News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Toy Blog Youtube videos

Started by Sim, November 10, 2022, 10:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

I get the impression avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum no longer has time for making the Youtube videos for Top 10 polls.  This means the Top 10 figures of 2019 doesn't have a video, while there is one for the Top 10 of 2020, and there are some completed polls for the top of 10 of particular groups that wait for a video without one in sight.  Additionally, because only three Top 10 polls can be active at one time in the Top 10 polls section, no-one can make new polls for which there's interest in.

So, I wonder whether it would be possible to allow another forum member to make the videos?  I personally wouldn't be able to do it as I know nothing about making Youtube videos.  But perhaps there is someone else on this forum that might be interested in this role?

I hope this doesn't come across as an attack or criticism of Dr Admin, I really don't mean that.

SidB

I've been wondering, avatar_Sim @Sim , the same thing myself, for some time now. No, it doesn't come across as disrespectful of ungrateful, IMO. We all greatly appreciate and are indebted to his ongoing direction and leadership, but there are only so many hours in a day. I suppose, only Dr. Admin himself can really answer this question, of course.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on November 10, 2022, 10:39:47 PMI get the impression avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum no longer has time for making the Youtube videos for Top 10 polls.  This means the Top 10 figures of 2019 doesn't have a video, while there is one for the Top 10 of 2020, and there are some completed polls for the top of 10 of particular groups that wait for a video without one in sight.  Additionally, because only three Top 10 polls can be active at one time in the Top 10 polls section, no-one can make new polls for which there's interest in.

So, I wonder whether it would be possible to allow another forum member to make the videos?  I personally wouldn't be able to do it as I know nothing about making Youtube videos.  But perhaps there is someone else on this forum that might be interested in this role?

I hope this doesn't come across as an attack or criticism of Dr Admin, I really don't mean that.

Oh, I don't see it as an attack, I'm aware I'm very much behind! It's not so much a matter of time for me now, more a matter of practicality. Things are in flux at home as we still have renovations going on so my workstation isn't properly set up or there's some other distraction. Because it has been a long time I'm out of practice, and I also need to update the software.  Similarly I'm not very active on the Dinosaur Toy Blog because there's usually some limiting factor, such as not having a good place to take photographs, or I'm just feeling tired and unmotivated. So, even when I find some time I'm not in the right state of mind.

It's a phase I'll come out of and will get around to updating the Youtube channel eventually...

Sim

Thanks for explaining what the situation is avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum.  I'm very much looking forward to the return of the videos!  I was looking at the topics in the top 10 poll section of the forum and thinking how interesting it would be to do some new ones!

Gwangi

I would be potentially willing to make top 10 videos for the Youtube channel but that would require that I have access to it and I would understand it if avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum was not comfortable with that.

SidB

Quote from: Gwangi on January 22, 2023, 09:21:12 PMI would be potentially willing to make top 10 videos for the Youtube channel but that would require that I have access to it and I would understand it if avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum was not comfortable with that.
It would be great to see the Blog being able to move forward in this area, regardless of who is carrying the ball at any particular time. These top tens have been a real source of fun and have worked to bring a certain sense of closure to any given year. The way that the polls are set up and conducted always seems to be in a spirit of genuine accountability, responsibility and openness. So if, with Admin. consent, a member like avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi, would be able to assist, that would be excellent.

SidB

P.S.: That was NOT a paid advertisement.

Crackington

Coincidentally, I was looking at the Blog videos for the first time in a while yesterday (I'm recovering from a minor op so was looking for things to watch).

There's some great stuff on there but it would be good to see some new videos too. I realise that Dr Admin is extremely busy with work and life though, so that's very kind of you avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi offering to help with the Top Ten videos.

I've been contemplating a collection video for years but my zero skills would require some tech help from the younger Crackingtons - who are really busy with their studies. Ho hum!

Sim

Dr Admin, do you think avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi could make Youtube videos for top ten polls while you're unable to?  I hope I'm not doing something wrong by asking this!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on March 07, 2023, 01:11:40 PMDr Admin, do you think avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi could make Youtube videos for top ten polls while you're unable to?  I hope I'm not doing something wrong by asking this!

Fine by me. And I can upload them to the channel if he sends the finished files to me.

Sim

Oh, that's great! :D  Thank you very much!

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi, if you're still up for doing it, the following polls don't have a results video:

1. Top 10 figures of 2019
2. Top 10 figures of 2021
3. Top 10 figures of 2022
4. Top 10 stegosaurian figures
5. Top 10 ceratopsoid figures (excluding Triceratops)
6. Top 10 allosauroid figures (excluding Allosaurus)

Making a video for the last three would allow new polls in the top 10 section of our forum.  However, since those three polls were held, a number of great new figures representing those groups have been released.  I wonder what would be best?  I can think of four options:
1. Make a video and include "as of (the year the poll is from)"
2. Start the poll again, using the existing thread
3. Start the poll again, creating a new thread for it
4. Consider the polls failed and make new polls for other subjects
I personally would not support option 4.  What option(s) do people think is best?  Just looking at the stegosaurian poll, it has 75 votes...

Gwangi

I'm still willing to do it, although I make no promises as to how fast I'll get through them (baby due in 3 weeks). I'll prioritize the Top 10 per year polls first. As for the others, I almost think it would be better to just disregard the old polls and make new ones. If we do it right then I can make a video shortly after each poll is finished and the videos will then be more relevant vs. making a video for a poll conducted years ago. 

Where shall I get pictures from avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum? I assume any picture on the blog is fair game, credited of course. The issue with that is I cannot copy and save pictures from the blog. I can also take my own pictures, assuming I have the figure.

SidB

Certainly the yearly top 10 polls are priorities. Kinda agree that the other polls are dated and maybe not worth saving, as the turn around period has been too long, obviously.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on March 07, 2023, 03:20:53 PMI'm still willing to do it, although I make no promises as to how fast I'll get through them (baby due in 3 weeks). I'll prioritize the Top 10 per year polls first. As for the others, I almost think it would be better to just disregard the old polls and make new ones. If we do it right then I can make a video shortly after each poll is finished and the videos will then be more relevant vs. making a video for a poll conducted years ago. 

Where shall I get pictures from avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum? I assume any picture on the blog is fair game, credited of course. The issue with that is I cannot copy and save pictures from the blog. I can also take my own pictures, assuming I have the figure.

Yeah, I normally pull the images from the blog and then ask on the forum for any missing after that. I installed protection on the blog. If you can't access all the images you need from the back end (media library) then I'll temporarily deactivate the protection so you can grab which images you need.

Gwangi

Yes, I can access them from the back end. Finding the right pictures might be tricky but I'll see what I can do when the time comes.

Sim

Thanks Gwangi!  And congratulations on a new baby.  I too would prefer the three open polls were updated before creating a video.  I'll try using an existing thread and creating a new poll and see how that goes.

Gwangi

avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum I am working on the Top Ten of 2019 video and was wondering if there was an intro/outro you wanted me to use? I would need you to send it to me or you could insert it into the video yourself, if you prefer.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on March 15, 2023, 08:50:36 PMavatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum I am working on the Top Ten of 2019 video and was wondering if there was an intro/outro you wanted me to use? I would need you to send it to me or you could insert it into the video yourself, if you prefer.

Yeah, it's probably easier for me to add the intro/outro myself. If you have some audio you want to overlap the intro/outro then just leave the required amount of blank screen at the beginning/end. Or, I have 'go-to' audio files that I can add. Just send the main content as a video file when you're done and I'll add whatever needs adding and upload it to the channel. Thanks!

DinoToyForum

Sorry I'm slow to post the video avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi sent me. I'm really up to my eyeballs with work at the museum...I'm in the midst of another new gallery installation. Proof: https://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=61.msg35724#msg35724

Sim

avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum I noticed the taxidermy gallery is open now, congratulations!  Will we see the next DTB video sometime soon? O:-)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: