News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Megalosaurus on March 27, 2018, 08:31:30 PM
Hello Tim.
That last set is one that I dream to have, as I love triassic as you do.
How not to love that poor Exaeretodon? Look at that face!  :'(

Yeah, it's so forlorn! You can't help but take pity.

New Paleozoic animals! If you've been on the forum a little while, you know I'm particularly interested in the Paleozoic because of how wildly different ecosystems were. It's really hard to get a good sampling of the vertebrate fauna of the Era in toy form, relative to, for example, the Cretaceous, so I end up buying plushes, resin models, and I'm now stocking up on 3D prints. Anyway, on to the new critters!

Medicom Tullimonstrum gregarium (Mystery Museum)
Scale: 1:3 - 1:4
Released: 2001
Time: Late Carboniferous
This comes with an info card in Japanese that speculates that this could be the larval stage of the Loch Ness monster. It's pretty funny, no doubt more so after being passed through Google Translate. The toy itself represents Tullimonstrum as an enigmatic protostome, which is probably correct. The new reconstruction that made such a splash a couple of years ago probably did get some things right, but it is almost certainly wrong about its being a lamprey, or any kind of chordate.

Paleo-Creatures Hyneria lindae
Scale: 1:25
Sculptor: Jesús Toledo
Released: 2017
Time: Late Devonian
It comes with a little post, but I actually kind of like it resting on the shortest aquarium plant. I have no idea if there were plants resembling this in the Devonian, but you can get this sort of morphology out of macroalgae, so...maybe? Anyway, cool addition to my array of stem-tetrapods.

It also looks pretty nice next to my other Devonian critters, although these guys probably didn't mix in real life.

3D printed Gemuendina (Shapeways)
Scale: 1:3 - 1:9 depending on the specimen.
Designer: Pablo Arce
Time: Early Devonian
One of the most primitive placoderms, more stemward even than the antiarchs. I held out on these Shapeways models for a long time, but in the end there are fewer that interest me than I at first suspected. They also look better than I thought, because for some inexplicable reason, in the "Prehistoric Creatures" shop where these are sold, the stock image is of the ventral side, which has very little detail. I think Gemuendina actually has a pretty decent chance of getting a toy one day, but I'm happy with this one for now. I recently stocked up on paints, and I have quite a few models to decorate.

3D printed Tauraspis (Shapeways)
Scale: 1:1
The ventral part of the head shield is too short, and the sensory shields shouldn't be so convex, but it's certainly recognizable as a Tauraspis. One of the many very strange jawless fishes known from the Lower Devonian. It'll be a challenge to paint but should be fun too.

3D printed Hoelaspis (Shapeways)
Scale: slightly larger than 1:1
As you might guess, this is a close relative of Tauraspis. This lineage of cephalaspidomorphs (the benneviaspids) had some really bizarre head ornamentation. Guess it's a good way to protect against being eaten, or perhaps to increase your dipole for better electrosensation.

3D printed Anglaspis (Shapeways)
Scale: slightly larger than 1:1
Time: Latest Silurian - earliest Devonian
These finless, jawless fishes (the cyathaspids) make me think of isopods. Just a tube covered in overlapping armor. Of course these guys differ in having 360° of protection instead of a fairly exposed vent. I think this figure suffers least from the artifacts of the printing process, and will probably look nicest when painted.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

The world of prehistoric and extinct fish is like an unknown universe for most people in general are more popular other vertebrate disappeared animals such as dinosaurs, prehistoric mammals, birds or amphibians but about prehistoric fish are underrepresented in most of mass production brands such as toys as well as by resin companies.

It would be interesting that in the near future some company would risk and make prehistoric fish and present-day fish that would fill that lagoon in the collections, an outstanding example is Favorite with its ancient fish.

Hopefully other companies that we know take that example.

SBell

How did you get the Tullymonstrum? I think I've only seen it for sale once!

Halichoeres

I paid too much for it on eBay (I had a 15% off coupon, but still, too much). The paper flyer has photos of all the figures in the series, except the Tully Monster, for which it only has a silhouette. So it must be the secret figure, which helps explain its rarity. This is the first one I've seen for sale since I started looking more than a year ago.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Halichoeres

It's a slow time of year for us non-JP collectors; it's been over a month since I updated this thread! While I wait for my last Beasts of the Mesozoic figures, here are some figures of some beasts of the Mesozoic (with some ornithischians, for a change).

Mattel Stygimoloch (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom)
Scale: 1:30 (based on total length, although the head and feet are rather oversized)
Released: 2018
Setting: Late Cretaceous North America
Whereas of course I loved the original movie, and I even saw two of the sequels in theaters, I have basically zero interest in the Jurassic Park franchise at this point, except insofar as it affects the market for toys that look more like dinosaurs. Regardless of whether Stygimoloch is a valid genus in its own right or an ontogenetic synonym of Pachycephalosaurus, it's got interesting morphology. So I'm glad the new JW movie seems to feature it, because it meant I could get rid of the awful GeoWorld rendition. I rushed out and got this one as soon as Target had it in stock.

Of course then I saw this one:

SnapCo Stygimoloch (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom)
This is a cup topper figure made by SnapCo, which is a collaboration between Snap Creative (a maker of promotional figurines) and PCO (a maker of promotional concession food packaging). You might recognize Snap Creative as the company that made the figures that came with the Jurassic World gift set. As with "Gorgon" from the Walking with Dinosaurs movie, the action figures aren't really my cup of tea, and the miniatures aren't either--but somehow the cup toppers looked pretty good. Much better proportioned than the mini, and without all the ugly joints of the action figure. I probably won't keep the Mattel figure, but something tells me that over the next few years there will be even more Stygimoloch to choose from. While we're at it, can we please get a good Stegoceras?

Battat Euoplocephalus tutus (Terra)
Scale: 1:32
Sculptor: Dan LoRusso
Released: 2015
Setting: Late Cretaceous North America
I finally got around to adding one of these to my personal collection. I had the original for a while but I prefer this color scheme. However, the originals seem to almost always have better paint application. I guess sweatshops aren't what they used to be? I'd pay a couple more dollars for Terra figures for them to be more carefully painted.

PaleoCreatures Xiphactinus audax
Scale: 1:35
Sculptor: Jesús Toledo Arriaza
Setting: Late Cretaceous seas
Finally got a nice big Xiphactinus. There has recently been a welcome uptick in the number of prehistoric actinopterygians available, although despite the fact that I'll buy anything I can get my hands on, I still have fewer than 10. Just remember that the sister group to actinopterygians is...sarcopterygians, which includes every single dinosaur, pterosaur, mammal, etc. There's a minor imbalance is all I'm saying.

With some ammonites at roughly the same scale.

Günther Sinopterus
Scale: 1:2
Released: 2015
Setting: Early Cretaceous Eurasia
This bears essentially no resemblance to Sinopterus, a tapejarid with a broad-based crest. CityRaptor posted a link to this on German Amazon, and the shipping was so expensive that I was able to resist it. But when I saw it for cheap from an artist supply shop in the US, I wasn't so strong. Maybe Vitae or one of the other up-and-coming Chinese companies will make one (hell, compared to this thing I'd take a Recur version).

PaleoCreatures Atopodentatus unicus
Scale: 1:20
Sculptor: Jesús Toledo Arriaza
Setting: Middle Triassic Eurasia
Finally got the updated Atopodentatus from Jetoar. What a weird animal, although at least the new morphology makes some developmental sense. PaleoCreatures has done a lot to help fill out my Triassic collection.

Shonisaurus

Magnificent Halichoeres photos, on the other hand the Atopodentatus reminds me a lot of his head to the nigersaurus. They have a certain similarity. Magnificent work of Jesus, very well finished.

Mini Minmi

Very nice additions and pictures. That SnapCo stygimoloch is adorable. The adopodentatus makes me laugh, it reminds me of a vacuum.  ;D

Halichoeres

Quote from: Mini Minmi on May 24, 2018, 11:42:06 AM
Very nice additions and pictures. That SnapCo stygimoloch is adorable. The adopodentatus makes me laugh, it reminds me of a vacuum.  ;D

Thanks! I think the vacuum cleaner comparison is very apt.

Halichoeres

I got back from a couple of weeks traveling to find some packages waiting for me. Whereas I don't think every new figure deserves its very own post, there are a shade too many to include in a single update. For now, saurischians of the Mesozoic:

First, a few Beasts of the Mesozoic dromaeosaurids sculpted by David Silva:

Creative Beast Acheroraptor temertyorum
Scale: 1:6, probably, but it's only known from a maxilla and most of a dentary.
Setting: Maastrichtian of North America
I'm surprised by how well this paint scheme works. I do find the exact replication of bird plumage a little distracting, but this one isn't bad even with all the blue skin. Unfortunately, this one has one of the worst underbites (maybe only Balaur is worse). Also the paint on one of the legs is badly gouged and peeled. This must have happened while the paint was still a little tacky:

Creative Beast Adasaurus mongoliensis
Scale: 1:5.5
Setting: Maastrichtian of Eurasia
I was a little worried this one would be too similar to the Fan's Choice Dromaeosaurus, but they're distinct enough. This one turned out pretty well.

Creative Beast Saurornitholestes langstoni
Scale: 1:5.5
Setting: Campanian of North America
Roadrunner pajamas suit dromaeosaurs, honestly. Having grown up in the southwestern US, though, the greater roadrunner is one of the most familiar birds to me. It's like someone elsewhere in the country having a raptor painted like a cardinal or robin. But I chose this one over the secretary bird version because 1) it represents the much better known S. langstoni rather than S. sullivani, which is practically a nomen nudum and 2) secretary birds are way overused in paleo-art. This paint job is pretty well executed, good looking toy. I'm very happy to replace yet another ugly GeoWorld toy.

Creative Beast Tsaagan mangas
Scale: 1:6
Setting: Campanian of Eurasia
The package says correctly says its habitat was Mongolia and China, but it gives its location as Horseshoe Canyon in Canada. Whoops! This one has a slight underbite, but it's not as bad as it looks in this photo, where the dark snout doesn't contrast well with the background. The color scheme on this one is much more believable than the bright colors of the possibly synonymous Linheraptor.

Now I've got 14 BotM pieces, which was a wallop to the wallet. Good thing the centrosaurine Kickstarter campaign won't be until next spring. Overall I'm pretty pleased with this line, despite the quality control problems here and there, and the more or less constant fear that I'm going to break them. Here are the new ones together:

Also waiting for me was a shipment from MiniZoo, including a couple of Jurassic saurischians:

CollectA Ceratosaurus
Sculptor: Matthias Geiger
Setting: Late Jurassic North America
It's a really nice sculpt and I like some aspects of the paint job, but it does seem to be a dinosaur on the way to an Insane Clown Posse concert. Might be a shade narrow in the hips, too, although the feet look pretty good relative to previous CollectA theropods. Replaces the Rebor "Savage" on my shelf.

Juggalo 4 life

(NB I am NOT an ICP fan)

CollectA Brontosaurus
Scale: 1:55
Setting: Late Jurassic North America
Nice to have a decent Brontosaurus. I always prefer sauropods in 1:40 and thus think this one should have been part of the Deluxe series rather than the Ceratosaurus. But I've got a few other sauropods at this scale that it should look good alongside, not to mention the CollectA Saurophaganax. This replaces the Tyco Dino Riders Brontosaurus in my collection, which will free up some space! That was my most massive figure, an honor which now reverts to the Definitely Dinosaurs Ultrasaurus.

Shonisaurus

I congratulate you Halichoeres for your new acquisitions for the beautiful adasaurus and tsasgan the Beast of the Mesozoic and for your new acquisitions of Collecta's ceratosaurus and brontosaurus are magnificent figures. Although perhaps my favorite saúropodos of Collecta is by far the argentinosaurus and diplodocus.

Lanthanotus

Nice additions Halichoeres.... a shame you do not live in EU, I'd so like to give that Tyco Bronto a new home, but shipping would so kill it :D

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 26, 2018, 06:06:41 PM
[...]
This replaces the Tyco Dino Riders Brontosaurus in my collection, which will free up some space!
[...]

Halichoeres

Thanks, Shoni

Lanthanotus, yeah, that would be prohibitively expensive. But if I ever travel to Germany maybe I'll bring it with me, ha ha

Halichoeres

Some new Paleozoic bilaterians:

CollectA Estemmenosuchus
Scale: 1:14
Released: 2018
Setting: Middle Permian Pangaea

With Schleich's Dinogorgon and Kaiyodo's Diplocaulus, which are roughly to the same scale. These are from different parts of the Permian, but Diplocaulus was a long-lived genus that could plausibly have overlapped both of the more terrestrial guys.

Play Visions Platyhystrix
Scale: 1:8
Released: 1998
Setting: Early Permian Pangaea
One of my more coveted wish list items. I've seen pictures of it many times, but it still surprised me how much detail is in this thing. These were great toys; it's a pity Play Visions got out of the business of animal miniatures. Anyway, now only the Gerrothorax and Eogyrinus to go!

Favorite Co Hallucigenia (Cambrian mini models)
Scale: 2× life size
Sculptor: Tokugawa Hirokazu
Released: 2016
Setting: Middle Cambrian
I finally got this one, the very last Cambrian animal I was missing. I really hope Favorite continues to put out sets like this. (I found the dinosaur mini-dioramas they made last year to be pretty disappointing.)

Scales well with some of my other Cambrian animals.

Shonisaurus

Estemmenosuchus of Collecta is very well sculpted, which may lack size. It's not as big as I expected, judging from the photos. Anyway, the figure is great.

Roselaar

Congrats, you got some good stuff in! Isn't the Platyhystrix lovely? ;)

I can't wait to get my hands on the Estemmenosuchus, it's simply gorgeous.

Ravonium

Congrats on these new acquisitions. I agree with you on the Ceratosaurus; you always seem to think of creative comments for figures that would otherwise only get generic criticisms  :)

suspsy

I like how the Estemmenosuchus looks like it's daring the Dinogorgon to try and start something with it.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Ravonium: That's very kind, I'm glad someone enjoys my dumb jokes!

suspsy: Ha, yeah, looks pretty invincible in this view.

I'm pretty happy with this Estemmenosuchus. The paint job isn't stellar, but the underlying sculpt is really really nice. I'll save more detail for the upcoming review on the blog, but at any rate this is a major improvement on the old Lost World figure by Kenner. I'm happy to see it replaced, and now only two Kenners are left in my collection: Lycaenops and Ornithosuchus.

Roselaar

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 01, 2018, 04:29:03 PM
now only two Kenners are left in my collection: Lycaenops and Ornithosuchus.

Neither one of those seems likely to be replaced any time soon, though with Collecta, you never know. ;)

Halichoeres

It's worth reflecting how thoroughly the Beasts of the Mesozoic line changed my dromaeosaurid and troodontid collection. I had a nontrivial number of these before, but they averaged lower in quality and accuracy, and the number of taxa was much lower (although maybe just a little overinflated now).

Before

After (okay, technically Balaur doesn't really belong here)

Don't get me wrong, I still have some real stinkers, but they're pretty drowned out now.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: