News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nomen conservandum?

Started by Loon, October 21, 2022, 06:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

I was thinking about times when two or more species have been found to be synonymous, but one name has become relatively well-known enough to become the official species name. I know something like this happened with tyrannosauridae, but other than that, I can't recall any other instances. It's bound to have happened, though.

Update: turns out I'm thinking of nomen conservandum.

andrewsaurus rex

scientifically, the first name given takes precedence, whether it's well known or not.  One example is Brontosaurus and Apatosaurus.   When they were thought to be the same, the name Brontosaurus was dropped because Apatosaurus was used first.  However, I believe Bronto is back as it is now considered a valid genus.  However, there are lots of examples where the first name gets used and the, perhaps more popular name, goes by the wayside.

T rex was first called Dynamosaurus, but that got lost in history.  I believe Barnum Brown first wanted to call T rex, Epispondylus or something like that but Osborn overruled him and coined Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Loon

A @andrewsaurus I should have been clear, but I do know that. The brontosaurus business doesn't necessarily fall into what I'm asking. I'm thinking of instances where that rule is broken for one reason or another to keep the more popular name.

Also, I believe the other name for tyrannosaurus was Deinodon, which the family tyrannosauridae was originally named after, but I may be wrong.

Edit: I actually found the name for this phenomenon: nomen conservandum

andrewsaurus rex

ah ok.  Well, Dynamosaurus may apply because i think a fossil found before Brown made his discovery was later found to be a T rex and had been named Dynamosaurus.  But by then Tyrannosaurus Rex was so popular Dynamosaurus was just left forgotten about.

And the original name for T Rex was Manospondylus Gigas.  I looked it up.

Loon

A @andrewsaurus yeah, you're right, I forgot about manospondylus. Weird, considering it's a fairly catchy name. So, yeah, I guess tyrannosaurus counts then.

andrewsaurus rex

well i don't think Mandospondylus was ever official.  It was proposed by Brown, but Osborn didn't like it and made the official name Tyrannosaurus. 

Dynamosaurus was an official name before Tyrannosaurus though and should have had priority.  But Tyrannosaurus was so popular that Dynanosaurus was left forgotten.  Back then the rules weren't enforced as rigidly as they are today.  It was the wild west of fossil hunting.

Leyster

Manospondylus (which was used by Cope), Bathygnathus ecc. are nomina oblita = not used as valid name since 1900. This applies for modern species name, too. Deinodon cannot be distinguished among Tyrannosaurids (since it's from the Judith River, it's either Daspletosaurus or Gorgosaurus), so it's a nomen dubium.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Halichoeres

Quote from: Leyster on October 21, 2022, 07:57:05 PMManospondylus (which was used by Cope), Bathygnathus ecc. are nomina oblita = not used as valid name since 1900. This applies for modern species name, too. Deinodon cannot be distinguished among Tyrannosaurids (since it's from the Judith River, it's either Daspletosaurus or Gorgosaurus), so it's a nomen dubium.

Yep, Bathygnathus being suppressed in favor of the later name Dimetrodon is the most prominent example that I can think of.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.