News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Geoworld New for 2015

Started by Takama, December 17, 2014, 11:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Well Geoworld has released there new Catalog for 2015

http://www.youblisher.com/p/1034364-Dr-Steve-Hunters-catalog/

In it are the new Marine Reptiles, but it looks like this is only the Spring one. and so the Before Dino models and Crocodiles are not listed

Befoare anyone asks.   YES The Elamosaurus looks like the Carnegie model and the Mosasaurus looks like the Wild Safari model.   let the fire commence

DinoLord

I find the "Tyloasaurus" coloration scheme to be pretty neat, though I think it would have better suited a smaller species rather than a huge apex predator. The rest of them aren't too bad but nothing special either IMO. The bases are an interesting inclusion.

laticauda

Instead of taking it slow, and releasing really nice prehistoric toys, lets release a whole lot (many of which look only a little different from each other).  This years crop is not looking an more appealing than the year before.  Just my thoughts. 

suspsy

The Mosasaurus and Tylosaurus don't have tail flukes. Pass.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

ignite444

Eeeeehhhhhh. This is why I only have a few Geoworld models. Though I do admit these look better than their dinosaurs.
My Latest Review: Rebor King T-Rex

Gwangi

It's not just the Elasmosaurus and Kronosaurus. The Mosasaurus looks like the WS model too. And the Lioplurodon...well that looks like every Lio since WWD. This is easily one of GeoWorld's worst efforts. Three models are direct rip-offs of other toys, most of them outdated. And you can spot that immediately. Not that ANY of these actually look like decent models anyway.

Manatee

The Kronosaurus card picture looks so familiar, but I just can't place it.
Also, seriously, what the heck have they done with the Lio's proportions? It looks like a shrunken down mosasaur with slit pupils. Not impressed.

stargatedalek

First of all, I have to say that I'm really liking those stands, and I hope they do a line of pterosaurs using those. Secondly I have to say I like the colour-schemes, no not the paint apps per-se, but the colour-schemes just generally appeal to me, especially that tylosaurus. Lastly I have to say that the molds shown here are frankly abysmal and I would not dream of purchasing them except perhaps at discount prices.

I am however very hopeful for the crocodiles and "before dinosaurs" lines, (with the exception of dimetrodon) those two line ups don't seem to have as many pop culture influences, and as such I think its less likely that Geoworld would screw them up.

Gwangi

Wait guys....just wait a second. It says right on that thing that they're paleontologist approved. Who are we to argue with a real live paleontologist? I'm sure they know what they're doing over at GeoWorld!

Daspletodave

Quote from: Gwangi on December 18, 2014, 12:18:00 AM
It's not just the Elasmosaurus and Kronosaurus. The Mosasaurus looks like the WS model too. And the Lioplurodon...well that looks like every Lio since WWD. This is easily one of GeoWorld's worst efforts. Three models are direct rip-offs of other toys, most of them outdated. And you can spot that immediately. Not that ANY of these actually look like decent models anyway.

Agreed. The Kronosaurus, Elasmosaurus, and Tylosaurus are copied from the Carnegie line, the Icthyosaurus is a copy of the Bullyland version, the Mosasaurus is a copy of the Wild Safari version, and the Liopleurodon is based on the WWD/WS version.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Not really impressed. 

Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, isn't GeoWorld the same company that produces some really awesome life size dinosaurs? If so it's a shame the same artist that creates them can't be brought on to make smaller figures for their line.

ignite444

Quote from: Gwangi on December 18, 2014, 01:29:24 AM
Wait guys....just wait a second. It says right on that thing that they're paleontologist approved. Who are we to argue with a real live paleontologist? I'm sure they know what they're doing over at GeoWorld!

I want to see this guy's/girl's Ph.D in Paleontology before I believe this.
My Latest Review: Rebor King T-Rex

Manatee

Quote from: ignite444 on December 18, 2014, 02:08:43 AM

I want to see this guy's/girl's Ph.D in Paleontology before I believe this.
The guy's name is Stefano Piccini. Doesn't have very high standards, does he?

Arul

No fluke tail on mosasaur ? Well fluke or not is still on debate...

Megalosaurus

I pass on all these. Let's wait for the other figures to show.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

DinoToyForum

They don't look particularly good. I think I mentioned in another thread that the eyes are in the wrong sockets in the pliosaurs and the elasmosaur too by the look of it. Even so, I still won't be able to resist! I like that they come with stands :)

SBell

Keep in mind, they're also "Perfect Scale", whatever that's supposed to mean, since the line is not to scale within itself--and everything is a scale model of it's real life counterpart, so the phrase is pointless.

Here's the thing--I like parts of the Jurassic Hunters concept. The info cards, I think, are miles ahead of what any other company has ever done. Ever. Put together, it makes one heck of a great field guide.

The colour schemes, are generally unique (save for their paleoart inspiration, I suppose). The application leaves much to be desired.

The range of species is great, and some of the specifics--like the marine animal stands as well as the bipeds' bases--are an excellent idea.

Now they just need a sculptor or manufacturer that can bring the vision to the realm of 'good'. I have several Jurassic Hunters dinos. I'm holding off on the mammals until the Canadian supplier can get them here without using UPS from the USA (I'm not insane--they charge $55 just for charging taxes...).

But these marine animals are not holding up against what exists--who would pay $12 for their mosasaurs when the fantastic CollectA sells for less than $10? Or the Carnegie Ichtyosaur? Or the WS elasmosaurus?

In short--not blown away. They'd make good toys. Use the stands for other figures.

Gwangi

Yes, we have a much better range of figures for all of these genera. A lot of wonderful marine reptile models out there by Safari, CollectA and Carnegie. I agree with your positives Sbell, like you said, we just need the models to actually be good themselves! Maybe someday. CollectA took awhile to improve, so did WS and in a world where Battat models are making a come back anything can happen!

sauroid

i got a deja vu looking at all their new marine reptiles. i wouldnt mind buying any GeoWorld figures, for a dollar each.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Brontozaurus

Literally the only positive I can think of is that their Kronosaurus is slightly better proportioned than the WS one.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.