You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna Scientific Research - New for 2023

Started by GojiraGuy1954, November 08, 2022, 07:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim Oh you meant the coloration there. I guess I can what you mean but it might be important to mention that Rebor used this Blue Rhino Studios statue for the coloration of the Kiss/lipped T. rex, which appears to have a similar dark color around the eyes. While it is possible Rebor does try to make some things as "awesomebro" as possible, I don't think this is really one of those times, and I honestly feel like it still looks natural on the figure. While an unrelated animal, it reminds me of the black tissue around grey wolves eyes.

avatar_Concavenator @5aurophaganax Thanks for sharing that information, and reminding me about the previous discussion held on that figure's musculature. Honestly it is still a pretty good figure in my eyes despite that, with only the BotM a real contender (for lipped featherless options), aside from this upcoming Eofauna one. Also figures they knew something I didn't. I'm also curious to see where that work on that hypothesis seems. Most seemed pretty quick to dismiss it (including myself as well, though I mainly mean paleontologists here).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

Well, everyone can have their own opinion on Kiss. :)  To me personally what REBOR did in the eye areas doesn't look natural, and on the Blue Rhino Studios Tyrannosaurus that area is grey and looks natural.  Also on grey wolves it looks natural to me in the way it complements the eye, in contrast to Kiss where the black seems to create craters that the eyes emerge from - something REBOR has done on previous figures too (the first Carnotaurus and the Ankylosaurus).

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Faelrin on November 16, 2022, 06:21:54 PMavatar_Sim @Sim

When I first saw this blue rhino rendition I was blown away by it, I even saved the image but after really looking at I began to think, wow, this a bad figure.

The way the color goes from brownish grey to white looks ridiculous to me now, that area in front of the left leg looks like it's a cows utters but with the teats missing.  The pose itself looks like complete baloney, I think if the animal was bending down like this the two hind legs would have to be side by side to counter lever it's weight properly with it's tail.  Love most of the head but the white creases on the back of the neck make it look like the separate skin folds are huge scales.

Then there is the left leg, wow, that thing looks ridiculous, the sheer lack of muscle in the upper thigh, the disproportionate bone structure with the oversized ankle but undersized calf, giant chicken feet, IDK, I think it's just a mess.

I like the head, the lips, and I think the tail looks appropriately muscled and beefy, but the chest/thorso seems too small to house all the organs an animal this size would have.

Sorry for going off topic I I'm just not a fan of this particular sculpt or the way that they painted the lower half of it.

GiganotosaurusFan

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on November 17, 2022, 12:31:47 AM
Quote from: Faelrin on November 16, 2022, 06:21:54 PMavatar_Sim @Sim

When I first saw this blue rhino rendition I was blown away by it, I even saved the image but after really looking at I began to think, wow, this a bad figure.

The way the color goes from brownish grey to white looks ridiculous to me now, that area in front of the left leg looks like it's a cows utters but with the teats missing.  The pose itself looks like complete baloney, I think if the animal was bending down like this the two hind legs would have to be side by side to counter lever it's weight properly with it's tail.  Love most of the head but the white creases on the back of the neck make it look like the separate skin folds are huge scales.

Then there is the left leg, wow, that thing looks ridiculous, the sheer lack of muscle in the upper thigh, the disproportionate bone structure with the oversized ankle but undersized calf, giant chicken feet, IDK, I think it's just a mess.

I like the head, the lips, and I think the tail looks appropriately muscled and beefy, but the chest/thorso seems too small to house all the organs an animal this size would have.

Sorry for going off topic I I'm just not a fan of this particular sculpt or the way that they painted the lower half of it.

This.
Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.

postsaurischian

>:(  Please stop the off topic discussion here!

suspsy

I've always really liked that Blue Rhino sculpture. Wish it was mounted right in front of the museum here.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

postsaurischian

That sculpture is really bad and doesn't belong in this thread.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: postsaurischian on November 17, 2022, 06:24:47 PMThat sculpture is really bad and doesn't belong in this thread.
We need a neutral face emoji so I can use them on statements like this
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

GiganotosaurusFan

It would have been fine had the thigh not been so extremely underdeveloped...
Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.

CARN0TAURUS

Getting back to what matters...

I'm really concerned how movable jaws are going to rob this sculpture of one of it's most fascinating features, I don't think I've ever seen a tyrannosaur figure with cheeks before, but I confess I'm not super familiar with expensive resin figures. 

I think the cheeks make it look really different yet believable and I think even in a carnivore the cheeks could serve a purpose of guiding chunks of meat towards the back of the throat?

Or is the prevalent thinking that cheeks are more likely on animals that chew food?

CARN0TAURUS

These guys don't appear to have cheeks, but the jaw muscles serve the same purpose much like how most theropod figures are modeled...

CARN0TAURUS

No cheeks here either :(  maybe cheeks are wrong for these types of animals...

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

So they've confirmed they're actually producing this as a figure? This isn't just one of then many 3D models they've made?

Lynx

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on November 18, 2022, 08:49:41 PMSo they've confirmed they're actually producing this as a figure? This isn't just one of then many 3D models they've made?

yes
An oversized house cat.

CARN0TAURUS

Any updates on facebook?  I'm not on there so if anyone could post them here that would be really nice :)

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SRF

It has been quite a while now (November last year) that Eofauna has shared any updates on their Tyrannosaurus model. I wonder if it got delayed due to the critical response the "T. imperator theory" has received.
But today, I'm just being father

Odobenocetops

This time last year Eofauna had already announced the Konobelodon and Diplodocus, despite they were not available until much later. So I'm not expecting much for this year...
Also... another TRex... I know they are expanding their ABC range but I'd expect sth more exotic. Let's hope at least that this is the definitive version.
Anyway, I think Eofauna dinos are not for me anymore, I collect only one figure of the major dino groups in 1:30-1:40 scale, and I cannot imagine any brand doing a accurate and good figure of the smallest species at that scale.

So, hoping for a good trunk!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: