You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor Scientifically Accurate Tyrannosaurus rex "Kiss” and “Tusk”

Started by GojiraGuy1954, June 14, 2021, 08:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Lynx

Ordering my Kiss soon! It's amazing how fast the preorders sold out, this might be one of REBORS bestselling figures  ^-^ 
An oversized house cat.

Abobo

Rain

Hopefully BBTS gets them soon. Really looking forward to this, been so long since I've purchased a T rex  ;D

Quote from: Lynx on August 02, 2022, 01:45:09 PMOrdering my Kiss soon! It's amazing how fast the preorders sold out, this might be one of REBORS bestselling figures  ^-^ 

Where from? I've been considering getting a second one for my nephew.

Lynx

Quote from: Rain on August 02, 2022, 06:14:52 PMHopefully BBTS gets them soon. Really looking forward to this, been so long since I've purchased a T rex  ;D

Quote from: Lynx on August 02, 2022, 01:45:09 PMOrdering my Kiss soon! It's amazing how fast the preorders sold out, this might be one of REBORS bestselling figures  ^-^ 

Big Bad Toystore has Kiss in stock last time I checked! Everything Dinosaurus also sells them both, but is out of stock right now.
An oversized house cat.

Rain

Quote from: Lynx on August 02, 2022, 06:32:50 PM
Quote from: Rain on August 02, 2022, 06:14:52 PMHopefully BBTS gets them soon. Really looking forward to this, been so long since I've purchased a T rex  ;D

Big Bad Toystore has Kiss in stock last time I checked! Everything Dinosaurus also sells them both, but is out of stock right now.

Oh boy... 'Kiss' is sold on out BBTS and REBOR clarified that the figures won't be restocked, once the pre-orders sell out. When they sell out of pre-orders they're gone for good on those specific sites. I know it's still available on Aliexpress, so you could get yours that way?

I was hoping a more local site still had them in stock. Maybe I'll get the lipless variant since it's still in stock on BBTS.

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Bread

Quote from: suspsy on August 03, 2022, 02:47:34 AMSuch a ridiculous business decision.
Agreed. Such a popular genus and the fact that Prehistoric Planet's Hank (Tyrannosaurus) is still being in people's heads, you'd think Rebor would allow these to be mass produced, and not one batch/run.

SidB

Quote from: Bread on August 03, 2022, 03:22:46 AM
Quote from: suspsy on August 03, 2022, 02:47:34 AMSuch a ridiculous business decision.
Agreed. Such a popular genus and the fact that Prehistoric Planet's Hank (Tyrannosaurus) is still being in people's heads, you'd think Rebor would allow these to be mass produced, and not one batch/run.
Now more than ever I'm hoping that Eofauna gets their rex right so that we can get one that's actually available. There seems no end to the poor choices that Rebor has perennially demonstrated the capability of making, of squandering their terrific potential. You have to wonder just what drives this company in this direction, why this choice would be made.

SidB

Quote from: Rain on August 02, 2022, 07:16:07 PM
Quote from: Lynx on August 02, 2022, 06:32:50 PM

Oh boy... 'Kiss' is sold on out BBTS and REBOR clarified that the figures won't be restocked, once the pre-orders sell out. When they sell out of pre-orders they're gone for good on those specific sites. I know it's still available on Aliexpress, so you could get yours that way?

I was hoping a more local site still had them in stock. Maybe I'll get the lipless variant since it's still in stock on BBTS.
BBTS listed it as sold out just now, though La-na-time-shop is selling them both  for 90 USD each.

Carnoking

Resource allocation perhaps? That might not be the case but they do seem to have an uncharacteristically expansive lineup of new figures rolling out at the moment and are maybe needing to plan their production costs accordingly.
Of course, you'd think doing more of a good rex figure would help offset some of that cost but what do I know? (That's not me being flippant, I genuinely don't know what's the best move for a business such as this)

Rain

Should be noted that this isn't exclusive to these rexes, all of their figures are "limited" in this sense. I've never seen their ceratosaurus, nor acrocanthosaurus, get re-stocked. I doubt they're getting rid of the moulds though, so their most popular figures do have a chance of coming back eventually.

Bread

Quote from: Rain on August 03, 2022, 05:12:09 PMShould be noted that this isn't exclusive to these rexes, all of their figures are "limited" in this sense. I've never seen their ceratosaurus, nor acrocanthosaurus, get re-stocked. I doubt they're getting rid of the moulds though, so their most popular figures do have a chance of coming back eventually.
Like you said though, their previous products have never gotten a restock. I've seen the Acrocanthosaurus requested so many times, but yet Rebor hasn't done it. So I have my doubts even if they keep the mould.

SidB

Quote from: Bread on August 04, 2022, 12:56:50 PM
Quote from: Rain on August 03, 2022, 05:12:09 PMShould be noted that this isn't exclusive to these rexes, all of their figures are "limited" in this sense. I've never seen their ceratosaurus, nor acrocanthosaurus, get re-stocked. I doubt they're getting rid of the moulds though, so their most popular figures do have a chance of coming back eventually.
Like you said though, their previous products have never gotten a restock. I've seen the Acrocanthosaurus requested so many times, but yet Rebor hasn't done it. So I have my doubts even if they keep the mould.
Perhaps when the mold shows signs of wear, that's it, it's ditched or whatever. Now that I think about it, I take back a few of my critical words. It may well be an effective tactic. Keep the demand high, then capitalize on the demands of an audience increasingly disinterested in the past and focused on newer and better. Just promise a newer and better rex down the road, or at least feed on their expectations of that hope. A very future-oriented mindset, but one quite attuned to the current collective mindset.

Carnoking

And one well suited for a subject as ever-evolving as paleontology.

Thialfi

They probably place an order for an X amount of figures at the factory, which most likely demands a minimum amount of figures to be made. They can't just 'make' an additional couple of figures because there is some extra demand when they are not confident they will sell out a whole new order.

Anyway, seeing Kiss and Tusk I am absolutely blown away. They are so pretty, full of detail and massive. Rebor is really outdoing themselves with this, the amazing smilodon they made and the upcoming crocs. Good times.

SidB

Quote from: Carnoking on August 04, 2022, 01:34:32 PMAnd one well suited for a subject as ever-evolving as paleontology.
Yes, it seems an appropriate fit in many ways. The exception lies with those collectors who acquire or wish to acquire figures that have a historical significance in the hobby or have a strong personal interest for the collector, for example. But, yeah, Rebor's approach does make sense. but  I'm also glad that other companies don't typically rigorously follow this path. I like being able to get an older figure that's still in production. For instance, I recently purchased CollectA's fine Edaphosaurus from Dejankins, and I'm highly pleased with the piece. This purchase would have been rather unlikely if it had been a Rebor model.

SRF

Some more pictures of Kiss and Tusk popped up on Paleofiguras Facebook-page. Especially this one of Kiss next to Winter Wilson caught my eye. It really shows that even though it is advertised as a 1:35 scale figure, it definitely isn't in 1:35.

I do like these figures, but if I can't get my hands on them I really don't mind that much seeing how big they are. I'm actually looking forward more towards Eofauna's Tyrannosaurus.
But today, I'm just being father

Rain

Quote from: Bread on August 04, 2022, 12:56:50 PM

That's fair but it is a slightly different situation. Their acrocanthosaurus was in stock for a while whereas these sold out before they were even mass produced. The demand isn't comparable IMO.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: