News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich - New for 2023

Started by Flaffy, July 30, 2022, 05:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

I defend this company with my life and yet I still gotta admit, that Gallimimus is not great.
An oversized house cat.

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 10, 2023, 07:44:06 PM
Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on December 28, 2022, 12:52:32 AMAgreed on the Gallimimus, I really don't know what they were thinking there. It's such a big shame cause this is the first proper Gallimimus in AGES (I'm still sticking with my AAA one) and then they just put some weird mittens on there and called it a day.

Speaking of sticking, part of the reason I still plan to replace my AAA is that the plastic is quite degraded and sticky, so it's become very unpleasant to handle.
Wow, just imagine a generation of young children having handled AAA figures. Scary. At the very least, Schleich isn't guilty of this offence, as far as I know.

CityRaptor

Eh don't be so sure.
My Replica Saurus Parasaurolophus got sticky.

Also the Shadow/Black T.rex? Saw several of them in a store and they all were feeling sticky. Probably explains why they were on discount.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

Any brand gets sticky if stored in the sun, I think. Lots of figures I've gotten second hand suffer from the affliction.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Prehistory Resurrection

Blade-of-the-Moon

That neck looks pretty..long?

GojiraGuy1954

Schleich's funniest figure
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

GiganotosaurusFan

Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Schleich's funniest..now there's a competition..

Eatmycar

I'm well aware Schleich isn't *perfect*, but the lack of a hoof for the Edmontosaurus' forelimbs is really disappointing.

SidB

Quote from: Eatmycar on January 16, 2023, 08:03:52 AMI'm well aware Schleich isn't *perfect*, but the lack of a hoof for the Edmontosaurus' forelimbs is really disappointing.
Whether a hoof or, alternatively, a single large 'nail' as has been proposed, this type of omission has long been an unfortunate Schleich trademark. Another example is their ongoing failure to get the ceratopsian manus correct (3 nailed toes in weightbearing contact with the ground, 2 nailess ones not touching). Seems to be a stubborn refusal to do anything more than the most minimal homework.

Lynx

An oversized house cat.

Flaffy

God it looks horrendous. I don't  know how anyone can excuse those proportions and especially the ungilitigrade feet.

Lynx

Of course accuracy wise it's terrible, I'm used to it. I have the Safari LTD Edmontosaurus as my accuracy figure, so now I'll be getting this one as my 'eye pleasing' one. The colors look nice, so that's about enough to convince me to purchase it. Don't know what people really expected from Schleich, especially since they don't seem to have a very good record when it comes to hadrosaurs (the Parasaurolophus should have been a dead giveaway as to what to expect.) All I'm saying is look-wise, it doesn't seem too bad. I'm a kid who still plays with their dinosaur figures, thus I probably care less about proportions and more about 'is it cool?'

None of what I have said excuses some pretty obvious mistakes, but all I'm saying is to keep your hopes very low and don't expect much from this company. If it's as bad as this figure, you won't be surprised, and if it's really good, then that's gonna be a great day for you.
An oversized house cat.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Lynx on January 16, 2023, 03:29:10 PMOf course accuracy wise it's terrible, I'm used to it. I have the Safari LTD Edmontosaurus as my accuracy figure, so now I'll be getting this one as my 'eye pleasing' one. The colors look nice, so that's about enough to convince me to purchase it. Don't know what people really expected from Schleich, especially since they don't seem to have a very good record when it comes to hadrosaurs (the Parasaurolophus should have been a dead giveaway as to what to expect.) All I'm saying is look-wise, it doesn't seem too bad. I'm a kid who still plays with their dinosaur figures, thus I probably care less about proportions and more about 'is it cool?'

None of what I have said excuses some pretty obvious mistakes, but all I'm saying is to keep your hopes very low and don't expect much from this company. If it's as bad as this figure, you won't be surprised, and if it's really good, then that's gonna be a great day for you.

That's true. Their last mosasaur did make a good sea monster though.

Andysdinosaurreviews

I don't ever look at Schleich as far as accuracy anymore. That's just something that's non-existent in their line for the most part. I feel like when they actually get stuff accurate it's almost an accident. I look at Schleich dinosaurs as having their own world of dinosaurs in their own style. Similar to how Chap Mei has dino valley in which they basically get to make whatever weird stylized dinosaur they want and it's okay because it's their own world of dinosaurs. Obviously Schleich and Chap Mei are very different style figures but the overall presentation and the way they create their figures feels very similar. It's strange that Schleich is like that though when their animal figures are so good and usually really quite accurate to the real animal, but their dinosaurs are always very stylized and different from what you would expect. I still really quite like the Schleich line and how their dinosaurs are usually stylized but I will say that it is very strange the way they go about creating them. I just stopped looking at them as far as accuracy a very long time ago and now just look at them as far as being very stylized versions of dinosaurs.

SidB

Andy makes a good point here. Schleich, accuracy and borderline unethical marketing practices aside, succeeds BECAUSE of its readily identifiable stylization. Occasionally they make a fairly accurate piece or sometimes  rarely,a quite accurate one, but that's beside the point.

Schleich succeeds because of:
1) unique stylization that gives them brand recognition, a recognition stretching back to their old Replicasaurus era
2) aggressive marketing tactics
3) real durability when played with by their primary target audience- kids.

Yes, Schleich succeeds at their own game. It's just that it only partially overlaps with our hobby as collectors. They can be enjoyed and even appreciated as long as accuracy is not paramount, IMO.

Andysdinosaurreviews

Quote from: SidB on January 16, 2023, 06:34:31 PMAndy makes a good point here. Schleich, accuracy and borderline unethical marketing practices aside, succeeds BECAUSE of its readily identifiable stylization. Occasionally they make a fairly accurate piece or sometimes  rarely,a quite accurate one, but that's beside the point.

Schleich succeeds because of:
1) unique stylization that gives them brand recognition, a recognition stretching back to their old Replicasaurus era
2) aggressive marketing tactics
3) real durability when played with by their primary target audience- kids.

Yes, Schleich succeeds at their own game. It's just that it only partially overlaps with our hobby as collectors. They can be enjoyed and even appreciated as long as accuracy is not paramount, IMO.
Perfectly said!

Prehistory Resurrection

SidB

It's a Schleich theropod, really, what more does one actually need to say. However, I'll agree with Andy that the execution of the paint is quite nice, except for the eyes.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: