News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 14, 2020, 02:56:06 PM
Safari Ltd Sarcosuchus
Scale: 1:30-1:35
Sculptor: Doug Watson
Released: 2020
Hauterivian-Albian of Africa
All of the previous versions were ugly (CollectA, Mojö) or tiny (Favorite, Safari TOOB, Joy City). A big animal like this deserves a big figure, and this version will do nicely. I hadn't realized this before, but Sarcosuchus had an absolutely gigantic conjoined naris in the center of its snout. Whether that means it would have had huge openings in the soft tissue, I don't know. Maybe, if it helped accommodate some of the teeth in the lower jaw. Either way, I'm very happy to see another Watson pseudosuchian, following up on the Kaprosuchus, Plesiosuchus, and Prestosuchus. It was also very timely, saving me from having to consider the Rebor or Mattel versions of Sarcosuchus.

With the Carnegie Deinosuchus.

These bois look just delectable compared to each other like this! I can't wait to grab the Sarco for myself.  ^-^

Halichoeres

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

Quote from: Killekor on January 15, 2020, 11:45:27 AM
Thanks for the photos and information, Halicoeres! And congratulations for your new acquisitions!

The new Safari figures looks amazing, and I can see that Mr. Watson corrected the Edmontosaurus's feet adding hooves to it and making the figure perfect! Plus, I really like the new Sarcosuchus!

Killekor

I don't notice any alteration, I think they have the mittens that hadrosaurs have been depicted with for a while now.

Quote from: Bokisaurus on January 16, 2020, 07:29:14 PM
Wow, I really love those new fishes you have! Almost makes me want to start sculpting again :))

I hope that you do!

Quote from: Megalosaurus on January 17, 2020, 07:51:42 PM
Hey Tim. Those artificial animals fishes are amazing!

Thanks, Juan! They were quite expensive but worth every penny.

On a side note, I have edited the first post of this thread with a complete, clickable list of all the (relatively) mass produced figures in my collection. I hope that will make this thread more useful as a reference. I know some people use it that way, but it must be pretty cumbersome in its current form. Critiques welcome.

Also, here's a couple of comparison photos I forgot to include in the previous update:

Pachycephalosaurus with its victuals.

A couple of tiny ornithischians (Science & Nature Atlascopcosaurus/Leaellynasaura, Favorite Koshisaurus).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I always love going through this thread, a lovely collection with great goals, lovely right-ups and great photography.
Also thank you for convincing me not to get the Icthyosaurus, and to get the others, not that you knew you were doing so lol. Can't wait to get these, especially the Edmontosaurus and Deinonychus
Speaking of which, do you know how the Deinonychus and Velociraptor look together?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Faelrin

Thank you for compiling that list together. That will certainly be very handy to use, especially when I might be curious about comparisons or scale of a particular figure.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ceratopsian

stegosauria

I tried out the list- it's really cool that you don't have to go through your whole thread to find something because these links open up your thread at that particular post (except the Pawpawsaurus- it just opens at page 35 but the Pawpawsaurus isn't in that page).

Killekor

Thanks for the list, avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres ! I was really curious to read what figures did you have in your collection! I'm sure that it will become an important reference list in the forum, considering that you always search for the best models.

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Halichoeres

Thanks, everyone--I'm happy that people will find it useful!

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 19, 2020, 11:04:50 PM
I always love going through this thread, a lovely collection with great goals, lovely right-ups and great photography.
Also thank you for convincing me not to get the Icthyosaurus, and to get the others, not that you knew you were doing so lol. Can't wait to get these, especially the Edmontosaurus and Deinonychus
Speaking of which, do you know how the Deinonychus and Velociraptor look together?
Thanks so much for the kind words! I am not sure where my Velociraptor is (so many things are still in boxes), but when it surfaces I'll try to remember to snap a photo of the two together if nobody beats me to it.

Quote from: stegosauria on January 20, 2020, 08:37:58 AM
I tried out the list- it's really cool that you don't have to go through your whole thread to find something because these links open up your thread at that particular post (except the Pawpawsaurus- it just opens at page 35 but the Pawpawsaurus isn't in that page).

Interesting, thanks for letting me know. I've confirmed that the link as copied was correct. However, you're right that it doesn't go where it ought to go. I think it might be because the thread contains/contained comments that have since been deleted, which messes up the numbering system. If so, I might have a lot of links to fix! I've adjusted that one so that it just goes to the page where I show Pawpawsaurus, rather than the specific post--best I can do for now. Thanks again!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Halichoeres

Bilaterians of the Jurassic!

Mattel Ornitholestes (Jurassic World)
Scale: 1:10
Upper Jurassic Laurasia
Like Deinonychus, Ornitholestes has been replaced in my collection several times, except in this case it wasn't because there were good versions with minor flaws, but because almost every version was ugly as sin. This one from Mattel is far from ideal, but it doesn't have the erroneous nose horn, and with the exception of its nakedness it roughly resembles a coelurosaur. Replaces both my DeAgostini and my ThunderBeasts versions.

Incredibly, in the space of about a year, Mattel has single-handedly purged Multi Toy (ThunderBeasts) from my collection. An impressive feat! There are lots of other minor companies I'd like to see gone from my shelves, too--get on it, toy companies!

These are not without a certain charm, but it's honestly a type of charm I can do without.

Safari Ltd Dilophosaurus
Scale: 1:35
Sculptor: Doug Watson
This might be the first Dilophosaurus since the Carnegie pair to actually be around 1:35-1:40; almost all other versions, including Battat's, Rebor's, and Papo's, are much larger. It makes for a better scale match for other Jurassic dinosaurs, although most other Jurassic dinosaur figures are from much later in the period. There is very, very little from the early Jurassic. I like this relaxed but alert posture. Unlike Patrx's copy, mine doesn't stand with the tail aloft, but I don't have a problem with the tail tip resting on the shelf. Replaces my Papo version.

Geoworld Perisphinctes
Scale: 1:6 or so, specimens vary
Released: 2001?
Middle-Upper Jurassic 
That's right, Geoworld! A user on STS found this little magnet figurine, part of a set, in a shop in Florida, and bought sets for me and a couple of other members. The package said "Jurassic Sea Creatures," and by gum, they were really all Jurassic sea creatures! At first I thought, well, this is a promising new direction for Geoworld. But the package said ©2001, and when I opened it, there was an odd odor like something slightly burnt. I surmise that it's what PVC fumes smell like after almost two decades in a blister pack. Maybe this is what Geoworld used to be?

Similar in scale to the CollectA Australiceras.

Geoworld Stenopterygius
Scale: 1:45
Lower Jurassic
This was the part of the Jurassic Sea Creatures set I was least excited about, but it happens that I don't have a Stenopterygius (ROM made one, and some Ichthyosaurus figures are probably a better match for Stenopterygius). So I'm keeping it for now... 

...even though the reverse side is missing half a trunk and both right limbs. What's odd to me, assuming this was intended for display on refrigerators, is that they gave this side an eye, nose, and mouth! You can also clearly see the Geoworld imprint, although no year is stamped on the figure.

It turns out that it's roughly to scale with some of my other Lower Jurassic ichthyosaurs. (The size differences are slightly exaggerated by differences in depth of field.)

Geoworld Cidaris
Scale: 1:3-1:7 depending on species
Upper Triassic-Recent
This slate-pencil urchin is the part of the set that I got most excited about. The genus Cidaris still has living representatives, although none display this color palette, as far as I'm aware. Cidaris was definitely part of the Jurassic fauna of what is now western Eurasia, including the common C. elegans (not to be confused with the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans commonly used in developmental genetics research!). Unlike the ammonite and ichthyosaur, this was designed to rest perpendicularly on a metal surface, so it's easy to incorporate into a shelf display. I'm basing the scale estimate on the handful of photos I could find of the tests of fossil Cidaris that included scale bars. 

With the Bullyland medusa. If the jelly represents Rhizostomites, they're contemporaries. Fun fact I learned while reading up on Cidaris: "urchin" is an old word for a hedgehog, so sea urchins are sea hedgehogs!

With Kaiyodo's Pleurocystites; these two were separated by at least 190 million years. As far as I'm aware, this is every toy prehistoric echinoderm that has ever been made. I would love to see CollectA make a Seirocrinus, the gigantic Jurassic sea lily that floated across the ocean attached to driftwood. I mean, I'd love to see anybody make one, but it's the sort of oddball thing CollectA specifically might be into.

If this set of magnets was really made in 2001, then that year was probably the best year ever for collectors of strange taxa, with Kaiyodo's Dinotales 1 & 2, Yowie's Lost Kingdoms B, and the ROM Primeval Predators kit all debuting. That also makes the recent state of Geoworld seem even sadder--evidently they used to be this awesome! I have no idea if additional magnet sets were made, but I certainly haven't been able to find any on the Internet. If anybody knows about the extent of this line, I'd love to hear about it. I think these merit a review on the blog, which I'll gladly tackle unless B @bmathison1972  is planning to do so.

bmathison1972

Tim, please review these on the blog if you'd like. I had no plans on doing so. Thanks!

Faelrin

I'm actually very glad Mattel is delving into doing some obscure species (even if fragmentary), despite not being completely accurate  (though probably the 'best' we have for now, until another company would care to give them some proper justice), and even if most are from various materials surrounding the films, versus being in the film itself (such as from the websites, from the novels, etc), though there are certainly a few that have not, which is very nice too. I do wonder if you will attempt to get the Battle Damage Gasosaurus too? It's honestly the first time I've heard of the genus, so I can only wonder if this is the first figure of it or not, that will be out there. I'm really hoping we're getting a Scutosaurus from them this year as well, though at least Safari Ltd's retired one still holds up (and makes for a nice prey for the also retired Inostrancevia).

Surprisingly those Geoworld figures you got there don't look too bad at all, and I think this is honestly the first urchin toy (prehistoric or otherwise) I've seen yet, which I suppose is too bad as they are pretty interesting creatures. Come to think of it crinoids really need more figure representation too. They are certainly some of the most ancient animals, and yet are also sadly neglected much of the time, despite still being around today, and well I think they are quite beautiful too. Also back on topic of the Geoworld stuff you have there, the ichthyosaur magnet is certainly a charmer of sorts. I can't say I've ever seen a magnet based on one of those before.

Halichoeres

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 21, 2020, 11:59:43 PM
Tim, please review these on the blog if you'd like. I had no plans on doing so. Thanks!

Thanks! I have a backlog but I think I can get to them all soon.

Quote from: Faelrin on January 22, 2020, 09:25:29 AM
I'm actually very glad Mattel is delving into doing some obscure species (even if fragmentary), despite not being completely accurate  (though probably the 'best' we have for now, until another company would care to give them some proper justice), and even if most are from various materials surrounding the films, versus being in the film itself (such as from the websites, from the novels, etc), though there are certainly a few that have not, which is very nice too. I do wonder if you will attempt to get the Battle Damage Gasosaurus too? It's honestly the first time I've heard of the genus, so I can only wonder if this is the first figure of it or not, that will be out there. I'm really hoping we're getting a Scutosaurus from them this year as well, though at least Safari Ltd's retired one still holds up (and makes for a nice prey for the also retired Inostrancevia).

Surprisingly those Geoworld figures you got there don't look too bad at all, and I think this is honestly the first urchin toy (prehistoric or otherwise) I've seen yet, which I suppose is too bad as they are pretty interesting creatures. Come to think of it crinoids really need more figure representation too. They are certainly some of the most ancient animals, and yet are also sadly neglected much of the time, despite still being around today, and well I think they are quite beautiful too. Also back on topic of the Geoworld stuff you have there, the ichthyosaur magnet is certainly a charmer of sorts. I can't say I've ever seen a magnet based on one of those before.

Yeah, I'm glad they're doing some new taxa, if only so kids will know there's more to life than Ty***nosaurus. I read both books when I was young, but I've only watched 3 of the 5 main movies, and I haven't consumed any of the ancillary media. So I'm not really plugged into what parts of the universe each species is from, but I'm definitely happy to replace an extremely inaccurate figure with a moderately inaccurate figure. I actually have a toy that was sold as Gasosaurus (by Ausini), but it looks more like a very crude Carnotaurus. It is very ugly, so I do plan to get the JW version unless by some chance PNSO or somebody releases one beforehand. Scutosaurus would be fun, for sure, although I'm very happy with the Safari version I have.

I was surprised, too, this is absolutely the finest product I've seen from Geoworld. I agree a crinoid would be really cool! There might be some extant ones in plastic by Ikimon or Kaiyodo, I'm not really sure. But of course they were much more diverse in the Paleozoic, being crunched on by primitive ratfishes and placoderms. Pleurocystites is the closest thing I know of, being a stem-crinoid.

PS I've edited the first post with some fixed links (some are surely still incorrect) as well as a list of Cenozoic animals. It actually is about 40% Yowies, just what I estimated. It's probably missing things, though, and naturally it doesn't have links because I don't collect Cenozoic critters!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 19, 2020, 11:04:50 PM

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx Here you go!

The Deinonychus is just a couple of centimeters longer, so they're definitely not to scale with each other.

Sim

Shonisaurus

Over time Doug could do all dromaeosaurids as BoTM has done in PVC version and the same thing about ceraptosides would be great to have both Safari and BoTM versions to choose from.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres thanks, even though they're not even close to the same scale they do look great together with those different but still natural poses.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

Nice couple of prehistoric raptors. Thanks Halichoeres for sharing.

Faelrin

I really hope we see a Utahraptor at some point as well, but I'm so glad these exist now.

Halichoeres

Quote from: brontosauruschuck on February 05, 2020, 03:47:11 AM
Did I miss the Anatosaurus?
B @brontosauruschuck Good question! I usually only have one figure per genus, and Anatosaurus is now regarded as a synonym of Edmontosaurus annectens. My current Edmontosaurus is the recent Safari version, which is Edmontosaurus regalis. There are a few figures that were sold as Anatosaurus or Anatotitan back when those names were current, and I think the Geoworld Edmontosaurus could be interpreted as E. annectens at a stretch, but I haven't previously felt like I needed both species in my collection. The head dimensions are a little different, and it's possible that E. annectens lacked the crest that E. regalis probably had, so maybe I should have them both represented. The best E. annectens is certainly Safari's "Anatotitan" from the Sue at the Field Museum line, but it's pretty darn small. I'm not sure what the best one would be at a larger scale, they're all pretty out of date.

PS I've reorganized my invertebrates in the list on the first page, as I think they were categorized too coarsely before. I've provisionally assigned Tullimonstrum to the Spiralia.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.