News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2023

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2022, 02:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

What a joy to see a Hadrosaurus!  I've wanted one for ages and CollectA hadrosaurs are usually good. Very much a dinosaur from my now distant childhood. Quite pleased to see the Ceratosuchops keeping up Mr Beeson's liking for British dinosaurs and also very recent discoveries. I would have preferred no articulation but it wouldn't put me off. Given that I bought both Deluxe versions this year (and have a large herd of Triceratops!) I won't buy the Triceratops but it is doubtless a sound commercial choice to have a cheaper smaller one available for which the prep has already been done.

PrimevalRaptor

Starting off really strong here! The Triceratops is neat but not too high on my priorities (the stripes are kinda neat though). Ceratosuchops is amazing, I love the colors chosen and the fact that we're already getting a model of this one, it's super neat to see CollectA focus on British dinosaurs, only a question of time til we got enough for a Wealden diorama. :D
Finally having a proper Hadrosaurus is the icing of the cake, quite the nostalgic species for me since it's been in a ton of books, color scheme is fairly standard for ornithopods but the sculpt is incredible, especially the texturing (I guess it helps that we have some great hadrosaur skin impressions).

bmathison1972

I will strongly consider the Hadrosaurus (unless Safari announces one before this one is released).

Bread

Maybe I am in the minority here, but I enjoy the second Triceratops. I've been more and more tempted to pick of the 2022 model, and to have this one means a good pair to have.

Not a fan of the Hadrosaurus and Ceratosuchops. The Hadrosaurus may be due to the bland coloration, but the Ceratosuchops I have no interest in due to its unknown existance till now.

How (or if) fragmentary is Ceratosuchops?

Flaffy

What pleasant news to wake up to!

CollectA really picked up their ornithopod game back in 2018 with their fantastic Iguanodon and Mantellisaurus. This Hadrosaurus is certainly no exception, glad to see CollectA giving this group some much needed attention.

Ceratosuchops is not unexpected, very charateristic of CollectA. Looks a lot more natural thant their reconstruction of Baryonyx too, so that's a plus. CollectA articulated jaws aren't executed the best so I too wish it was absent.

Triceratops is an easy pass. Good budget option for kids, but there are far better models out there for collectors.

Flaffy

Quote from: Bread on November 04, 2022, 11:31:42 AMNot a fan of the Hadrosaurus and Ceratosuchops. The Hadrosaurus may be due to the bland coloration, but the Ceratosuchops I have no interest in due to its unknown existance till now.

The discovery (well, official description) of Ceratosuchops and Ripravenator last year did make the rounds in the local news here in the UK; and fossil material had obviously been found way before that. So I wouldn't say its unknown.

As for it's fragmentary nature: (Ripravenator in the foreground, Ceratosuchops at the back)

Very fragmentary. But that model essentially could stand in for any member in Baryonychinae save for Suchomimus. And definitely makes for a better Baryonyx than CollectA's 2019/20 attempts.

Lynx

[deleted, wrong thread]
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

Quote from: Bread on November 04, 2022, 11:31:42 AMMaybe I am in the minority here, but I enjoy the second Triceratops. I've been more and more tempted to pick of the 2022 model, and to have this one means a good pair to have.

Not a fan of the Hadrosaurus and Ceratosuchops. The Hadrosaurus may be due to the bland coloration, but the Ceratosuchops I have no interest in due to its unknown existance till now.

While a bit fragmentary as shown above, the existence of other Spinosaurids like it allows it to be decently known. Of course, later finds of Ceratosuchops may be vastly different than what we think, but at the moment this figure is a good representation of the genus.
An oversized house cat.

Flaffy

Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on November 04, 2022, 09:50:16 AMit's super neat to see CollectA focus on British dinosaurs, only a question of time til we got enough for a Wealden diorama. :D

I too hope for more British species being made into figure form. Plenty of dinosaurs, marine reptiles and pterosaurs for the picking.

Lynx

Okay so, onto my main complaints.

- Ceratosuchops: As I mentioned in my initial reaction, it does not look much like it is fishing. In my opinion, you could call it Ceratosuchops and nothing would change. I don't have much I dislike about this figure otherwise.

- Hadrosaurus: Feels a bit samey, the underbelly has large lettering that is very noticeable, and the color scheme isn't very inspired.

- Triceratops: Same issue as ceratosuchops, unnecessary title. The color scheme is a bit boring but works well for a female or young individual. Striping could have been done better, and overall is a bit underwhelming compared to the other releases.
An oversized house cat.

MLMjp

Hadrosaurus itself. This takes me back to my childhood when I had a bipedal duckbilled "chinasaur" toy of it. It was the only non-Parasaurolophus large hadrosaur in my toy coffin.

I´m not very enthusiastic of these recently named spinosaurids such as Ceratosuchops, Iberospinus, & Riparovenator. Their fragmentary remains means almost all reconstructions are just a copy & paste of Baryonyx, and this toy is just that.

I find the Triceratops to be rather bland, I prefer the colors of the larger one, minus the cookie ice cream frill.

EDIT: just shaw the measurements, Hadrosaurus is too small for me, unfortunately.

DragonRider02

That Triceratops honestly 'feels' A LOT like a Schleich figure. Especially that long tail. And the pose is identical to Schleich's Diabloceratops.
I wish they downsized their Deluxe Protoceratops instead...

Also, Paleofiguras posted a possible leak list of next CollectA dinosaurs on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=448420177397722&set=a.415867517319655

So we might be getting:
- Ruyangosaurus (1:100)
- Brighstoneus
- Shastasaurus
- Mosasaurus (1:40)

Flaffy

Quote from: DragonRider02 on November 04, 2022, 01:22:10 PMSo we might be getting:
- Brighstoneus
- Shastasaurus

Would love everything on that list. Particularly Brighstoneus.

Lynx

Quote from: DragonRider02 on November 04, 2022, 01:22:10 PMThat Triceratops honestly 'feels' A LOT like a Schleich figure. Especially that long tail. And the pose is identical to Schleich's Diabloceratops.
I wish they downsized their Deluxe Protoceratops instead...

Also, Paleofiguras posted a possible leak list of next CollectA dinosaurs on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=448420177397722&set=a.415867517319655

So we might be getting:
- Brighstoneus
- Shastasaurus

No interest in anything on that list besides the Shastasaurus. Would much prefer a redo of a figure (MANY of which need them), but for those interested in the species featured, I am glad.

CollectAs Mosasaurus is already really good, so I have high expectations for this.

Question, where are they even getting these leaks? Genuine question.
An oversized house cat.

Faelrin

Shastasaurus would be the one I'm most interested in as well, considering it may have been one of the largest ichthyosaurs (if not the largest?). Although that depends heavily on the species however, and if that species actually belongs to Shastasaurus at all (S. sikanniensis).

Brighstoneus is a nice choice too. Probably better remains then Hadrosaurus (although it is a historically important genus) to reconstruct from. I had to jog my memory on it though. That's another one described in 2021, and was found in the Wessex Formation (which Ceratosuchops is also from).

A larger version of their previous decent Mosasaurus would be nice to see as well.

I will be taking these with a grain of salt for now, until we get more images. They have been wrong about things before (such as the PNSO Edmontonia, which was truly just low res artwork being passed around, and others).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on November 04, 2022, 01:55:01 PMShastasaurus would be the one I'm most interested in as well, considering it may have been one of the largest ichthyosaurs (if not the largest?). Although that depends heavily on the species however, and if that species actually belongs to Shastasaurus at all (S. sikanniensis).

I beleive the debate is still up in the air on whether it should be classified as Shonisaruus or Shastasaurus.
Mark Witton goes for the Shonisaurus classification:

"My take on a 21 m long Shonisaurus sikanniensis, shown here with generic, 6 m long, Sha. pacificus-sized shastasaurids to stress the size difference between these two 'giant' genera. Shastasaurus is a little older than Shonisaurus and the two didn't live alongside one another but, if they had, Shastasaurus would have been dwarfed by its larger cousin." - Mark Witton 2020

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Thanks for the info there. Well I certainly wouldn't mind either way.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Alt angles

Lynx

Hoping from the bottom of my heart that the last release is a standing Spinosaurus. CollectA would technically be the first to make a toy figure of a standing spinosaurus, afaik.
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

Quote from: Faelrin on November 04, 2022, 01:55:01 PMShastasaurus would be the one I'm most interested in as well, considering it may have been one of the largest ichthyosaurs (if not the largest?). Although that depends heavily on the species however, and if that species actually belongs to Shastasaurus at all (S. sikanniensis).

Brighstoneus is a nice choice too. Probably better remains then Hadrosaurus (although it is a historically important genus) to reconstruct from. I had to jog my memory on it though. That's another one described in 2021, and was found in the Wessex Formation (which Ceratosuchops is also from).

A larger version of their previous decent Mosasaurus would be nice to see as well.

I will be taking these with a grain of salt for now, until we get more images. They have been wrong about things before (such as the PNSO Edmontonia, which was truly just low res artwork being passed around, and others).

They have also afaik spread images of the "PNSO Styracosaurus" that ended up just being pictures of an unrelated resin kit. Have they predicted CollectA releases in the past, though?

Again, I wonder who is even supplying these leaks.
An oversized house cat.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: