News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Battat 2018

Started by DC, February 26, 2018, 03:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

These look cheap and rather pointless. I don't see the appeal really, if you want articulated dino figures might as well picking up the JW line instead of those ugly critters. It's 20-year-old sculpts we're talking about, for the most part outdated, Battat should really take a decision on what they want to do. Either hire a new sculptor and start a brand new prehistoric line under the Terra brand, or giving up dinosaurs altogether.

IrritatorRaji

Oh my, I thought these were knock offs... :( Shame these look so poor, it was a nice idea in theory.

Roselaar

Okay, so these toys are crappy as heck, but I still like the idea that the Battat sculpts continue to live on, even in an entirely new guise. Just wish it had higher production values, but at least they kept the awesome new paint jobs.

MLMjp

EEEEHHHHHHH.......... ??? ??? ???

That pretty much summarizes my reaction to this.

Obviously an attempt to capitalize on JW Fallen kingdom due to the electronics an articulation on the dinosaurs. Hey, they even copied the beloved screw holes of Hasbro. Also every dinosaur minus the Acrocanthosaurus has an equal in MattelĀ“s toy line...

Quote from: Loon on February 26, 2018, 08:29:45 PM
Here are pics of the figures, reminds me of those Chinese Superhero Knock Offs with the LEDs in their chests.
Exactly, they look like knock-offs of the actual figures, but no, they are made by the actual company.

I kinda think these are a little bit of an insult to the original figures to be honest.

suspsy

Again, if these lousy items eventually lead to the release of the remainder of Dan's sculpts, then it'll have been more than worth it.

And if not, well, no skin off my back. I sure won't be buying any of these.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Irritation

Well that ruined the lineup for me. I will try to get their older figures.

DC

The US distributor is unclear and may not exist yet. Battat is a Canadian company
You can never have too many dinosaurs

paintingdinos

I'm honestly just excited to see any movement from them and the dinos. It may not have been what collectors wanted, but if this line sells well with kids, then Battat will notice.

Makes total sense for them to go after the JW market. Battat's toys have always had a very reasonable price point- considering they're not charging a "big franchise" markup, these are probably going to be a very affordable option for kids+parents. Easy stocking stuffers and quicky gifts for kids who are into JW.

I hope they sell tons, and realize the market is still there for their dinosaur line.

Flaffy

What the hell are these.
I have no respect for Battat any longer. This is just sad.
Obviously desperately trying to get back into the dino toy market with the hype around JWFK.
I swear Battat is trying their hardest to make knockoff versions of their own products. Light up mouth? Bullet holes? Did Battat not see the reaction towards Hasbro's trash?

This is an utter disgrace.

SidB

I don't get the impression that Battat is too aware of the values and sensitivities of collectors, at least not now with Dan's direct influence gone. Frustrating! But I agree that while there's life there's hope.

stargatedalek

These won't sell, not when Mattel has hit the actual Jurassic park branded figures so far out of the park. Battat will just assume that this inevitable failure is due to lack of demand and not lack of quality, and cease producing dinosaur models.

Flaffy

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 27, 2018, 02:45:48 AM
These won't sell, not when Mattel has hit the actual Jurassic park branded figures so far out of the park. Battat will just assume that this inevitable failure is due to lack of demand and not lack of quality, and cease producing dinosaur models.
Unless Battat somehow prices their horrible abominations lower than the extremely reasonably priced and affordable licensed official and far better looking Mattel offerings, the only sales they'll get are unknowing little kids that tagged along their parents to the weekly grocery shopping.
Collectors aren't going to purchase these (I hope), these are nothing compared to Dan's original sculpts. The general public and kids aren't going to buy them, licensed Jurassic World toys are on the shelves.

I honestly don't know what to make of this. On one hand I really do hope Battat gets enough sales to take the hint that there's still a market for dinosaur toys and produce their unreleased moulds, on the other hand, I hope they burn in the deepest pits of hell, and let the original pvc sculpts rest in peace.

Kayakasaurus

"Look how they massacred my boy" -Vito Corleone

On the positive side I'm glad they're paying attention to those sculpts, hopefully we'll get the release and re release of the other figures and these will just be for the younger crowd.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Pachyrhinosaurus

Terrible. Despite these monstrosities I hope it means there are still plans to release the rest of the set. The dilophosaurus and utahraptor are included after all, so maybe they'll come out as Terra figures, as unlikely as that seems to be.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I;ll look at them in the store, see the price, make a call.

EmperorDinobot

1. These are for younger kids.
2. These are probably going to be higher quality than the easily broken Hasbro ones because of point number 1.
3. Some of them actually look decent, like the Utahraptor and the Dilophosaurus.

I for one, can't wait to see them in stores. Surely they'll look better in person.

There's the remote possibility that if these do well, Battat may someday release the unproduced sculpts, so let's wish them well. I love all Battat dinosaurs, past or present, and if I find them to be compatible with my Park, I may buy them as well. I'm a big fan of articulated dinosaurs with playability.

ItsTwentyBelow

This is so disappointing. I came to this thread excited to possibly see some movement toward the rest of the Battat figures being released.

Such mixed feelings on these. On the one hand, they look really good for what they are: cheap hollow articulated dinosaurs with huge screw holes and crummy electronics. They appear to be good sculpts only because Battat unfortunately has the rights to such masterful work, and can muck with that awesome Ceratosaurus any way they want.

On the other hand, yes, these are for sure an abomination. Definitely. These sculpts were never intended to be shot through with screws. There is no way this would have happened if Mr. LoRusso were still in the picture. I'm sure he's rolling over in his grave. I really don't foresee these being able to compete with the new Jurassic World stuff. The evidence for me that this line is a half-baked attempt are the Chinasaurs that come with the larger sets. Battat obviously tried to spend the bare minimum on sculpting and tooling these thanks to the fact that the work was already done for them.

No way dude, the Utahraptor obviously looks the worst out of the bunch and deviates the most from the original sculpt. Not to mention it is featherless.

In the end, I'm not sold on these. Battat has been graced with wonderfully rendered dinosaurs, but they continue to squander that potential.

Shonisaurus

The little ones and the collectors who are fans of the Jurassic Park theme with excessively articulated animals are in luck.

I would have preferred that they had kept the old non-articulated PVC format they had before and their soft plastic.

Patrx

Whoah! Good lord, these look depressing.

PumperKrickel

deleted

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.