News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY

Started by Viking Spawn, September 08, 2015, 04:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking Spawn

I'd thought I'd share a museum trip I made with my children this past July.  This is UM's Natural History Museum in Ann Arbor. 

Viking Spawn

Viking Spawn

Viking Spawn

Viking Spawn

Viking Spawn

Viking Spawn

Viking Spawn

Viking Spawn

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Doug Watson

Thank you for posting these shots of another great looking University museum. I like the economical use of commercial Kaiyodo kits for the T rex and Allosaurus models as well as the Carnegie Diplodocus and Camarasaurus figures. Mind you if I was still in the business of providing custom models to museums I wouldn't appreciate it :(.
Those undersea dioramas look like Chase Studios products. Where would a University get the funds for something like that, alumni donations, endowments, government grants, all of the above? Surely it can't all come from admissions. Football team profits? ;)

DinoToyForum

Please avoid all caps titles, thanks.  C:-) Cool photos, thanks for sharing  8)

Viking Spawn

Glad you liked the photos everyone.  I'll be posting pics from my other museum pics from MSU's history museum shortly, which is located in East Lansing and about an hour or so north of Ann Arbor. 

I also visited the Carnegie Natural History Museum in Pittsburgh over the Labor Day weekend!  Now THAT place is a definitely worth a visit and my favorite so far!  I'll be sharing those images ASAP too!  To me, that was well worth the drive and I highly recommend that one!    8)

And no more CAPS titles either.   ;) 

Paleona

Oh, I remember visiting that museum years ago- it looks a lot nicer than I remember.  :)  Those dioramas in particular look really well done!  As Doug mentioned, it's cool to see some Carnegie's supplementing the displays, haha.

If you're looking for another small museum to visit in Michigan, I'd recommend the Cranbrook Institute of Science in Bloomfield Hills.  They don't have much in the way of fossils, but they do have the only T. rex cast in MI.  :) 

Side note- Doug- do you have any photos of the custom models you've made for museums?  I bet they're fantastic!  :))

Viking Spawn

Quote from: Paleona on September 09, 2015, 02:35:59 PM
Oh, I remember visiting that museum years ago- it looks a lot nicer than I remember.  :)  Those dioramas in particular look really well done!  As Doug mentioned, it's cool to see some Carnegie's supplementing the displays, haha.

If you're looking for another small museum to visit in Michigan, I'd recommend the Cranbrook Institute of Science in Bloomfield Hills.  They don't have much in the way of fossils, but they do have the only T. rex cast in MI.  :) 

Side note- Doug- do you have any photos of the custom models you've made for museums?  I bet they're fantastic!  :))

Cranbrook is on my list of places to visit this year.  When we were in Michigan this summer, I didn't learn about it until after my vacation was over.  Now I guess I have an excuse to go back.   ;)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.