News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Blade-of-the-Moon's Art

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, March 13, 2012, 06:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SidB on January 30, 2023, 03:27:44 AMWow, you must possess buckets of patience as well as persistence. I'm impressed!

less than one might imagine!  I have plowed through a lot of tv shows and movies ive been meaning to catchup on lol

Blade-of-the-Moon

This Majungasaurus is literally consuming my Apoxie Sculpt, so far he's 12lbs in...

SAbadshah

Use 1 inch squares on the original Hartman illustration and 1 foot squares on the scaled-up design after printing the image so that the skull measures exactly 6 inches in length. Or, for greater accuracy,.5 inch squares on the illustration's 6 inch length and.5 foot squares on the scaled drawing.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SAbadshah on February 02, 2023, 12:16:50 PMUse 1 inch squares on the original Hartman illustration and 1 foot squares on the scaled-up design after printing the image so that the skull measures exactly 6 inches in length. Or, for greater accuracy,.5 inch squares on the illustration's 6 inch length and.5 foot squares on the scaled drawing.

This guy is going to be around 16' long.

Fenestra

It looks fantastic so far. It has a nice, natural looking flow with all the different sized bumps and spikes.
It looks like a very precise, but tedious job to me.

...and then there is another side waiting for that same treatment...  :o

May the force be with you.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Fenestra on February 02, 2023, 08:20:27 PMIt looks fantastic so far. It has a nice, natural looking flow with all the different sized bumps and spikes.
It looks like a very precise, but tedious job to me.

...and then there is another side waiting for that same treatment...  :o

May the force be with you.

Thank you! I'm getting in around 4 hours a night, more when it's wet and cold here, which is pretty often now lol I actually hit my stride best at this scale thank goodness. If I had to do the entire beast though I might only make one a year!

BTW we are running a Valentines Day fundraiser for the park here : https://www.facebook.com/donate/940017243834296/10222184059566999/

Helps me afford things we need like foam and apoxie sculpt, I've also been selling things to help out too.

Blade-of-the-Moon

So..many..scales...  I think we're done until I get the eyes in. About 12lbs of Apoxie Sculpt here.

Top of the head shot, there is around 18 hours of work just in the Apoxie Sculpt here

Dinoxels

Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dinoxels on February 04, 2023, 04:56:14 PMNice!

Thanks!

Now I'm getting worried about putting it out in the park for people to break bits off..nature of the beast I guess.

Fenestra

Rig it with a mild electric current.  ;D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Fenestra on February 04, 2023, 07:29:41 PMRig it with a mild electric current.  ;D

I don't have power that far out in the woods or I just might ! lol

Kei

Beautiful works Blade - I absolutely adore your sculptures   ^-^  ^-^

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Kei on February 06, 2023, 10:47:07 AMBeautiful works Blade - I absolutely adore your sculptures   ^-^  ^-^

Thank you!  There was a member here awhile back that started me on this path with the Apoxie Sculpt, I need to look back and see it's been so long but they did some amazing work. I was very impressed.

Blade-of-the-Moon

The vinyl material I used for some of the dinosaurs in particular the orange material has issues holding paint over time. I've not found a great solution to this other than to resculpt Apoxie over the afflicted areas.  You can also see some teeth have been replaced where some have pulled them out for "souvenirs".

Blade-of-the-Moon

So..I'm having a few issues plotting out this Gallimimus design. I see a length of 16-20' and a height of 8', problem is no matter how I figure this out it's way bigger, like 11' tall?  I'm seeing human diagrams beside them and they say 6' to the hips.. well ok, cool,  but when  Iscale it I'm getting a 7 and a half foot man?  Any ideas?

HD-man

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 09, 2023, 03:51:17 AMYou can also see some teeth have been replaced where some have pulled them out for "souvenirs".

;) That's what happens when you make dinos w/probably-incorrectly-exposed teeth (JK, that's not why ppl do that, & even if it was, that wouldn't make it OK), which reminds me: A while back, you mentioned plans to put up some kind of fencing around your models; How's that coming along?
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: HD-man on February 12, 2023, 10:07:20 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 09, 2023, 03:51:17 AMYou can also see some teeth have been replaced where some have pulled them out for "souvenirs".

;) That's what happens when you make dinos w/probably-incorrectly-exposed teeth (JK, that's not why ppl do that, & even if it was, that wouldn't make it OK), which reminds me: A while back, you mentioned plans to put up some kind of fencing around your models; How's that coming along?

That would eliminate the issue on closed mouths, but any that are open.. lol

I've experimented with some different types of fencing, none have proven a 100% effective. Kids and adults still find ways over and through it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Started plotting out the Majunga

Trying for a different but stable pose . Still will require a tail support to tripod the entire thing.  I pulled the neck back into a bit of an "S" curve to make him look down maybe a bit curious at what's there ( spoiler it's people) .  Original skeletal is by Scott Hartman

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm guessing everyone approves of the neck design lol I was concerned maybe I wasn't making it long enough.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Revised diagram V3

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: