News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, November 09, 2022, 01:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Concavenator is just awful
Reminds me of the conversation in the controversial opinion thread. I think this is what happens when you let 2 differeng sculptors, one experienced and one new work together. Or maybe the old Papo sculptor is just losing it.

The einiosaurus is ok, maybe decent but the head is too small

Ludodactylus

Einiosaurus has big "Dürer's Rhinoceros" energy.

Concavenator might be an effort to make the Papo Baryonyx look better.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Blade-of-the-Moon

That Concavenator is worse than a Schleich version. So much wrong where do  I start?

Einio is ok though the head could be too small?

Still like the marine creatures the most..and I think that's a five lined skink? Might want him for sure.

Thialfi

I really hope the rereleased woolly rhino at least has a slight change in paint, where there is better differentiation between horns, toenails and fur. It's not a bad sculpt.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Lynx on November 09, 2022, 01:56:51 PMI am VERY impressed by both releases and will be picking up that Concavenator. There's no shrinkwrapping, in fact, it almost looks like an attempt at accuracy.
Look at his ARRRMMMMM
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

GojiraGuy1954

> Coelodonta coming out of retirement

Hell yeah

Lynx

I really don't understand what's so bad about the Concavenator. The feathering looks like literal play dough but besides that it isn't too bad IMO.
An oversized house cat.

Sim

It almost looks like Papo and Schleich are swapping places.

Bread

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on November 09, 2022, 06:47:55 PMIt almost looks like Papo and Schleich are swapping places.
Schleich isnt improving

Sim

I think Schleich has improved.  They're still not great, but their 2023 prehistoric figures look better than Papo's.

EmperorDinobot

It's not like I can even see these in the real world. The Hobby Store in Wilsonville has some, but they are figures from years ago, like the Brachiosaurus, which is always impressive to look at, but I already own one...

bmathison1972

Quote from: Faelrin on November 09, 2022, 03:16:37 PMB @bmathison1972 It's a re-release of the previously retired 2013 Woolly Rhino (which was retired in 2017). Likewise the Archaeopteryx is another that's a re-release of the 2014 figure that was retired in 2019.

I wonder why they are doing that? I don't think it's a particularly bad move, but curious. While not prehistoric, they also brought their old werewolf figure out of retirement as well, I guess this year, so certainly a trend going on.

I'm also wondering how the paint apps will be. While it's not Papo specific, they do get marginally worse paint apps as time goes on.

Thanks; I'll pass then. As far as re-releasing, they do that all the time with their extant animals. Several are being re-released in 2023 also (giant anteater, platypus, raccoon, others)

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on November 09, 2022, 07:26:42 PMI think Schleich has improved.  They're still not great, but their 2023 prehistoric figures look better than Papo's.
Really?

At least the Papo Concavenator is only ugly in an unappealing way

stargatedalek

I spot a pigeon and some cool looking new dragons!

The dinosaurs are painfully meh though. Still better than Schleich I agree.

Mattyonyx

Papo's master sculptor, Mr. Seo, clearly worked on the two marine reptiles and the articulated dragons, so I wouldn't exactly call it a downfall, it's just that the "life-like" signature style of Papo has been put on other things...

And I'm surprised no one mentioned Sean Cooper's Concavenator yet... I see some resemblance ::)

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 09, 2022, 08:00:54 PMI spot a pigeon and some cool looking new dragons!

The dinosaurs are painfully meh though. Still better than Schleich I agree.
I'd get saying Schleich was improving in like... 2018-2019...

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler

[close]

...because those years DID have some uncharacteristically good figures. 2023 undoubtedly does not.

GojiraGuy1954

The Gastonia is the only passable one, and that doesn't even have fully painted osteoderms.

Sim

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 09, 2022, 08:00:25 PM
Quote from: Sim on November 09, 2022, 07:26:42 PMI think Schleich has improved.  They're still not great, but their 2023 prehistoric figures look better than Papo's.
Really?

[Images removed]

At least the Papo Concavenator is only ugly in an unappealing way
Yes, really.  The Papo Concavenator is ugly due to being unrealistic too.  Its feathers look like tentacles and the brow scales are nonsense which don't match osteological correlates on Concavenator's skull.  Its brow scales and large belly scales are reminiscent of similar nonsense integument on the Papo Protoceratops, and Schleich's newest Carnotaurus.  The Papo Concavenator reminds me of Schleich because its integument just looks like fantasy, something Schleich used to do often.
I don't see anything wrong with Schleich's Monolophosaurus except that it has oversized feet, something some Papo dinosaurs suffer from as well.

And I'm going to disagree about Schleich's prehistoric figures for 2018 and 2019, I find their 2023 releases generally better and 2018/2019's poor, except for the Spinosaurus which was decent.

KrazyKaprosuchus

Quote from: Sim on November 09, 2022, 09:05:56 PMI don't see anything wrong with Schleich's Monolophosaurus except that it has oversized feet, something some Papo dinosaurs suffer from as well.
I concur. Also I quite like the gallimimus, even though it of course isn't perfect (especially those hands..).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: