News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich - New for 2023

Started by Flaffy, July 30, 2022, 05:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

DinoFan2010

OOF. That is one ugly lime.

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Fembrogon

Some individual comparison shots for the Edmontosaurus, alongside other brands' versions:

With 2022 Collecta

With 2020 Safari

With 2020 Mattel

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Fembrogon on March 10, 2023, 05:10:17 PMSome individual comparison shots for the Edmontosaurus, alongside other brands' versions:

With 2022 Collecta

With 2020 Safari

With 2020 Mattel

You know it's bad when Mattel beats you
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

SidB

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on March 10, 2023, 07:16:42 PM
Quote from: Fembrogon on March 10, 2023, 05:10:17 PMSome individual comparison shots for the Edmontosaurus, alongside other brands' versions:

With 2022 Collecta

With 2020 Safari

With 2020 Mattel

I think that it's remarkable that, yet once again, a mediocre Schleich dino still attracts lots of attention - 31 votes already. This seems to be a common phenomenon. Why? There seems to a persistent residual interest in their products that defies their long term generation of disappointing outcomes. Maybe it's a memory of better days ... perhaps the very good production values juxtaposed against egregious design flaws?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Gwangi

Quote from: SidB on March 12, 2023, 08:11:36 PMI think that it's remarkable that, yet once again, a mediocre Schleich dino still attracts lots of attention - 31 votes already. This seems to be a common phenomenon. Why? There seems to a persistent residual interest in their products that defies their long term generation of disappointing outcomes. Maybe it's a memory of better days ... perhaps the very good production values juxtaposed against egregious design flaws?

I think it's remarkable that this figure has a 2.6 star rating. I gave it 1 star, I see no redeeming qualities about this figure.

Flaffy

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on March 10, 2023, 07:16:42 PM
Quote from: Fembrogon on March 10, 2023, 05:10:17 PMWith 2020 Mattel

Despite the polydactyly, Mattel's Edmontosaurus honestly isn't bad at all imo. Unless if you're a die-hard Schleich fan, I don't see how anyone can defend Schleich's Edmontosaurus.

Lynx

An oversized house cat.

Lynx

While I would never deny the figures various inaccuracies, there are quite a couple redeemable factors. The heavy inspiration from a really good color scheme results in the Schleich figure having a perfectly appealing one, possibly overtaking the inaccuracy on the feet.

Also, I'd like to mention that this figure actually takes recent studies into account with the scale, and while it should have hooves, it is something to take into account. The pose really isn't that horrible, and personally, I prefer it over the CollectA. It is dynamic and well done.

The color scheme and paint application also isn't too bad compared to other releases, dare I say even better than some other edmontosaurus figures.

While the head itself has issues accuracy wise, the sculpt has a clear amount of care, and the detail on the crest is very crisp.

At the good looking angles of the figurine, it radiates with a clear sense of power, while not in some overly active or unnatural pose. The detail is also really good but doesn't stick out too much, while is accurate for such a large animal.

Again, the lack of bulk on the neck is awkward but becomes less noticeable when you take into account the other degrees of the figure.

I love Schleich with all my heart, but it was very hard to find things to give them credit for with this Edmontosaurus, dear lord.
An oversized house cat.

Eatmycar

Look, I don't think the figure is *perfect*, but people act like its a cheap Chinasaur with googly eyeys and toxic paint. Honestly the flak against it makes it kind of endearing in its own way? I know that sounds odd, but it's not an abomination.

Lynx

Quote from: Eatmycar on March 13, 2023, 03:39:18 PMLook, I don't think the figure is *perfect*, but people act like its a cheap Chinasaur with googly eyeys and toxic paint. Honestly the flak against it makes it kind of endearing in its own way? I know that sounds odd, but it's not an abomination.

I agree honestly. Without pictures, I would assume it would be something like the Acrocanthosaurus or what-not.
I will be blatant, despite the figure ignoring some of the more recent studies, it isn't absolutely horrible. In my opinion, it's one of the better releases as of late, for reasons I stated before.
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

Also, somehow the Schleich Replicasaurus Ceratosaurus is going strong despite being one of the company's worst figures. 4.1 stars! That's more than most of their modern releases
An oversized house cat.

Eatmycar

I feel a lot of retro figures get way too much of a pass, frankly.

Some, frankly, ghastly things are praised and their paleoinaccuracy is just ignored, or just viewed as part of the charm. Meanwhile small discrepancies on modern figures are reasons to just badmouth and bash them. I don't get it.

CityRaptor

You know, I think you are right. The Schleich Replica Saurus Ceratosaurus has always been

Same with several other Retro Figures that also have been bad when first released.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

Quote from: Eatmycar on March 13, 2023, 04:04:19 PMI feel a lot of retro figures get way too much of a pass, frankly.

Some, frankly, ghastly things are praised and their paleoinaccuracy is just ignored, or just viewed as part of the charm. Meanwhile small discrepancies on modern figures are reasons to just badmouth and bash them. I don't get it.

That's exactly how I feel about this Edmontosaurus. And like you, I just don't get it.

It isn't just that the feet are wrong, just about everything is wrong. These are not small discrepancies plaguing this toy. Let's see... it has what appear to be two ankle joints, an oddly pinched torso, small head, a neck that's too long and slender, and fine detail work that is nothing more than cracked skin, even though we have actual Edmontosaurus skin impressions. The only thing this figure appears to get right are the comb on the head and the general body shape of an ornithopod. It's only possible redeeming feature is the paint job, which is "inspired" from another source. We know Schleich can do better, they did better with their Gastonia, so this toy just comes across as lazy. I would honestly prefer a google-eyed Cheaposaur to this thing, because at least that wouldn't cost $25!

Schleich's Edmontosaurus from 1997 is better than this one.

SidB

Quote from: Gwangi on March 13, 2023, 04:20:43 PM
Quote from: Eatmycar on March 13, 2023, 04:04:19 PMI feel a lot of retro figures get way too much of a pass, frankly.

That's exactly how I feel about this Edmontosaurus. And like you, I just don't get it.

It isn't just that the feet are wrong, just about everything is wrong. These are not small discrepancies plaguing this toy. Let's see... it has what appear to be two ankle joints, an oddly pinched torso, small head, a neck that's too long and slender, and fine detail work that is nothing more than cracked skin, even though we have actual Edmontosaurus skin impressions. The only thing this figure appears to get right are the comb on the head and the general body shape of an ornithopod. It's only possible redeeming feature is the paint job, which is "inspired" from another source. We know Schleich can do better, they did better with their Gastonia, so this toy just comes across as lazy. I would honestly prefer a google-eyed Cheaposaur to this thing, because at least that wouldn't cost $25!

Schleich's Edmontosaurus from 1997 is better than this one.

Ah, the good ole days!  I distinctly remember picking up a bag at Value Village in Toronto, circa 2012, for $2.99, containing the Schleich Replicasaurs Edmontosaurus, Corythosaurus and the original Parasaurolophus. Being largely ignorant of Hadrosaur morphology back then, I was over the moon. Mind you, I still have them, and I DO like the original Edmonto more than this rendition.

Gwangi

I have that old Edmontosaurus too S @SidB and have no plans to ever part with it. It's one of Schleich's best figures from that time period. I also like the Corythosaurus too but I don't have it. Beautiful head sculpt on that one.

SidB

Quote from: Gwangi on March 13, 2023, 07:05:12 PMI have that old Edmontosaurus too S @SidB and have no plans to ever part with it. It's one of Schleich's best figures from that time period. I also like the Corythosaurus too but I don't have it. Beautiful head sculpt on that one.
Ah, I used to have a second Corythosaurus, would send it to you if I still had it.

CityRaptor

Coming in July: Dakotaraptor
https://www.techmania.ch/de/product/schleich-track-vehicle-30278038
Easily their best Raptor yet...which isn't saying much. And of course it is packed with stupid vehicle and even worse Colby.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

PrimevalRaptor

If we give them five more years they may finally release a dromaeosaur with proper wings  O:-)
Colors remind me of the Replica-Saurus days, the gradient is nice but for that price you could do better I think (also god I wish they'd release those guys outside of the sets, the pterosaurs last year were pretty decent for Schleich, especially the Tapejara)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: