News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich - New for 2023

Started by Flaffy, July 30, 2022, 05:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiganotosaurusFan

Upps....topic already said.
Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.

CityRaptor

Yeah, with Schleich is mostly depends on which picture they rip-off for their products. Chances are the Galiimimus ends up looking like the JP/JW one with some badly added feathers, kinda like their "Velociraptor".

Also, if the pattern shown so far continues, these are only the figures for the first half of the year, while the second half will be more human-related stuff.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: CityRaptor on August 03, 2022, 09:44:02 AMYeah, with Schleich is mostly depends on which picture they rip-off for their products. Chances are the Galiimimus ends up looking like the JP/JW one with some badly added feathers, kinda like their "Velociraptor".

Also, if the pattern shown so far continues, these are only the figures for the first half of the year, while the second half will be more human-related stuff.
They package their only good figures with the stupid human garbage
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

suspsy

Last year only had two human sets packed with new toys—-Tupuxuara and Tapejara, IIRC. The rest were all garish repaints.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CityRaptor

True.

Quote from: suspsy on August 02, 2022, 05:25:03 PMWhew! That's a relief!

There is still a chance that they might based it on that one.  Or the Dinosaur King one since JP/W and Dinosaur King are their main sources of rip-offs.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

DragonRider02

I am expecting the Monolophosaurus to be rip-off of this:

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: suspsy on August 03, 2022, 06:51:53 PMLast year only had two human sets packed with new toys—-Tupuxuara and Tapejara, IIRC. The rest were all garish repaints.
Yes
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Flaffy

When does Schleich usually reveal their figures? I only remember that their new stuff pops up before everyone elses.

Lynx

Usually pretty early at the start of the year, or late the year before.
An oversized house cat.

suspsy

Last year, images of 2022 products began appearing online right around this time, although I don't recall if they were leaks or official releases.

Halichoeres

The names were known this time last year, but I don't think images leaked until mid-September.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 08, 2022, 07:30:50 PMThe names were known this time last year, but I don't think images leaked until mid-September.

Then hopefully we only have to wait another month and a bit to confirm our dreams/disappointment.

Halichoeres

Quote from: suspsy on August 09, 2022, 01:26:32 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on August 08, 2022, 07:30:50 PMThe names were known this time last year, but I don't think images leaked until mid-September.

Then hopefully we only have to wait another month and a bit to confirm our dreams/disappointment.

You know, I wasn't sure I had enough regard left for Schleich to even feel disappointment, but this year's Nothosaurus still managed to disappoint me.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

suspsy

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 09, 2022, 08:21:50 PM
Quote from: suspsy on August 09, 2022, 01:26:32 PM

You know, I wasn't sure I had enough regard left for Schleich to even feel disappointment, but this year's Nothosaurus still managed to disappoint me.

I can't envision how that Nothosaurus wouldn't manage to disappoint a person. Even if you didn't know the first thing about sauropterygians, you'd still see that it's repugnant to behold.

On the plus side, it'll be hard for Schleich to make an even worse toy.

Won't it?

Pliosaurking

You never know...

SidB

Well, avatar_Pliosaurking @Pliosaurking , as bad as these are, you may just want to check out the Schleich Replica-Saurus Ceratosaurus review on the DTB for the worst toy dinosaur ever conceived and marketed, IMO. What am I saying ... Schleich has a history of producing shockingly awful dinosaurs, so you're right, just when you think that they can't have done worse ... they have!

Halichoeres

Looking at the last few years of releases on dinotoycollector.com, it seems like the probability of any individual Schleich figure being passable is between 25% and 30%, but it's higher for ceratopsians and lower for theropods.

SidB

A forum member once described Schleich's theropods as "diabolical," and I think that was a descriptive that all too frequently has been apt.

Over9K

I don't understand how Schleich can make the decent modern animals they do, and then just fail at dinosaurs. I have two of their T.rex figures, the boxhead and the egghead. Repainted the boxhead, and somehow might have actually made it worse, but it was my first time painting anything with a brush in 30-ish years. The egghead is way out of proportion, misshapen, gangly and ugly, but I tried to photograph it from its most "flattering" angle and it almost doesn't look horrible.

By comparison, their modern animals are beautiful. Their African Bull Elephant, Nile Crocodile and Komodo Dragon figures are especially nice. I have their Bull Elephant displayed alongside my EoFauna proboscideans, and while its not quite the same quality or detail, I think it holds up, and doesn't look as "toy-like" as their stuff often does.

The Komodo Dragon is really a handsome little lizard, totally works as a 1/18th scale Komodo, next to REBOR's GNG "Megalania"

I just don't get why they can't make their dinosaurs as nicely.

suspsy

Schleich's modern animals have seen a decline in overall quality in recent years as well, unfortunately.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: