News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Getting into collecting at 23. How old are you guys?

Started by dinofigurehobby, February 07, 2022, 09:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I'm 34; I've been playing with dinosaur toys all my life, but I first started collecting the figures that are still in my "serious" collection to this day back when I discovered the Carnegie Collection in the mid-90's, probably around 8 years old or so. I went through a phase in my teens where I stopped collecting, but I really ramped it back up again after graduating from college. I was pretty loyal to Carnegie/Safari for a while, but when Collecta started improving I began branching out, though the Carnegie Collection had spoiled me for scale consistency.  :D 
Now I just buy anything that looks reasonably accurate, is in my preferred size range, and fills a gap of some sort in my collection. A couple exceptions: I don't mind purchasing an out-of-scale model if I can reasonably substitute it for a related species that doesn't have a satisfactory model yet (for example, Safari's most recent Oviraptor is filling in as a "Gigantoraptor"). Also, as much as I care about accuracy, I'm generally still slow to "update" my representatives of taxa that have received significant scientific revisions.
One might think my pickiness would limit my collection, but I now have enough models to fill in a reasonably complete archosaur family tree!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRXDgpPM0KA/

Creature

I'm 37. I've always liked dinosaurs, and definitely had dinosaur toys as a kid (the standout in my memory is the grey and white Definitely Dinosaurs stegosaurus - the one with the white plates, not the green), but I didn't actually start collecting them until I ran across David Silva's raptor figure line 4 or 5 years ago.
Instagram: where I play with dinosaurs, horses, and action figures.

EmperorDinobot

I am 33 and have been collecting all my life. I am not planning to stop, even though I must.

Bowhead Whale

I am 45 years old. Being born in 1977, I will turn 46 next March 18. I am neither the oldest one here, but I'm not the youngest either. I started collecting when I was a child. My first dinosaur toys were the 1978 AAA set of 6 brown, hollow, open-mouthed dinosaurs.

Gwangi

Quote from: Bowhead Whale on June 15, 2022, 09:27:50 PMI am 45 years old. Being born in 1977, I will turn 46 next March 18. I am neither the oldest one here, but I'm not the youngest either. I started collecting when I was a child. My first dinosaur toys were the 1978 AAA set of 6 brown, hollow, open-mouthed dinosaurs.

That was my first dinosaur set too!  ;D

Ludodactylus

35 here; have had dinosaur toys on and off through my life, starting with Dino-Riders and the first generation of Kenner Jurassic Park figures. My current collection began in 2018.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Bowhead Whale

Quote from: Ludodactylus on July 06, 2022, 04:55:05 PM35 here; have had dinosaur toys on and off through my life, starting with Dino-Riders and the first generation of Kenner Jurassic Park figures. My current collection began in 2018.

I have the Dino-Riders' Megatherium and Placerias!

Pliosaurking

I'm 16
I've been collecting seriously for about 6 years now
Since I was a baby I've Loved dinosaurs in fact my first word was Triceratops!

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Pliosaurking @Pliosaurking now that's a real achievement,  your first word is a dinosaur,  that's just epic!

suspsy

Turning 44 in October. And I too firmly believe that sharing one's age here should be strictly voluntary.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr