News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Proboscideans in the same scale

Started by The Zoo Boy, April 15, 2021, 03:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zoo Boy

I posted this in the Animal Toy Forum but was encouraged to post here for more answers, so here I go!

As the title says, I've been looking for proboscideans like elephants and mammoths in the same scale. My issue is, I'm not sure they exist.

Using my Safari Ltd Wild Safari African Elephant as a base model, I've found that the Carnegie Woolly Mammoth and Safari American Mastodon, while in scale with each other, are too big for my elephant. Similarly, the Safari Woolly Mammoth and EoFauna Steppe Mammoth, while also in scale with each other, are too small for my elephant.

After seeing a fantastic review of ITOY's Paraceratherium on Dino Toy Blog by B @Bokisaurus that showed a bunch of rhino species, both extant and extinct, in scale with each other, I've been inspired to do the same with proboscideans. Anyone have any ideas? Not sure if the better way to go about this would be to purchase a new elephant to go in scale with my mammoth or vice versa.

Andreioli

Hello.

I'm using the Papo elephants that I've found to work well with other figures, thus:
- the small figure: https://www.papo-france.com/en/wild-animal-kingdom/390-african-elephant.html
for 1:40 / 1:35 scale (like Eofauna proboscideans )
- the large figure: https://www.papo-france.com/en/large-figurines/396-large-african-elephant.html
for 1:20 scale (like Safari Ltd proboscideans)

They are actually the same sculpt, just resized.

The Zoo Boy

Quote from: Andreioli on April 15, 2021, 06:59:02 PMI'm using the Papo elephants that I've found to work well with other figures.

Interesting, do you happen to have pictures of them with other proboscidean figures?

Andreioli

Quote from: The Zoo Boy on April 15, 2021, 07:53:11 PM
Quote from: Andreioli on April 15, 2021, 06:59:02 PMI'm using the Papo elephants that I've found to work well with other figures.

Interesting, do you happen to have pictures of them with other proboscidean figures?

Sorry, I don't have any photos right now, but you can check the measurements of the figures and compare.

Halichoeres

T @The Zoo Boy Have you tried browsing the proboscideans on the dinotoycollector site? Many of the figures have scale estimates. As with most scale estimates, take them with a grain of salt, but it could lead you to some new figures to consider. https://dinotoycollector.com/Browse/Browse.php?SubGr=Proboscidea
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

Quote from: The Zoo Boy on April 15, 2021, 03:07:25 PMI posted this in the Animal Toy Forum but was encouraged to post here for more answers, so here I go!

As the title says, I've been looking for proboscideans like elephants and mammoths in the same scale. My issue is, I'm not sure they exist.

Using my Safari Ltd Wild Safari African Elephant as a base model, I've found that the Carnegie Woolly Mammoth and Safari American Mastodon, while in scale with each other, are too big for my elephant. Similarly, the Safari Woolly Mammoth and EoFauna Steppe Mammoth, while also in scale with each other, are too small for my elephant.

After seeing a fantastic review of ITOY's Paraceratherium on Dino Toy Blog by B @Bokisaurus that showed a bunch of rhino species, both extant and extinct, in scale with each other, I've been inspired to do the same with proboscideans. Anyone have any ideas? Not sure if the better way to go about this would be to purchase a new elephant to go in scale with my mammoth or vice versa.
I'm in the same situation now, and I'm trying to find an African and an Asian elephant that scales well with my Eofauna 1/35 proboscidians. The Dino toy Collector site is of no help because it only deals with extinct ones. I'm considering the Papo African #50192 which lists at 16 cm long, which roughly scaled with a maximum 24 foot long specimen sits at 1/46, but with a 20 foot one sits at 1/38. On the other hand the Safari charging bull elephant at 19 cm long would give 1/38.
Any opinion or feedback on this conundrum? Any advise?

dinofelid

Quote from: SidB on January 18, 2023, 08:49:34 PM
Quote from: The Zoo Boy on April 15, 2021, 03:07:25 PMI posted this in the Animal Toy Forum but was encouraged to post here for more answers, so here I go!

I'm in the same situation now, and I'm trying to find an African and an Asian elephant that scales well with my Eofauna 1/35 proboscidians. The Dino toy Collector site is of no help because it only deals with extinct ones. I'm considering the Papo African #50192 which lists at 16 cm long, which roughly scaled with a maximum 24 foot long specimen sits at 1/46, but with a 20 foot one sits at 1/38. On the other hand the Safari charging bull elephant at 19 cm long would give 1/38.
Any opinion or feedback on this conundrum? Any advise?

Do you mean this Safari elephant or a different one? I'm not sure how elephant length is measured (do they include the tusks or the trunk or is it just to the front of the skull?), but this one is said to be 3.94 inches high (and the top of the head looks to be close to the height of the top of the shoulders), or 11.5 feet high if it were at 1:35, which is within the 11-13 foot range for the male shoulder height given in the "size" section of the wiki article.

SidB

That's the one, D @dinofelid , and I do believe that you're right to measure scale vertically rather than horizontally. One thing that I learnt last night during some research into the design of these animals was that it was (is) very common to scale elephants to 1/32 and less, excepting the head, which Schleich, for example , would scale to 1/20! We saw this sort of practice with the PNSO Corythosaurus, with its overly large head. Also, there are numerous inaccuracies across the board in most designs, of proportion, to the knowing eye (I'm no expert). Interestingly enough, Mojo and Papo came out better than the others, with Mojo in the lead as more accurate proportionately. Surprise to me. CollectA trailed the field, though their 2022 African elephant received high marks for detail. The newer Schleichs, though better proportioned than the old ones (too rotund), were criticized as overly textured.

Leyster

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Flaffy

Is it safe to assume that the CollectA 2022 African Elephant is the best representation of the species among the major companies?
(excluding the giant vinyls from PNSO and Kaiyodo)

SidB

Quote from: Leyster on January 19, 2023, 05:59:46 PMS @SidB you might find useful this great STS forum thread.
Yes, very interesting indeed, L @Leyster, particularly the ranking of the Mojo's at 7, 3,2 of 14. On the basis of the rationale of the ratings, I decided to order the newest Mojo Asian female and African male elephants from Minizoo. Thanks for the STS info, it was pretty decisive in shaping my decision.

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on January 19, 2023, 06:12:16 PMIs it safe to assume that the CollectA 2022 African Elephant is the best representation of the species among the major companies?
Referencing the STS thread from L @Leyster, above, where the Mojo's were rated very highly (#'s 7, 3,2 out of 14), I went with them. The CollectA is an interesting one - I was quite tempted to order it. It has a lot of "curb appeal" and is currently going for only 10 dollars (AUS), very inviting. Size wise, there's not a lot of difference among the models, which is good, but my sense from the thread was that the Mojos's have the best proportions. But I'm no expert, just decided to go with the STS input from the thread.

Leyster

S @SidB my pleasure, just keep in mind that as far as I remember the new Collecta one hasn't ended on that thread yet, so the ratings might change.

I personally really, really like the Eikoh one but, good luck with finding that! :'(
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on January 19, 2023, 06:12:16 PMIs it safe to assume that the CollectA 2022 African Elephant is the best representation of the species among the major companies?
Perhaps I'll pursue this one at some point, it looks very interesting. I wasn't planning to get a herd, but another one certainly wouldn't be out of the question, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy . Thanks for the input.

Flaffy

Yeah since I don't generally dabble in extant animals, I was awaiting the STS's judgement of the CollectA 2022 bull before deciding.

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on January 21, 2023, 12:54:13 PMYeah since I don't generally dabble in extant animals, I was awaiting the STS's judgement of the CollectA 2022 bull before deciding.
Likewise. Perhaps if I move out of my condo into a warehouse at some point, I might be tempted to expand my collections beyond certain lines of dinosaurs and related fauna and Cenozoic extinct animals. But, reflecting upon this, moderation and self-control seems wisest - I appreciate my favorite things when I don't overburden my senses with a surfeit or superabundance of them.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

There's an older thread about this already in the "Dinosaur Groups" section of the Dino Toy Forum. I just posted some pics of my TNG Stegodon there!
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1959.0

SidB

SidB

Quote from: SidB on January 20, 2023, 01:05:43 AM
Referencing the STS thread from L @Leyster, above, where the Mojo's were rated very highly (#'s 7, 3,2 out of 14), I went with them. The CollectA is an interesting one - I was quite tempted to order it. It has a lot of "curb appeal" and is currently going for only 10 dollars (AUS), very inviting. Size wise, there's not a lot of difference among the models, which is good, but my sense from the thread was that the Mojos's have the best proportions. But I'm no expert, just decided to go with the STS input from the thread.
Well, it didn't take too long for my order of extant elephants from Minizoo to arrive from Australia. (wish that I could say the same about my UK order from ED). Here are the 1/35ish Mojo's (African Bush Elephant and Asian Elephant) as recommended above. I'm really pleased with how well these scale with the extinct tuskers in my 1/35 scale Cenozoic figures. Here they are both individually and with their extinct counterparts. My thanks for the recommendations.

edu

Eofauna's Palaeoloxodon Antiquus vs Collecta's 2022 Loxodonta Africana.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: