News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ludodactylus

A pair of new arrivals courtesy the generosity of my lovely wife:

I love Jennie, I think she's a beautiful sculpt of an under-represented genus and I don't find myself disappointed with the colors or paintjob at all. I'm looking forward to displaying her next to Anthony the Styracosaurus, who was also a gift from my wife.

I never had much of an interest or attachment to Kentrosaurus until I added the CollectA figure to an order a year or so ago to qualify for free shipping; despite its tiny size and monochrome color scheme, it proved to be an extremely charming figure. Having it on my desk (my wife insists on tucking it, protectively, under my Papo Pentaceratops) inspired me to read more about the animal, and now I'd have to point to Kentrosaurus as my favorite stegosaur. So when Gina suggested we take a look at the PNSO mini figures (since Jennie was much less expensive than what she was bracing herself for), asking for Sethi was a no-brainer. He's even smaller than the CollectA Kentrosaurus, so I'm sure he'll end up tucked under a bigger figure as well, and I doubt these will be the last Kentrosaurs joining my collection.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Thialfi

Congrats, avatar_Ludodactylus @Ludodactylus, I wholeheartedly agree, Jennie is so pretty. She oozes calmness. I love looking at her on my shelf.

About five years ago I went to a local toy store (mostly educational toys) to find my niece a gift. They don't sell dinosaurs but curiously they did have one CollectA beishanglong on their shelves. I didn't buy it and soon forgot about it, until this week my interest in the model was sparked after reading the review on this website. And lo and behold, after those five years she was still sitting there, calmly on the shelve, seemingly waiting for me to buy her. And thus I did.

Beautiful model!

EmperorDinobot

Ludodactylus

Talk about luck avatar_Thialfi @Thialfi - I'm glad she was still there waiting for you. My local Michael's craft store will usually have a few Safari dinosaurs in their kid's crafts/educational section but other than that the only dinosaur toys I can find locally are Mattel Jurassic World figures and a few Chap Meis.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

CityRaptor

In Germany Kaufland stores are currently having a promotion where you collect 20 point and get a plush of a character from either Jurassic World ( T.rex, Blue, Dilophosaurus or Mosasaurus ), Minions ( one four of those things or an unicorn ) or Sing ( koala, pig or elephant ) for 3.99 instead 19.99. While not buying more from them than usual, I managed to collect 20 points and got myself a Mosasaurus.

Originally I was ging for Dilophosaurus, but that one has an obvious flaw that will lead to the frill losing its color. Blue also got a seriously design flaw where the blue stripe is printed own and will crumble over time. So it was a choice between that one and the T.rex. In hindsight I should have gone for the Rex since that one proved more popular (Of course!) but I have a shortage of Mosasaurs and several Rexes, so yeah.

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Thialfi on July 09, 2022, 02:39:31 PMCongrats, avatar_Ludodactylus @Ludodactylus, I wholeheartedly agree, Jennie is so pretty. She oozes calmness. I love looking at her on my shelf.

About five years ago I went to a local toy store (mostly educational toys) to find my niece a gift. They don't sell dinosaurs but curiously they did have one CollectA beishanglong on their shelves. I didn't buy it and soon forgot about it, until this week my interest in the model was sparked after reading the review on this website. And lo and behold, after those five years she was still sitting there, calmly on the shelve, seemingly waiting for me to buy her. And thus I did.

Beautiful model!

Congratulations avatar_Thialfi @Thialfi wow, that's a long time to be on a shelf unsold!
It's a beautiful model if not underrated, I had the pleasure of reviewing it when it first came out and really was blown away by it. 😃

SidB

That is a remarkably long time to occupy shelf space! A testament to the persistence of the merchant and perhaps also to the general public ignorance of what constitutes a dinosaur.

Thialfi

Thank you very much for that most excellent review B @Bokisaurus, it's what made me aware of this beautiful model again and return to said shop! To this day it's still such a great figure full of intricate little details and character!

And indeed S @SidB, models that don't play into the typical monster trope might be a harder sell to the general public. Which is a pity. I am so glad and thankful companies like CollectA and Safari Ltd. continue to produce naturalistic dinosaurs. What a great time to be a collector. 

EmperorDinobot

I continue to be out of control.

I kind of re-discovered the Ania figures while cleaning the garage. I must have bought them in the before times.

SidB

Quote from: Thialfi on July 11, 2022, 04:09:54 PMThank you very much for that most excellent review B @Bokisaurus, it's what made me aware of this beautiful model again and return to said shop! To this day it's still such a great figure full of intricate little details and character!

And indeed S @SidB, models that don't play into the typical monster trope might be a harder sell to the general public. Which is a pity. I am so glad and thankful companies like CollectA and Safari Ltd. continue to produce naturalistic dinosaurs. What a great time to be a collector. 
Agreed, it's a 'golden age.' I really am nostalgic about my Invictas and Battats, but at the end of the day, today's offerings are the best to date.

JohannesB

Kind of dinosaur-related ;-) I already have the 1993 album and the wonderful 2016 set, but this definitive set I just had to have.

CityRaptor

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on July 13, 2022, 12:50:21 PMI continue to be out of control.

"We have a T.rex!"

Made use of Prime Day ( had a free trial membership ) and a coupon, getting a good deal on the Stomp 'n Escape Tyrannosaurus Rex! First time I got a large T.rex from that franchise mint in box! Funny how things go: With Kenner I never got one, with Mattel I had to pick one.

From Müller stores: Several seconds
Rhamphorhynchus is my second Repaint replacing an older version ( first was Gallimimus )/mainline Pterosaur/Rhamphorhynchus
Mini Pteranodon is my second Mini Pteranodon/Pterosaur/Repainted Mini. Unlike the mainline, additional mini do not replace their older versions. 
Both Mattel figures were on sale, 50% off.

Also for the first ( and most likely last ) time  I brought something from Funko, A Jurassic World Dominion Mystery Mini figure. Much better than their POP! Counterparts, even if the humans and Therizinosaurus still look terrible. Müller had 3 boxes, I got the one that felt heaviest since I figured that it would contain either T.rex or Giganotosaurus, while the lightest box either contained a human or Blue...Bingo! Got the T.rex!
Oh no

EmperorDinobot

Wait, what is that mini green Pteranodon? I have never seen those.

CityRaptor

It's from the blind bags. Specifically the Dino Escape ones.
Oh no

EmperorDinobot

Hmmm their colors got good!

Ludodactylus

So, I had a rough week at work this past week, reaching a crescendo of bad news on Wednesday. And so, even though I wasn't planning on buying anything this month, I needed a pick-me-up pretty badly, and so I placed an order with DeJankins.

The package arrived today and...oh no, what's this? Was there an attempted jailbreak?

Fortunately, everything inside was very securely packaged and nobody escaped during transit. Welcome to the collection, CollectA Diabloceratops (2013) and Einiosaurus (2017). Amazing what a difference four years make! I knew from photos online that the Diabloceratops was a chubby figure, but the difference in appearance between these two figures is like night and day.

DeJankins had Einiosaurus marked as "Retired" which is surprising given how young this figure is compared to many others still widely available in CollectA's line, and I know Safari's Einiosaurus is out of production at this point as well. Poor Bison Lizard, not a big seller for anyone apparently. The Safari Einiosaurus is one of my favorite ceratopsian sculpts and I'm already very fond of CollectA's rendition as well.

I also realize now that centrosaurines are wildly over-represented in my collection compared to chasmosaurines, so that may be something to rectify in the future.

SidB

avatar_Ludodactylus @Ludodactylus , I share one of your sentiments regarding ceratopsians. i was 'over the moon' when Safari, for one, issued a line of Doug Watson ceratopsians, then disappointed when they no longer made any more. It does seem that they don't sell well, which amazed me considering their fabulous headgear and diversity. But I suppose that the same problem of low sales effects any dinosaurs that  stray from the few stereotypical ones that occupy the public consciousness. We just have to quickly grab them once they become available - they're not typically going to remain around for a long time.

Ludodactylus

S @SidB I've grabbed all the Safari ones that really sung to me when I look at them. I may still pick up Vegaceratops, and I do think I might go back for CollectA's Xenoceratops and Medusaceratops.

I'm surprised we haven't gotten a Chasmosaurus out of anybody (other than the BotM one) in a good long while!

Sim

avatar_Ludodactylus @Ludodactylus, PNSO made a mini Chasmosaurus.  Also avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson shared that the Safari Vagaceratops was originally going to be called Chasmosaurus, but then the name change happened for the animal so the figure's name was changed too.  It is surprising that proper Chasmosaurus figures are lacking though.  In my opinion it's one of the most striking ceratopsids, and more interesting than Nasutoceratops and Regaliceratops which have got more attention than Chasmo in recent years.

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, since this is the recent acquisitions thread I thought I'd ask here.  Are you still waiting for the BotM Diabloceratops you ordered?  I'm planning to get the BotM Chasmosaurus if it comes back into stock which I hope it will.  A co-incidence that Ludodactylus was talking about Chasmosaurus too.  The BotM one is wonderful, definitely worth getting if you like it I think!

CityRaptor

To be fair, Chasmo has the usual 3 horns, the others are more exotic.There also is one in the Feathered Dinos Toob.

Mattel has an upcoming Einiosaurus.
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: