News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

Hello all!  ^-^ I've been rather inactive on the forum for a few months... I've been mainly focusing on my other collections like Star Wars and How to Train Your Dragon, but I've picked up some prehistoric gems in the interim.

To start with the oldest, I finally acquired my first Messmore & Damon. Created in 1933, this line was made of pot metal, known for breaking down and crumbling due to its poor quality. I had long considered them mythical, as I doubted any had survived the 90 years since their creation intact. This little fellow is not complete anymore, but to even own one is phenomenal. By my estimation this is the rarest line of prehistoric figures that exists. I got the Trilophodon (now known as the Gomphotherium).

I also acquired the Svalbard Pliosaur, another long-time goal. Made only for the museum gift shop, these are hard to find unless you happen upon one in a lot.

Only thing to be desired would be a cleaner underside.

And a nifty Titanis from the same seller.

For my birthday I got the Paleocraft Platybelodon. It comes with an alternate feeding trunk.

How it's gonna look all painted up:

A couple other additions: Malcolm Mlodoch's Faunacast Tylosaurus and Muraenosaurus.

And the much more recent CollectA Kronosaurus. Who knew that Amazon stocks CollectA now? Brilliant for American markets.

And a stranger addition - the flocked dinosaurs of Melissa & Doug. The lengths I go to for those plesiosaurs! Came in a nice wood display box.

And a recent acquisition - PNSO's Amargasaurus. The translation is questionable but charming.

It's made of a softer plastic than I expected, making it very durable. And great detail, as we've come to expect from PNSO.

A little smaller than I was expecting, but then, it was a smaller sauropod. Here it is compared to their Huanghetitan.

And for those that fancy them, some dinosaur themed comics I picked up at a recent comic convention. Ka-Zar from the mid 1970's and a Cadillacs & Dinosaurs from the early 1990's.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Libraraptor

BlueKrono,  this is one of the most eclectic recent acquisition entries ever ! Especially that metal Trilophodon and that Svalbard Pliosaur,  just: WOW!

Faelrin

avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono Woah. Some absolutely amazing things you've gotten. I'm really fascinated by that 1933 figure you've got there in particular. I had no idea there were figures from way back then.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

Thanks to avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek I've got the Destruct-a-Saurs complete, sans the T.rex.
I suffer from a special affliction where I have to but every repaint that Mattel puts out...

postsaurischian

Quote from: BlueKrono on March 14, 2019, 10:40:58 PM

Are you sure this isn't a bootleg? The Paleocraft Platybelodon has always been casted in one piece (except for the trunk und the tail).
I have never seen one with separated legs and the casting looks pretty rough, too :-\ .

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: postsaurischian on March 15, 2019, 09:33:28 AM

Are you sure this isn't a bootleg? The Paleocraft Platybelodon has always been casted in one piece (except for the trunk und the tail).
I have never seen one with separated legs and the casting looks pretty rough, too :-\ .

I know that Paleocraft Platybelodon was re-casted last year (after a period it had been not available on the site).
I don't know for sure but it's possible that the new kit is like that (with separated legs).

http://www.paleocraft.com/Catalog.html

Added:

..from Paleocraft website:  " Approx.1/20 scale, 10 piece model, choice of 2 trunks. Trunks, tusks, tail, body and legs all cast separate. Included is a simulated terrain base with clearly marked footprints for easy positioning as well as a contoured pine base for display. "

:)

Halichoeres

Good to see you back, BK! That battered metal pachyderm is a real treasure.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BlueKrono

Quote from: postsaurischian on March 15, 2019, 09:33:28 AM

Pretty sure, since my partner confirmed she bought it from their very website.

http://www.paleocraft.com/platybeledon.html
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

postsaurischian

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on March 15, 2019, 10:28:50 AM
I know that Paleocraft Platybelodon was re-casted last year (after a period it had been not available on the site).
I don't know for sure but it's possible that the new kit is like that (with separated legs).

Added:

..from Paleocraft website:  " Approx.1/20 scale, 10 piece model, choice of 2 trunks. Trunks, tusks, tail, body and legs all cast separate. Included is a simulated terrain base with clearly marked footprints for easy positioning as well as a contoured pine base for display. "

:)

Oops! that explains it.

Quote from: BlueKrono on March 15, 2019, 03:52:13 PM
Pretty sure, since my partner confirmed she bought it from their very website.

:-[ Sorry! I didn't know about the re-cast.

LeapingLaelaps

So yesterday Er-Ma the Mamenchisaurus came, and today the rest of my birthday stuff got here! I didn't expect it to get here today so it was a neat surprise.

All I have to say is WOW, Nick is absolutely massive. I can't actually repeat what I said when I opened his box on the forum here but suffice to say, I was surprised just how massive he is. He's absolutely beautiful and although his colors aren't as bright and vibrant as the stock photos, he's still awesome.

As for Oba the Basilosaurus, her face was a bit smooshed and I hate her seams but other than that I love her, especially her pretty sandy looking base.

Brook the Ophthalmosaurus is so cute, I love her huge eyes. Speaking of her eyes, they literally look SO real and realistic, like the fake eyes taxidermists use. One of them is kinda scuffed up a bit which sucks but I might be able to fix it with paint.

Also the inside of Nick's mouth has a really strange, sticky texture which makes me kinda nervous. I've heard horror stories about figurines/toys becoming sticky from plasticizer leaching out, but I'm not sure what exactly is causing it. It might be from the gloss coating inside his mouth reacting to the other paint but I'm not sure what I could do about it :-\

Anyone else here have a Nick with a sticky mouth?

PhilSauria

I have the Ceratosaurus on order (not fond of the 'pet' names that they give them) so I'll check the mouth when it arrives. The price was much less than the usual asking price so I have fingers crossed that this transaction plays out and that there hasn't been a mistake at some point.

The Opthalmosaurus is on my shelf already (and I had the honor of reviewing it on the Toy Blog) and seeing it next to that Ceratosaurus - to paraphrase Sheriff Brody in JAWS; I think I'm gonna need a bigger shelf!

Great image, thanks for posting.

Shonisaurus

avatar_LeapingLaelaps @LeapingLaelaps My congratulations for the new PNSO acquisitions. Except for the ceratosaurus I already have in my bookshelves the other two figures and I can assure that the ophthalmosaurus is the best ichythiosaurus made by any brand. In regards to basilosaurus I like it as it is even with its seams and I sold it on eBay at a very affordable price. I need to buy the ceratosaurus but for now I prefer to save before getting this beauty of PNSO.

Nice figures thank you for sharing these beautiful photos.

Doug Watson

Hello all!  ^-^ I've been rather inactive on the forum for a few months... I've been mainly focusing on my other collections like Star Wars and How to Train Your Dragon, but I've picked up some prehistoric gems in the interim.

To start with the oldest, I finally acquired my first Messmore & Damon. Created in 1933, this line was made of pot metal, known for breaking down and crumbling due to its poor quality. I had long considered them mythical, as I doubted any had survived the 90 years since their creation intact. This little fellow is not complete anymore, but to even own one is phenomenal. By my estimation this is the rarest line of prehistoric figures that exists. I got the Trilophodon (now known as the Gomphotherium).

For my birthday I got the Paleocraft Platybelodon. It comes with an alternate feeding trunk.

Congratulations avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono , I am really envious of the Messmore & Damon piece, I first learned of these from an article in Prehistoric Times a while back. What is really amazing is they were made as take home souvenirs for the life sized animatronic creatures that Messmore & Damon made for their "The World a Million Years Ago" exhibit at the 1933 World's Fair. May I ask where you found it I haven't seen any come up for sale since I read that article?
(Correction: I have seen a few cast iron brontosaurus figures come up for sale that are different from the pot metal version, plus Don Glut actually owns some of the life size pieces as well as some of the souvenirs
http://www.donglutsdinosaurs.com/messmore-damon-creatures/)

I love Sean's work especially his mammals, I am glad he has survived when so many Garage Kit companies have gone under.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 16, 2019, 01:06:33 PM

Congratulations avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono , I am really envious of the Messmore & Damon piece, I first learned of these from an article in Prehistoric Times a while back. What is really amazing is they were made as take home souvenirs for the life sized animatronic creatures that Messmore & Damon made for their "The World a Million Years Ago" exhibit at the 1933 World's Fair. May I ask where you found it I haven't seen any come up for sale since I read that article?
(Correction: I have seen a few cast iron brontosaurus figures come up for sale that are different from the pot metal version, plus Don Glut actually owns some of the life size pieces as well as some of the souvenirs

I love Sean's work especially his mammals, I am glad he has survived when so many Garage Kit companies have gone under.

Doug, I quite agree. I also have his Andrewsarchus, my personal favorite and certainly the most dynamic depiction of this creature ever made. I actually found the seller in Prehistoric Times magazine (the subscription has been well worth it). He put out an ad in the Classified section. We did it the old-school way, with several long phone conversations. He is very knowledgeable about his large collection, and what they are worth. I would like to buy more of his rarities in the future once I can raise the funds. He gave me a good price on the M&D since it's missing a leg and its trunk, and I also bought several of the old plastic Shreddies in colors other than white. I'll have to post those too... I'd love to meet Don someday, but my travels rarely take me out west.

Doug Watson

Quote from: BlueKrono on March 16, 2019, 03:18:50 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on March 16, 2019, 01:06:33 PM

Doug, I quite agree. I also have his Andrewsarchus, my personal favorite and certainly the most dynamic depiction of this creature ever made. I actually found the seller in Prehistoric Times magazine (the subscription has been well worth it). He put out an ad in the Classified section. We did it the old-school way, with several long phone conversations. He is very knowledgeable about his large collection, and what they are worth. I would like to buy more of his rarities in the future once I can raise the funds. He gave me a good price on the M&D since it's missing a leg and its trunk, and I also bought several of the old plastic Shreddies in colors other than white. I'll have to post those too... I'd love to meet Don someday, but my travels rarely take me out west.

Wow, way to go I have had a subscription for years and I never check the classified because when I first got it they were mostly "want" ads. Ya snooze ya lose I guess.

MLMjp

Got the Savage Strike Styracosaurus:

Killekor

Quote from: MLMjp on March 16, 2019, 08:48:42 PM
Got the Savage Strike Styracosaurus:

Congrats on getting it MLMjp! I'm wrong or it's paint scheme is the same of the Schleich one?

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Faelrin

My Tapejara figure came today. An adorable little fellow with some nice articulation and coloration. Now I just gotta get my hands on the Dimetrodon, etc.

Here they are with the rest of the Mattel Jurassic flap-flap's I have in my collection:

Loon

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin If you need any Jurassic World stuff, I'd be happy to help you find some. There's plenty near me.

After going to Wal-Mart more often than I'd like to admit, I finally found the new Attack Packs! I took my brother to get some fabric and figured I'd stop by the toy section; after having been disappointed for so long, I thought I was going nuts seeing these.

Faelrin

avatar_Loon @Loon Congrats with finding those. And that sounds so relatable. I've been to numerous stores in my area, numerous times, over the past month in search of those, etc. At least your luck has finally paid off. Hopefully this is a sign that more will be spreading elsewhere, since it's been over a month now since these where sighted in California, and some other places (based off of ebay listings).

At least I was able to order the Tapejara off of Amazon when it was in stock recently. Sort of missed out on the Dimetrodon though. Hoping that and the rest of the bunch I've been waiting on are finally in stores near me next month (including the Legacy and Battle Damage stuff). Though if there's any of those particular attack packs to spare (or perhaps of the Dimetrodon) in your area's stores, I'd be interested.

At least I have the next batch of Savage Strikes pre-ordered from Amazon (the quilled raptor, purple spitter, and the new Blue), so hopefully I won't need to worry about searching for those. I do have the green Herrerasaurus pre-ordered as well on Amazon, but no telling if that will actually come out, since it wasn't a true pre-order like with the others (one of those 1-3 month in stock things, saying anything between late April and early May before being shipped/in stock). Could have also pre-ordered the Indominus rex too, but I'd rather get that one from store shelves to "inspect" it first. At least thanks to Amazon and Entertainment Earth we have an idea of when this will all hit stores (hopefully the Mononykus and Mussasaurus and Echo attack packs by then too). In other words, by July, give or take.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: