News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Getting into collecting at 23. How old are you guys?

Started by dinofigurehobby, February 07, 2022, 09:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinofigurehobby

Getting into collecting at 23. How old are you guys?

Obviously at my age I'm collecting for the admiration of the figure/design.

Im a huge science buff and paleontology is one of my science interests.

Faelrin

Welcome to the forum and hobby.

I'm 30 now, but I started collecting dinosaurs back in 2015 after JW came out and started with the Hasbro stuff (not counting what I got as a kid, or the non dinosaur action figures I got as a teen of course). I was 24 then.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

MesozoicJohn

Hello and welcome to the forum and to this fantastic hobby.

I am 58 and just started my collection of models 3 months ago.

There are some excellent figures out there, you will be spoilt for choice  ;D

John :)

BlueKrono

I'm 33 now but started collecting seriously when I was 25. To this day I only collect the figures I love and that fit into my decidedly niche collections. I have little if any spare figures that don't.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Libraraptor

Hello and welcome to the forum!
I am 44 years old and started collecting 35 or so years ago and again, more seriously, 14 years ago.

BrontoScorpio

I think the AGE field in the blog registration form should be mandatory.
Sometimes I don't know how to respond to someone's comment -
and the respond depends if the member is 8 or 40 y/o.

Or at least there should be a 'value list' to choose from, like :

- a kid
- a teenager
- young adult
- adult

ceratopsian

I'm probably the oldest person on the forum at 64.  I started collecting I guess around 5 or 6 years ago.  But I had a childhood passion for dinosaurs that continued to a greater or lesser extent through my life from childhood.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 08, 2022, 06:34:51 AM
I'm 33 now but started collecting seriously when I was 25. To this day I only collect the figures I love and that fit into my decidedly niche collections. I have little if any spare figures that don't.

I honestly deemed you older avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono  I guess cause your passion for and the stories around Marx figures.

Myself I am 45 now and a serious (?) collector for 7 years now, though I have a life long passion for dinosaurs.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Lanthanotus on February 08, 2022, 01:31:13 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on February 08, 2022, 06:34:51 AM

I honestly deemed you older avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono  I guess cause your passion for and the stories around Marx figures.

Myself I am 45 now and a serious (?) collector for 7 years now, though I have a life long passion for dinosaurs.

Right! I'm only know of one other Marx enthusiast in his 30's. Most of my Marx friends are in their late 60's or 70's, which has led to several wonderful intergenerational friendships. This is a beautiful and innocent hobby at its heart.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Gwangi

37 here, and I started collecting when I was about 26.

I also would have pegged you as being older avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono, but now you know another Marx enthusiast in their 30's. My love of vintage toys from before my time stems from my father who was also into dinosaurs as a kid (my avatar is a childhood drawing of his). I played with his old dinosaur toys and he showed me all of the old dinosaur movies.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Gwangi on February 08, 2022, 02:37:37 PM

I also would have pegged you as being older avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono, but now you know another Marx enthusiast in their 30's. My love of vintage toys from before my time stems from my father who was also into dinosaurs as a kid (my avatar is a childhood drawing of his). I played with his old dinosaur toys and he showed me all of the old dinosaur movies.

Very cool! As a strange coincidence my father-in-law is a Marx collector, and my partner grew up going to toy shows with him as he sought out the playsets. It was something we bonded over early on. It's cool to have family that shares your interests (and friends too!).

Pachyrhinosaurus

24, here. I got my first dinosaur toys in second grade at age 7 and never stopped.

I got into Marx at 19, influenced by a recent trip to Disney's Animal Kingdom. Dinoland USA sparked a connection for me between dinosaurs and nostalgic Americana.

Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Jose S.M.

I'm 33 and started my collection late 2016, just before the 2017 figures were announced, if you remember that was a big year for Safari figures!

Stegotyranno420

Ever since I can remember I liked dinosaurs.  But I got into slightly more serious collecting when I was twelve, and I also joined the forum. Right now I'm 14 with some mojos, safaris and one battat along with other unsorted figures. I'm very happy with my collection

Ikessauro

I am 31, my passion for dinos was sparked early on in life as most of us here, but only started collecting around age 11, mostly "cheaposaurs" which were the only ones available around. I began to educate myself on dinosaur name brands, sculptors, lines of toys and such around 2007 and since I turned 18, I haven't stopped collecting "seriously".

Gwangi

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 08, 2022, 02:49:46 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on February 08, 2022, 02:37:37 PM

Very cool! As a strange coincidence my father-in-law is a Marx collector, and my partner grew up going to toy shows with him as he sought out the playsets. It was something we bonded over early on. It's cool to have family that shares your interests (and friends too!).

That's awesome! Unfortunately, I have no one in the real world to bond over dinosaurs with anymore. Thankfully we have places like this though.

Shonisaurus

I am 50 years old (very poorly accomplished by the way) in terms of health and vitality but in my case leaving that information behind, I started collecting seriously at a very late age at 22 years old and limiting myself to very few brands that are they sold in my nation and with little knowledge regarding collecting. I started collecting Invicta, Safari, Schleich, Bullyland, Papo Collecta in that order and then after learning about the forum a few years ago I tried to make a more complete collection, but to all of this it must be pointed out that I have a considerable lack of knowledge regarding companies of vintage, ancient and even modern toy dinosaurs. I limit myself to a few brands (which can be counted on the fingers of both hands and I only collect what I like or that can be affordable in my pocket, currently I have slowed down the purchase of figures for personal reasons.

Halichoeres

Welcome D @dinofigurehobby! I'm almost 40 and I've been collecting for about 7 years. I also got into the hobby as an extension of my general interest in paleontology.

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 08, 2022, 01:26:27 PM
I'm probably the oldest person on the forum at 64.  I started collecting I guess around 5 or 6 years ago.  But I had a childhood passion for dinosaurs that continued to a greater or lesser extent through my life from childhood.
FWIW I'm aware of at least two members older than you!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Duna

I restarted my chilhood collection when I was 26, but I just bought some Papos. My serious start in collecting was 3 years ago, when I was 36. I collect accurate representation of some species I want and also some vintage figures.

Theriz

(Deleted)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: