News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Toy Blog changes

Started by DinoToyForum, April 12, 2012, 01:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

And I just checked my drafts and when I click on the titles, there are no contents whatsoever.

EDIT: the preview buttons still show the reviews intact.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on March 05, 2023, 02:52:52 PMavatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum, I've got a review ready to post, pictures and links inserted and everything, and there's no option to publish it or even save a draft. I am also unable to tag the review or upload a featured image.  :-\

sounds kinda like that wierd thing that happened to us a while back. I dont seem to have the issue on ATB (yet...)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: suspsy on March 05, 2023, 03:43:08 PMAnd I just checked my drafts and when I click on the titles, there are no contents whatsoever.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's happened. The content is there (i.e. it's all on the front end) but it's just not showing up on the backend when you try to edit a draft or published post. I'm working on it...

DinoToyForum

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 05, 2023, 03:52:19 PM
Quote from: suspsy on March 05, 2023, 03:43:08 PMAnd I just checked my drafts and when I click on the titles, there are no contents whatsoever.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's happened. The content is there (i.e. it's all on the front end) but it's just not showing up on the backend when you try to edit a draft or published post. I'm working on it...

Phew, I think I fixed it. It was something to do with the new "Type" category I added. I must have messed something up because I removed that and we're back to normal...

Gwangi

Well, my review is gone. I'll have to go through and do it all again. Not sure if I'll get to it today.

suspsy

My drafts do appear to be working properly again, but that's a real kick in the face regarding Gwangi's review.  >:(

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on March 05, 2023, 04:12:33 PMWell, my review is gone. I'll have to go through and do it all again. Not sure if I'll get to it today.

Ohno! Are you sure there's no autosaved version?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 05, 2023, 05:11:50 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on March 05, 2023, 04:12:33 PMWell, my review is gone. I'll have to go through and do it all again. Not sure if I'll get to it today.

I don't see an autosave draft Gastonia post Gwangi, sorry :( I didn't delete any posts. I think what must've happened is we were working online simultaneously and that led to a glitch/conflict. You lost your post, I also lost all the new Type tags I'd just added and allocated. It sucks, but at least the blog is still up and running.  O:-)

Gwangi

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 05, 2023, 05:25:46 PM

I don't see an autosave draft Gastonia post Gwangi, sorry :( I didn't delete any posts. I think what must've happened is we were working online simultaneously and that led to a glitch/conflict. You lost your post, I also lost all the new Type tags I'd just added and allocated. It sucks, but at least the blog is still up and running.  O:-)

No worries, I have it saved on Word. I'm done with my errands for the day so I think I'll try to post it again. Thanks for fixing the blog, sorry about you also losing your work.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on March 05, 2023, 07:49:55 PM

No worries, I have it saved on Word. I'm done with my errands for the day so I think I'll try to post it again. Thanks for fixing the blog, sorry about you also losing your work.

Oh, I'm glad you had a local backup.

Gwangi

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 05, 2023, 08:03:35 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on March 05, 2023, 07:49:55 PM

Oh, I'm glad you had a local backup.

I always type them in Word and then copy and paste them when I want to publish.

suspsy

I sometimes type up my reviews before copying and pasting them to a draft, and sometimes I just write the whole thing as a draft. But I tend to be a compulsive saver, so I haven't lost a review yet!

DinoToyForum

I worked out what caused the glitch. "Type" happens to be a reserved Wordpress term, see:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Reserved_Terms

So, when I created the new "Type" category, it caused a hidden conflict with the Wordpress core. avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi just happened to be composing his review at the same time. Anyway, I can't use "type", so I think I'll use "Other category" instead, unless anyone has a better idea. I can't use just "category" because that's reserved too (default).

DinoToyForum

I tweaked the code to remove the empty coloured boxes that were appearing when no genus or classification tag was selected, e.g. in announcement posts.

DinoToyForum

I noticed, now that avatar_suspsy @suspsy is posting upcoming releases on the blog more regularly, the odd duplicate title:

https://dinotoyblog.com/upcoming-releases-from-mattel-new-for-2023/
https://dinotoyblog.com/upcoming-releases-from-mattel-new-for-2023-2/

There's a "2" at the end of the url but no difference in the page title. Should we reconsider how we title these upcoming releases posts?

Also, I believe the convention for announcements posts is to avoid allocating genus or classification tags, but we do allocate Brand tags. Is there a rationale behind this? Shouldn't we use them all or none at all? I have been looking into the possibility of creating a custom post type for Announcements with different rules to a typical post.

suspsy

Perhaps the easiest solution would be to add "Part _" to the end of each title. I can start doing that from now on.

As for tags, I do think it's helpful to indicate which company the announcement is for.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: suspsy on March 09, 2023, 04:40:18 PMPerhaps the easiest solution would be to add "Part _" to the end of each title. I can start doing that from now on.

As for tags, I do think it's helpful to indicate which company the announcement is for.

"Part _" works for me.

Re: tags. Sure. And is the genus tag excluded to make it easier to calculate the number of reviews per genus? It just seems odd, for example, that the "Utahraptor" tag isn't used on the Safari Ltd Utahraptor reveal.

suspsy

Yes, that was my reasoning. I figured that it might be confusing if we tagged genera in both reviews and announcements. It's nice to know that T. rex currently has 220 reviews to its name as opposed to some of those being announcements.

DinoToyForum

I've updated the "Explore" section of the blog with automated lists for most reviewed Brands, Dinosaurs (genus), and Groups (classification).

DinoToyForum

I've added new Age categories to the blog (colour-coded aqua-blue). You can also filter on age using the dropdown in the sidebar.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: