News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, November 09, 2022, 01:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renecito

NEW:

Mosasaurus 55088

Kronosaurus 55089

Concavenator 55096

Einiosaurus 55097

REISSUES:

Woolly Rhino 55031

Archaeopteryx 55034

Spoiler

Source: Paleofiguras
[close]
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

suspsy

. . . jumping Jesus. :o

I actually felt a tiny bit nauseous when I laid eyes upon that horrifying Concavenator. It looks like it's suffering from the same affliction that poor Joseph Merrick became famous for.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

Looks to me that Papo is sort of back, in the flamboyant, over- the -top Papo style, meaning the Concavenator in particular.  I may pick up the Einiosaurus. I hope that the production values are up to par.

Lynx

I am VERY impressed by both releases and will be picking up that Concavenator. There's no shrinkwrapping, in fact, it almost looks like an attempt at accuracy.
An oversized house cat.

Carnoking

You're killing me here, Papo. I can see myself eventually warming to the Einiosaurus but darn do I miss the immediate excitement these new reveals used to give me.

JimoAi

FINALLY A PROPER SPOTTED EAGLE RAY!!!

Pachyrhinosaurus

I looked far and wide for the anteater and mouflon last year and now it's kind of disappointing I didn't have to. At least I didn't pay too much for them. I also missed out on the raccoon and haven't gotten one yet so I'll be sure to pick one up!

The prehistoric animals don't thrill me but I don't think they're bad. I'm much more excited for the modern animals though. The yeti could be interesting too, though I can see already it's the wrong color.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Gwangi

Not at all liking that Concavenator but the Einiosaurus is one of their better dinosaurs in recent years. If I didn't already have Safari's and PNSO's I would probably get it.

EDIT: I am seeing some interesting extant animals in that last image. Papo continues to excel in that department.

Ludodactylus

I think I'm confused - is the Pentaceratops in this picture because it's being reissued? Or just as an example of what else is in the line besides the new Einiosaurus and Concavenator?
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

SidB

BTW, thanks for forwarding this, avatar_Renecito @Renecito .

Faelrin

Those feathers (and scutes) on the Concavenator look awful, and that Einiosaurus is so chonky it looks like it crawled out a Knight painting. Is this a new sculptor or something? I would easily be convinced they were Schleich's offerings if it weren't for the obvious.

Safe to say I'm done with Papo at this point. We are living in a time with highly detailed models that are sculpted based on existing evidence (at least mostly, or until science marches on), that there's no draw for me anymore with theirs when they make them look like this. I mean between Safari LTD and PNSO, and sometimes CollectA.

Unless one prefers the colorations on these, there are also superior options for the species on the market (although some like the Safari Ltd Einiosaurus, and Carnegie Collection Concavenator are retired now). Or who knows maybe PNSO will do them someday as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DragonRider02

That Concavenator looks like it crawled out of some bootleg JW/Ark mobile game, it's abysmal

suspsy

It also would have been nicer if the woolly rhino and the Archaeopteryx had been repainted.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

KrazyKaprosuchus

Mother of God those are both so ugly. Not that I expected any different from Papo, but seeing the marine reptiles actually at least piqued my interest, I thought maybe there'd be a good one. At least their extant animals look fantastic as usual.

Pachyrhinosaurus

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin I think the einiosaurus is appropriately bulky. It reminds me of the Battat Pachyrhinosaurus (and other ceratopsids that haven't seen the light of day yet).
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

KrazyKaprosuchus

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on November 09, 2022, 02:39:40 PMavatar_Faelrin @Faelrin I think the einiosaurus is appropriately bulky. It reminds me of the Battat Pachyrhinosaurus (and other ceratopsids that haven't seen the light of day yet).
I disagree. It looks like it just ate another einiosaurus. :o

bmathison1972

I might consider the woolly rhino, if not the same species as the most recent WS Safari one

Pliosaurking

I have no clue on what to say for these 2. I think I'm going to wait to see them in hand.
Still excited for their kronosaurus, and to a lesser extent the Mosasaurus.

Faelrin

B @bmathison1972 It's a re-release of the previously retired 2013 Woolly Rhino (which was retired in 2017). Likewise the Archaeopteryx is another that's a re-release of the 2014 figure that was retired in 2019.

I wonder why they are doing that? I don't think it's a particularly bad move, but curious. While not prehistoric, they also brought their old werewolf figure out of retirement as well, I guess this year, so certainly a trend going on.

I'm also wondering how the paint apps will be. While it's not Papo specific, they do get marginally worse paint apps as time goes on.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Fembrogon

The Einosaurus seems decent, bht its head looks 50% too small to me.
Concavenator is just whacky. I can't tell what's going on there.

I forgot Papo ever did a woolly rhino, though. That looks pretty good.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: