News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 10 Carnegie Collection toys [Completed]

Started by Gwangi, March 12, 2015, 11:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your choices for the top 10 Carnegie Models

Stegosaurus
1 (1.3%)
Tyrannosaurus
3 (3.8%)
Brachiosaurus
14 (17.9%)
Apatosaurus
5 (6.4%)
Apatosaurus baby
0 (0%)
Parasaurolophus
1 (1.3%)
Triceratops
1 (1.3%)
Allosaurus
4 (5.1%)
Australopithecus male
1 (1.3%)
Australopithecus female
1 (1.3%)
Diplodocus
13 (16.7%)
Maiasaura on eggs
4 (5.1%)
Euoplocephalus
1 (1.3%)
Dimetrodon
5 (6.4%)
Pteranodon
0 (0%)
Protoceratops
2 (2.6%)
Smilodon
2 (2.6%)
Deinonychus
3 (3.8%)
Pachycephalosaurus
0 (0%)
Elasmosaurus
1 (1.3%)
Mosasaurus
2 (2.6%)
Iguanodon
5 (6.4%)
Spinosaurus
1 (1.3%)
Corythosaurus
18 (23.1%)
Dilophosaurus pair
6 (7.7%)
Plateosaurus
4 (5.1%)
Deinosuchus
3 (3.8%)
Maiasaura and nest
7 (9%)
Carnotaurus (1997)
2 (2.6%)
Kronosaurus
7 (9%)
Saltasaurus
7 (9%)
Quetzalcoatlus
1 (1.3%)
Deltadromeus
5 (6.4%)
Baryonyx
1 (1.3%)
Psittacosaurus
6 (7.7%)
10th Anniversary Commemorative Tyrannosaurus
10 (12.8%)
Triceratops (2000)
3 (3.8%)
Tanystropheus
9 (11.5%)
Dimetrodon (2001)
9 (11.5%)
Acrocanthosaurus
3 (3.8%)
Styracosaurus
3 (3.8%)
Camarasaurus
18 (23.1%)
Woolly Mammoth
13 (16.7%)
Velociraptor
0 (0%)
Albertosaurus
5 (6.4%)
Sinraptor
6 (7.7%)
Oviraptor
2 (2.6%)
Ankylosaurus
14 (17.9%)
Beipiaosaurus
13 (16.7%)
Microraptor
14 (17.9%)
Caudipteryx
10 (12.8%)
Dilong
8 (10.3%)
Amargasaurus
23 (29.5%)
Oviraptor (update)
8 (10.3%)
Diplodocus (2008)
43 (55.1%)
Giganotosaurus
35 (44.9%)
Tylosaurus
37 (47.4%)
Spinosaurus (2009)
22 (28.2%)
Ichthyosaurus
28 (35.9%)
Cryolophosaurus
16 (20.5%)
Miragaia
38 (48.7%)
Carnotaurus (2011)
43 (55.1%)
Brachiosaurus (2012)
36 (46.2%)
Concavenator
7 (9%)
Tyrannosaurus 25th Anniversary
12 (15.4%)
Velociraptor (2015)
15 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Gwangi

Here it is, the poll to end all polls (not really). This will no doubt require a lot of soul searching but with Carnegie no longer releasing new models it only seems appropriate to take a hard look at what they did achieve and see who comes out on top. Happy voting everyone!

EDIT: The models are all listed in order of release.

Takama

Forgot the original Mosasaurus, Pluse can you put a year next to one of the Diplodocus?

Gwangi

Quote from: Takama on March 12, 2015, 11:29:24 PM
Forgot the original Mosasaurus, Pluse can you put a year next to one of the Diplodocus?

It's on there, number 21 on the poll. Yes, I can add the year for the Diplodocus.

Takama

MY top ten was tricky to pick, but i chopped it up to ones i have the most fond memory's of.

I picked Coyrthosaurus because it was my first Carnegie model Ever.

I picked Deltadromeus, because it was one that  got me and my Dad curious back in the day.

I picked Mosasaurus, because i remember seeing it at School when our music teacher used to display her entire collection on here desk.

I picked Diplodocus Version one, due to its immense size.

I Picked Smilodon because it was my most Saght after model.

I picked Dilong, because it was cool to me the first time i saw it.

I picked Giganotosaurus, because it was the best model of that species ever to me. (I was going to pick Spinosaurus 2009, but recent discovery s have ruined it for me)

I picked Tanystropheus, because i liked the posable neck

I Picked Tylosaurus, because the model made that genus my favorite Marine reptile back in 2009

and finally, i picked the Crylophosaurus, because mine was able to stand on its own two feet without issue, and the head was great (Plus my Ex Girlfriend opened the package it came in, and freaked out).

Arul

Absolutely tylosaurus !! Still a great figure

laticauda

Not that it matters but here are my picks and why.

Diplodocus:  Oh man, I could not wait to own this guy, and it has been on continuous display since the 90's.

Corythosaurus:  I thought it was simply stunning years ago during the 90's, and it still looks great now.

Saltasaurus: Strange one I know, but it has a certain charm about it.

Camarasaurus:  Just one solid dinosaur

Ankylosaurus:  Didn't like it at first, now I just find it beautiful

Amaragasaurus:  Not sure why, I just like it.

Miragaia:  It is an stunning stegosaur

Ichthyosaurus:  The detail and the colors, it simply works.

Giganotosaurus:  The detail and size just make for a great figure.  Certainly immpressive

Tylosaurus:  Just beat out the Strycosaurs.  The Styracosaurus is a personal love due to a father-daughter connection , but just look at the Tylosaurus, does personal setiment really trump that wonderful sculpt. Not this time.

Takama

Quote from: laticauda on March 13, 2015, 02:15:30 AM
Not that it matters but here are my picks and why.

Diplodocus:  Oh man, I could not wait to own this guy, and it has been on continuous display since the 90's.

Corythosaurus:  I thought it was simply stunning years ago during the 90's, and it still looks great now.

Saltasaurus: Strange one I know, but it has a certain charm about it.

Camarasaurus:  Just one solid dinosaur

Ankylosaurus:  Didn't like it at first, now I just find it beautiful

Amaragasaurus:  Not sure why, I just like it.

Miragaia:  It is an stunning stegosaur

Ichthyosaurus:  The detail and the colors, it simply works.

Giganotosaurus:  The detail and size just make for a great figure.  Certainly immpressive

Tylosaurus:  Just beat out the Strycosaurs.  The Styracosaurus is a personal love due to a father-daughter connection , but just look at the Tylosaurus, does personal setiment really trump that wonderful sculpt. Not this time.

Funny thing about the Camerasaurus, Its actually partially hollow (a member on another forum has a unpainted prototype, and it has a cover on its chest)

Pachyrhinosaurus

I would vote for them all! It was hard to limit myself to 10, but I had to choose some of the newer ones, like the dippy, and the classics such as the maiasauria on its nest. I also voted for both brachiosaurs (one of my first Carnegies), the miragaia, new carnotaurus, spinosaurus (the most accurate on the market when it first came out), updated oviraptor, and although its still in the mail- velociraptor.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

tyrantqueen

It was hard to choose. But if I was in a burning building, and could only save three, I picked:

1. Commemorative Anniversary rex.
2. Giganotosaurus.
3. Diplodocus.

It is in these models that I feel what is so great about Forest Rogers' style is represented. She improved from her previous sculpts but still retains the heavy wrinkling that many of the older Carnegies have, which I like. Around the time the Concavenator was released I started to lose interest in the line due to my own perceived change in its direction. I don't know whether it was down to Forest Rogers' style changing, or a change in the manufacturing process (I suspect the latter) but the paintwork and detailing seemed inferior in comparison to older models.

RIP Carnegie line :'(

Blade-of-the-Moon

Frickin' hard...but I went with mostly nostalgic choices. More and more accurate dinos are being made nowadays but none will replace my original Brachiosaurus and Stegosaurus my grandmother bought me. Same goes for the Mosasaur I found on a trip to Biltmore , or the afternoons after school going to the school supply store and buying a new one with grade card money.

Dinomike

My top three Carnegies:
1. Carnotaurus, a beautiful, elegant model and a pleasant paint scheme
2. Spinosaurus 2009, yes, it' s outdated but still a beautiful piece, uset it as a reference for my own sculpts
3. The hefty old Brachio - my first and most loved Carnegie dino in the 80s

I also voted for Miragaia, Giganotosaurus, the old and new Diplodocus, the new Brachiosaurus, Ankylosaurus and Amargasaurus. It was a difficult task! I also love the Dilophosaurus pair and Camarasaurus. Thank you Carnegie and Safari for all of these stunning models!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

John

It turns out just picking even ten was difficult...
Protoceratops (1989)
Iguanodon (1992)
Dilophosaurus pair (1994)
Plateosaurus (1995)
Dimetrodon (2001)
Styracosaurus (2002)
Mammoth (2003)
Ichthyosaurus (2010)
Carnotaurus (2011)
Tyrannosaurus rex (2014)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Arul

Giganotosaurus...too bad i forgot to vote it i love that figure, maybe because i love the tylo most :-[

laticauda

Quote from: Takama on March 13, 2015, 02:30:29 AM
Quote from: laticauda on March 13, 2015, 02:15:30 AM
Camarasaurus:  Just one solid dinosaur[/b]

Funny thing about the Camerasaurus, Its actually partially hollow (a member on another forum has a unpainted prototype, and it has a cover on its chest)

Actually I ment solid in slang form which is to describe something as being superior, or excellent.   ;)  Yet I never knew that it was partially hollow, so thats a cool fact.

Gwangi

Alright, even though I made the poll yesterday I had to do a lot of soul searching before I could actually vote. Naturally I had to leave out a lot of favorites. Basically I decided to vote for 5 retro figures based on age and nostalgia and 5 modern figures.

Top 5 Old Carnegies
Brachiosaurus (original)
Protoceratops nest
Deinonychus trio
Corythosaurus
Plateosaurus

Top 5 New Carnegies
Ankylosaurus
Amargasaurus
Ichthyosaurus
Miragaia
Carnotaurus

I'm slightly devastated because I forgot to vote for the 2008 Diplodocus, a hands down favorite but all well, I can't change it now.

Here are my honorable mentions!
Diplodocus 2008 (which should be in my top 10)
Tylosaurus
Camarasaurus
Tanystropheus
Psittacosaurus
Maiasaura on eggs
Elasmosaurus

Daspletodave

All the best Carnegies are from 2002 onwards. Before that they were a joke.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Daspletodave on March 13, 2015, 08:54:37 PM
All the best Carnegies are from 2002 onwards. .......

That's right.

....... Before that they were a joke.

Untrue!
Some of them were (such as Spinosaurus or Mosasaurus), some of them weren't (such as Corythosaurus or Apatosaurus).

Gwangi

Come on man, why do you have to bring that kind of hate into this thread? Just vote for who you like and move on. Or if you don't like them, at least say so with a bit of class. Now the thread will inevitably get derailed and tempers will flair in what was an otherwise amicable topic. All I'm going to say is this...context. You gotta take it all in context. Old Carnegies may not have aged very well but I dare you to travel back to 1988 and find something better than the Carnegie line...or Invicta for that matter. Maybe you never had the chance to be an 8 year old kid who held the 1:40 scale Carnegie Brachiosaurus in your hands for the first time. People are so spoiled these days...

postsaurischian

Quote from: Gwangi on March 13, 2015, 09:24:38 PM

....... I dare you to travel back to 1988 and find something better than the Carnegie line...or Invicta for that matter. Maybe you never had the chance to be an 8 year old kid who held the 1:40 scale Carnegie Brachiosaurus in your hands for the first time. People are so spoiled these days...

I was 22 when I held the first Carnegie row in my hands ;D and I can definitely tell you that in late 1988 there was nothing better on the toy market than Carnegie and Invicta.

Gwangi

Quote from: postsaurischian on March 13, 2015, 09:39:42 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on March 13, 2015, 09:24:38 PM

....... I dare you to travel back to 1988 and find something better than the Carnegie line...or Invicta for that matter. Maybe you never had the chance to be an 8 year old kid who held the 1:40 scale Carnegie Brachiosaurus in your hands for the first time. People are so spoiled these days...

I was 22 when I held the first Carnegie row in my hands ;D and I can definitely tell you that in late 1988 there was nothing better on the toy market than Carnegie and Invicta.

So you're definitely not spoiled by what we have around now with what you had to contend with back in the day!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.