beautiful collection, many lovelies, especially the Eofauna and Carnegies.
Where do you get that Mesozoo Allosaurus europaeus though?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Bread

Wonderful collection! Were the amount of scuffs on Safari's rex due to constant falls? I know that figure has quite a bit of stability issues.

Libraraptor

Concavenator

So this is my collection as of May 2021:

Leyster

Very nice collection, I admit I'm a bit envious of the Carnegie sauropods!
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SidB

It's good to see your collection nicely spaced to properly display the figures against the white background, not packed together like sardines. Definitely quality over mere quantity.

Concavenator

Quote from: Leyster on May 02, 2021, 11:46:57 AMVery nice collection, I admit I'm a bit envious of the Carnegie sauropods!

Thanks! It's an honor that you tell me that, I really like your collection thread.

Quote from: SidB on May 02, 2021, 11:53:14 AMIt's good to see your collection nicely spaced to properly display the figures against the white background, not packed together like sardines. Definitely quality over mere quantity.

Thanks, SidB. Yes, I don't like when figures are all packed together, I like having everything spaced and organized. And I definitely try to strive for quality!

Eocarcharia

As others have said, a very nice and well-organized collection of choice models.

Halichoeres

Very nice collection. I'm particularly fond of the non-dinosaur shelf, some real treasures there.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Leyster

Quote from: Concavenator on May 02, 2021, 12:41:25 PM
Quote from: Leyster on May 02, 2021, 11:46:57 AM
Very nice collection, I admit I'm a bit envious of the Carnegie sauropods!

Thanks! It's an honor that you tell me that, I really like your collection thread.
Wow, thank you!
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Shonisaurus

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Beautiful and varied collection! You have the Mesozoo allosaurus, I suppose Manuel Gil Jaramillo would have planned to do the expected spinosaurus, but it is taking time, I suppose until we are all vaccinated and the pandemic is fully resolved. My congratulations for your figures, in my case I have my two Eofauna triceratops on the waiting list in Alcaiceria. Thanks for sharing.

I am glad that you have encouraged to publish photos. Magnificent collection.

Concavenator

Thanks to all for stopping by!

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 02, 2021, 05:06:49 PMI'm particularly fond of the non-dinosaur shelf, some real treasures there.

That's one of my favorite shelves too. I certainly don't have a lot of non-dinosaurs, but I'm very happy with the ones I have.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 03, 2021, 04:26:00 PMavatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Beautiful and varied collection! You have the Mesozoo allosaurus, I suppose Manuel Gil Jaramillo would have planned to do the expected spinosaurus, but it is taking time, I suppose until we are all vaccinated and the pandemic is fully resolved. My congratulations for your figures, in my case I have my two Eofauna triceratops on the waiting list in Alcaiceria. Thanks for sharing.

I am glad that you have encouraged to publish photos. Magnificent collection.
Yes, and I think I'm one of the few forum members to have this model. I really like it, and despite Allosaurus being my all time favorite dinosaur, I picked it up only after learning it is based on A.europaeus, a species I didn't have. I'm happy with it.
And you'll absolutely love the Eofauna Trikes. I firstly got the Cryptic one, i thought it was okay, but I preferred the Dominant. But now that I have it it's easily one of my favorite figures in my entire collection. It is that good. However, and as an exception for me, I think I'll get the Dominant version too. And I finally came to posting pics as it is much easier than I thought it would be!

Concavenator

This is currently my collection (October 2021):

SidB

The white shelving certainly makes these high-quality figures stand out. If lack of space becomes a big problem, perhaps acquiring and installing more shelves can make the bookshelf more accommodating?

Concavenator

S @SidB Thanks for stopping by!  :)

Quote from: SidB on October 15, 2021, 01:53:20 AMIf lack of space becomes a big problem, perhaps acquiring and installing more shelves can make the bookshelf more accommodating?

I'll have to think about some solutions. ;D I will probably be looking into getting a cabinet similar to avatar_Duna @Duna 's, so my collection could be in safer conditions. As it's currently exposed, I have to dust the figures periodically.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Congrats on your lovely acquisitions, your shelves are looking great, many nice figures.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Grimbeard

Great selection of models and the white shelve does indeed make them pop out more.

Funny how your two 2 Schleich Dinosarus are the same two I bought: The Diabloceratops is currently in my off-shelve while I got the Parasaurolopuhs for my niece last christmas since i thought it was a great mix of reasonable accuracy, nice color scheme and durability.

My Eofaunce Giga has the same stability issues, I hope they can improve the stability on their next biped model since their sculpts are so nice and natural.

Duna

That's a collection selected with a lot of taste, congrats, avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator  ^-^

I highly suggest you divide each space horizontally with another middle shelf, you could display them better and a few more figures if you want (we don't know what Eofauna and PNSO and others will do in the future).  :))
The middle shelf could be done on white melamine covered wood (in Leroy Merlin for example they cut them as you wish and are quite cheap) or in glass, that would be nice too, specially if you decide in the future to light the shelves.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.