News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Top 10 Most Reviewed Genera on the DTB

Started by suspsy, February 03, 2019, 08:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

I'm speaking in terms of cultural influence. For example, plenty of folk besides Richard I took to naming themselves after the lion, but I can't think of many who named themselves after a spider.

As for how popular the lion is compared to the dolphin, I'd argue that the former still wins out. Flipper and the Miami Dolphins notwithstanding, I believe there's still more lion imagery out there than dolphin imagery.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 03, 2020, 07:01:22 PM
avatar_Tyto_Theropod @Tyto_Theropod : Welcome back. No hard feelings. Only maybe check the dates before you reply to comments; this was 11 months dormant.

This needless faff is clearly entirely my fault, then.  I cannot apologise enough.  I know that I for one have probably been far too preachy to be tolerable - having said which, I can honestly state that my intention was never to draw attention to this thread, attack avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres, and/or stir up drama.  At this point I wish I'd never posted and feel extremely guilty that I did.  This entire thing has now been blown way out of proportion and is doing nothing for the community spirit of the forum.  In short, PLEASE can we STOP.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

suspsy

Seeing as how it's 2021, I've updated the list. Not surprisingly, Tyrannosaurus rex remains in first place by a huge landslide, but Ankylosaurus got booted out of the top ten by a certain pair of synapsids!

suspsy

I've updated the list! Incidentally, while Velociraptor retains its third place status, it did not get a single new review in 2021! :o

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on January 01, 2022, 02:03:18 AM
I've updated the list! Incidentally, while Velociraptor retains its third place status, it did not get a single new review in 2021! :o

Not too surprising since most of the best Velociraptor toys have already been reviewed. There are plenty of Jurassic World ones but they aren't terribly popular around here.

Thanks for doing this list, your work is appreciated. Interesting stuff. Triceratops is so close to 100, I'll have to help it along.

Faelrin

Wow. I guess there could have been if I ever got around to reviewing the JW 2020 Legacy set, but I never did, because of depression mainly (other then frequent poor weather). To be honest I don't know when I'll get to it now that I've been back into working on my mods for Skyrim once again. I hope that with the upcoming movie it will help renew my interest and energy in working on reviews again. Well that and cooperative weather. Can't get decent pics unless it is sunny outside because I lack something as essential as bedroom lighting, and I swear most days this year it has been anything but around here.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

laticauda

Its close race between Stego and the raptor.  As a stegosaurus lover, I should take a close look at my figures.  There have to be a couple laying around here to help get stegos numbers up.

Gwangi

I feel like Brontosaurus and Apatosaurus should be lumped together. I don't know how many reviews are tagged as one or the other, or as both.

suspsy

Quote from: laticauda on January 01, 2022, 05:53:39 PM
Its close race between Stego and the raptor.  As a stegosaurus lover, I should take a close look at my figures.  There have to be a couple laying around here to help get stegos numbers up.

I'd like to see Stegosaurus take that spot, although personally, I don't have any such reviews planned for this year.

laticauda

Quote from: suspsy on January 03, 2022, 12:28:10 AM
Quote from: laticauda on January 01, 2022, 05:53:39 PM

I'd like to see Stegosaurus take that spot, although personally, I don't have any such reviews planned for this year.

Boosting numbers isn't a really good reason to do a review, but it could be a starting point that can lead to a review of something I haven't even thought of yet. 

suspsy

The list has been updated again! T. rex remains far, far in the lead, Triceratops is the second genus to break into the triple digits, and there were a lot of ties!

DinoToyForum

Thanks for updating this interesting list. The Jurassic Park influence is clear, although JP itself depicted many already popular well known dinosaurs, it definitely put some new species into the public consciousness. So, while T.rex, Triceratops, and Stegosaurus would probably be in this list regardless, we can surely thank JP for Velociraptor, Dilophosaurus, Brachiosaurus, and Spinosaurus being so popular. Given the strong influence of Jurassic Park it's a bit surprising that Gallimimus toys aren't ubiquitous and on this list.

suspsy

Well, we all know that T. rex would be in first place no matter what, and Triceratops would probably still be second, but one does wonder which genera would place after that.

Also, poor Ankylosaurus didn't receive a single new review in 2022. Hopefully that will change in 2023.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

That's more of a top 14 but who's counting. I wouldn't be surprised if "Velociraptor" overtook Triceratops eventually if enough Jurassic franchise toys are reviewed.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

suspsy

Well, a tie for a spot is a tie for a spot. Hopefully come 2024, the numbers will have changed significantly.

suspsy

And yeah, it's sad that Gallimimus hasn't received anywhere near as many toys as the rest of the JP cast. The stampede scene is probably the most iconic one in the entire franchise.

Get off your butts already, CollectA, PNSO, and Safari!

Fembrogon

I would have to assume people don't think ornithomimosaurs are, I dunno, "charismatic" enough to sell as well as the predators or giant herbivores. I would also like to see more ostrich dinos on the market, though.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Fembrogon on January 03, 2023, 03:30:46 PMI would have to assume people don't think ornithomimosaurs are, I dunno, "charismatic" enough to sell as well as the predators or giant herbivores. I would also like to see more ostrich dinos on the market, though.

There's a Marx one I've been meaning to review on the DinoToyBLog for some time now. I'll get to it eventually...

suspsy

Adam has kindly edited some of the announcement posts to no longer include genus names, so the list has been updated accordingly. The only real difference is that Pteranodon surged ahead of Parasaurolophus in the last two weeks.

suspsy

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: