News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pterosaurs / Ichthyosaur figures

Started by Odobenocetops, November 20, 2022, 08:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odobenocetops

Hi all!
I'm new here and just started collecting dinos.

I have a few 1:30-1:40 figures and just wanted to add some pterosaur representation (ok, no dino).
However, all the figures out there I find them rather ugly or not in the correct scale. Any recommendations?
Also, scientific accuracy is important here.

I'm having the same problem with ichthyosaur representation. I have some 1:40 and such marine reptiles but I cannot find a good ichthyo...

Remko

For scientifically accurate and scaled figures of pterosaurs an ichthyosaurs, 3d printed figures are probably the way to go.
There are a lot of offers nowadays, and they are getting cheaper to produce as well.

But there is another Ichthyosaur figure that's both affordable, accurate and properly scaled: Invicta Ichthyosaurus

Odobenocetops

Quote from: Remko on November 21, 2022, 06:56:58 AMFor scientifically accurate and scaled figures of pterosaurs an ichthyosaurs, 3d printed figures are probably the way to go.
There are a lot of offers nowadays, and they are getting cheaper to produce as well.

But there is another Ichthyosaur figure that's both affordable, accurate and properly scaled: Invicta Ichthyosaurus

Thanks!
Any suggestion for those 3d printed models?

Fembrogon

Quote from: Remko on November 21, 2022, 06:56:58 AMBut there is another Ichthyosaur figure that's both affordable, accurate and properly scaled: Invicta Ichthyosaurus
The Invicta is a lovely model for sure - but affordable?? It's been my impression that's one of the rarer Invicta models. Isn't it also quite large for 1:30-1:40?

Safari ltd. currently has a very good Ichthyosaurus in production at a low price; however I believe it too is scaled much larger.

Remko

Quote from: Fembrogon on November 21, 2022, 04:13:53 PM
Quote from: Remko on November 21, 2022, 06:56:58 AMBut there is another Ichthyosaur figure that's both affordable, accurate and properly scaled: Invicta Ichthyosaurus
The Invicta is a lovely model for sure - but affordable?? It's been my impression that's one of the rarer Invicta models. Isn't it also quite large for 1:30-1:40?

Safari ltd. currently has a very good Ichthyosaurus in production at a low price; however I believe it too is scaled much larger.

I don't know if it's rare, but there are currently three available on ebay, each for something from £14 to £24.
A lot cheaper than the Liopleurodon,which already has an asking price of £50 or more.

Remko

Quote from: KangaroaThanks!
Any suggestion for those 3d printed models?

Check out Shapeways.com for example.
Although you might want to search for specific species. There isn't a singular way people upload there items, and sometimes the spelling is wrong.

Or just go to Google and search for Ichthyosaurus figure.

dinofelid

For 3D printed pterosaurs, the Mesozoic Miniatures Quetzalcoatlus is 14.42 cm high, so at 1:35 scale it would 5.05 meters high, which matches pretty well with the standing height shown in this diagram.

For painted models, there's the Favorite Pteranodon (no longer in production, cheapest one I saw on eBay is here). Based on the crest it would appear to be the species formerly known as Pteranodon sternbergi but now reclassified as the new genus Geosternbergia. The model has a wingspan of around 17.5 cm which would be 6.1 meters at 1:35 scale, which is about in the middle of the size range quoted in the wikipedia article.

The Kaiyodo Pteranodon seems to be a male Pteranodon longiceps  based on the crest, and the model has a wingspan of about 12.3 cm, so 4.3 meters at 1:35, or 4.9 meters at 1:40. The page here says the average for an adult male of this species was about 5.6 meters, with the largest being about 6.25 meters, though they don't give a figure for the lower range for adult males. So for an average adult male the model would be closer to 1:45, but given the range of sizes of individuals in a population it could probably work as a small male somewhere at around 1:40 range, maybe too small for 1:35 though.

There is also the Takara Tomy Pteranodon which also seems to be a male Pteranodon longiceps, I don't own it so I can't measure it but the aliexpress page has a graphic indicating a wingspan of about 16 cm, which at 1:35 would match the average adult male size of 5.6 meters quoted above.

Wish someone would make a little model at this scale of one of the largest Jurassic pterosaurs, like Dearc or Sericipterus, so I could have a pterosaur in my shelf of 1:35ish Jurassic models.

Halichoeres

Pterosaurs are hard because except for a few taxa most would be minuscule at 1:30 - 1:40 scale. The Kaiyodo bottlecap Rhamphorhynchus is about 1:15 and...fits on a bottlecap.

Anyway here are my recommendations:
PNSO Eurhinosaurus, 1:30
Kaiyodo Dinotales Pteranodon, mentioned above. The CapsuleQ version is smaller.
Favorite Co Pteranodon/Geosternbergia, mentioned above
Cog Ltd Tropeognathus, 1:45
Kaiyodo Tapejara/Tupandactylus, 1:45
CollectA Temnodontosaurus and Excalibosaurus, both about 1:45
PNSO Himalayasaurus, about 1:45
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

jc_4130

FWIW I had similar desires for an accurate icthyosaur in this scale and rejected the PNSO offerings. Eurhinosaurus has significant shape errors and Himalayasaurus is based on very fragmentary information.  Frankly there seemed to be no good offering at a reasonable price, the best option being the over scale Safari Icthyosaurus.

dinofelid

There's a big list of Ichthyosaur figures here, and a lot of them have measurements. For example, the Kaiyodo Dinotales 2 Ichthyosaurus here is said on that page to have a length of 7.5 cm, at 1:35 scale that would correspond to 2.6 meters, which would fit with the size diagram of Ichthyosaurus communis here.

Also, a question for those knowledgeable about Ichthyosaur proportions: given that illustrations of Temnodontosaurus often make it look basically like a larger version of Ichthyosaurus, how inaccurate would it be to use a bigger Ichthyosaurus model, like the Bullyland one or the one from the Carnegie Collection, to stand for a Temnodontosaurus in the 1:30-1:40 scale range?

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Safari has a trio of decent options.
Their older "Pteranodon" sternbergi is in the 1:40 range, and if you take their unspecified "Pterosaur" as whatever ornithocheirid you want, then it can easily represent a 1:40 species. Their Quetzalcoatlus wouldn't quite represent a maximum sized individual at 1:40, but it's perfect if you don't mind it representing a smaller individual. I do believe it's slightly too large for the Hell Creek "Quetzalcoatlus sp.", but it might be 1:30, I haven't checked.

The Collecta "Quetzalcoatlus with Prey" is approximately the same size as the Safari version, if you want both a flying and walking version.

As for Ichthyosaurs, I like my Collecta Excalibosaurus. I'm also super excited for their Shastasaurus coming out next year, as well! It's not one of the mega-sized species, however, which may or may not belong to their own genus. Rather, this is the medium-sized type species, S. pacificus.

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 22, 2022, 02:32:44 PMKaiyodo Tapejara/Tupandactylus, 1:45

I also like this one.

Odobenocetops

Hi
Thanks everyone for the answers. Too much knowledge!

I finally took the CollectA excalibosaurus and use it as leptoneptes at 1:35 aprox as suggested in another post.

About the pterosaur, I have the Papo quetzalcoatlus. I got it in a naïve phase in which I found Papo figures super cool, before learning more about dinos and about how inaccurate Papo's are. I replaced most, but kept the quetzalcoatlus for now. However, I would like to add a smaller pterosaur species flying (for variety, only). And maybe replace the quetzalcoatlus for a more colorful and with extended neck one.

About the shastasaurus, I don't think I'll get that one. I prefer my big ichthyosaur to have the characteristic shape (hump, long "nose", ...) and not that more generic mosasaurus-shape (in a way). And I also rejected the PNSO Himalayasaurus for the same reason (and because of the poor fossil evidence)

dinofelid

Quote from: Kangaroa on December 16, 2022, 04:29:28 PMAbout the shastasaurus, I don't think I'll get that one. I prefer my big ichthyosaur to have the characteristic shape (hump, long "nose", ...) and not that more generic mosasaurus-shape (in a way). And I also rejected the PNSO Himalayasaurus for the same reason (and because of the poor fossil evidence)

Another option for a big ichthyosaur would be the Safari Ichthyosaurus standing in for Temnodontosaurus, it's about 19 cm long measured along a straight line (around 21 cm measured along the curves), and the "description" section of the wiki article on Temnodontosaurus also says that in one study, a particular fossil which was "assigned to T. trigonodon" was estimated to have "a preflexural length of 6.65 m ... indicating that the maximum body length of this specimen didn't exceed 6–7 m", so this model would seem to be about the right size for this species at 1:35.

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Blade-of-the-Moon

Someone really should make a nice big Shonisaurus..best one we have is Schleich.

dinofelid

Another pterosaur I came across that works reasonably well at 1:35 is the PNSO mini Guidraco, whose wingspan I measure to be 12.5 cm, so at 1:35 this would be 4.375 m or 14.35 feet, which fits with the range of 13-16 feet given in this article. The proportions aren't perfect since the model's head is about 1.8 cm which would be 63 cm at this scale, while the skull of the fossil was 38 cm long.

There's another small Guidraco model in the CollectA Prehistoric Tube C, that's slightly larger--the head is 2.5 cm which would be 88 cm at 1:35, and the wings are folded but the part extending from the hand to the tip is around 5 cm and the part from the hand to the middle of the back is around 3.2 cm, so at 1:35 it might have a wingspan of around 5.7 m. Looking around for larger members of Guidraco's group, the Anhangueridae, there's one called Caulkicephalus that had a wingspan of a little over 5 meters (though the scale bar on the skull diagram suggests a head only around 55 cm long, so again the model's head would be proportionally too big), and the shape of the crest isn't known so maybe you could imagine it looked more like Guidraco's than the reconstruction in the article, or that there was a difference between male and female crest shapes.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.