News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renecito

Quote from: SRF on March 30, 2023, 03:48:06 PMI don't agree with others that the only decent Tyrannosaurs from PNSO are the Zhuchengtyrannus and the Yutyrannus. Every figure PNSO has released in the last few years is "decent" to say the least. Some (I would even say most) of them are very good or even great.

Yes, "Decent" is a word I would use for Schleich.
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on March 29, 2023, 10:49:34 PMIf I'm remembering right from posts in the controversial opinions thread, Andrea's leg is fine.  And the Tarbosaurus doesn't have feet that are too big.
the Tarbosaurus is genuinely PNSO's worst ever release
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Bread on March 30, 2023, 12:37:26 PMI am usually the one to not dislike simplistic poses; if anything I encourage them. However, I find it too boring and lazy for PNSO to produce two therapods, part of the same family, that have nearly exact same poses. Otherwise I do consider these two to be their best therapods.
I get it being boring, but how is it lazy? These 2 sculpts are just as unique from one another as any other PNSO model. No parts are reused.

Sim

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on March 30, 2023, 06:08:37 PM
Quote from: Sim on March 29, 2023, 10:49:34 PMIf I'm remembering right from posts in the controversial opinions thread, Andrea's leg is fine.  And the Tarbosaurus doesn't have feet that are too big.
No, it really isn't.  It's painted better than (some of?) PNSO's minis and it's sculpted better than e.g. PNSO's newest Wilson with its oversized scales and crocodile mouth.  It's also more accurate than e.g. PNSO's Microraptor.  So it's objectively superior to a number of PNSO's releases.  That's a fact.  As for an opinion, the Tarbosaurus is one of PNSO's best releases, being voted number one in this forum's top 10 figures of 2021 poll.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on March 30, 2023, 06:41:57 PM
No, it really isn't.  It's painted better than (some of?) PNSO's minis and it's sculpted better than e.g. PNSO's newest Wilson with its oversized scales and crocodile mouth.  It's also more accurate than e.g. PNSO's Microraptor.  So it's objectively superior to a number of PNSO's releases.  That's a fact.  As for an opinion, the Tarbosaurus is one of PNSO's best releases, being voted number one in this forum's top 10 figures of 2021 poll.
2021 was a slow year

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Sim on March 30, 2023, 03:52:12 PM
Quote from: imnewhere on March 30, 2023, 01:55:11 AM

can you link that if its not to much trouble id like to read up on that

It's spread over several pages, starting here: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6880.1560
Thanks ill give it a read

Sim

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on March 30, 2023, 06:43:58 PM
2021 was a slow year
Not really.

SRF

2021 was a slow year

PNSO released 24 figures in 2021. Among them were some great figures, like the Yutyrannus that you find at least decent. How is that a slow year?
But today, I'm just being father

Stegotyranno420

2021 was one of their best years.
No, everything during and after late 2020 was their best. They have become my favorite manufacturer now :)

Eatmycar

I don't care for PNSO's products, but the Tarbosaurus is a bizarre choice to try and dunk on. Its exceptionally well detailed, well built, and has a very well done paint scheme. Hell, it looks like it has dirt and sand caked between the rolls of fat on it and it doesn't seem to need a stand!

How on earth is that a boring figure? I can see the case being made for Pinacosaurus or Centrosaurus maybe, but Tarbosaurus is an exceptional piece and I'm not even a fan of PNSO's products.

Corythosaurus is, hands down, their worst release because it's a bobble-headed mess that can barely stand.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: SRF on March 30, 2023, 06:53:47 PM
2021 was a slow year

PNSO released 24 figures in 2021. Among them were some great figures, like the Yutyrannus that you find at least decent. How is that a slow year?
I mean for everybody that wasnt PNSO, CollectA or Mattel

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Eatmycar on March 30, 2023, 07:33:47 PMI don't care for PNSO's products, but the Tarbosaurus is a bizarre choice to try and dunk on. Its exceptionally well detailed, well built, and has a very well done paint scheme. Hell, it looks like it has dirt and sand caked between the rolls of fat on it and it doesn't seem to need a stand!

How on earth is that a boring figure? I can see the case being made for Pinacosaurus or Centrosaurus maybe, but Tarbosaurus is an exceptional piece and I'm not even a fan of PNSO's products.

Corythosaurus is, hands down, their worst release because it's a bobble-headed mess that can barely stand.
It's a Cotylorhynchus in Tyrannosaur form

Sim

Thanks for the photos avatar_Faras @Faras! :)  Your Mapusaurus looks great, as does your 2023 Giganotosaurus!  I hope PNSO doesn't make any other allosauroids this year though.

I noticed the Mapusaurus is coloured in a way that is reminiscent of earth.  It's a nice feature as Mapusaurus means "earth lizard".  I wonder if PNSO made an Erythrosuchus (meaning red crocodile) would they make it red?

Bread

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on March 30, 2023, 06:12:05 PM
Quote from: Bread on March 30, 2023, 12:37:26 PMI am usually the one to not dislike simplistic poses; if anything I encourage them. However, I find it too boring and lazy for PNSO to produce two therapods, part of the same family, that have nearly exact same poses. Otherwise I do consider these two to be their best therapods.
I get it being boring, but how is it lazy? These 2 sculpts are just as unique from one another as any other PNSO model. No parts are reused.
Not as in lazy as just a copy and paste of some parts of the mold, lazy as in effort and creativity.

As others have been mentioning, another great example of a PNSO therapod is their Zhuchengtyrannus. The posture and lifted foot is different.

Why create an exact pose and posture of two similar looking types of therapods? I'd much prefer something more creative and different. This just gives us collectors a decision between the two models since they're similar enough to only have one, instead of acquiring both.

Bread

Also, I am curious to PNSO's next direction with therapods. A paper on therapod lips has just been made public. Seems like a majority of these therapods now have a blatant issue.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Sim on March 30, 2023, 10:19:05 PMThanks for the photos avatar_Faras @Faras! :)  Your Mapusaurus looks great, as does your 2023 Giganotosaurus!  I hope PNSO doesn't make any other allosauroids this year though.

I noticed the Mapusaurus is coloured in a way that is reminiscent of earth.  It's a nice feature as Mapusaurus means "earth lizard".  I wonder if PNSO made an Erythrosuchus (meaning red crocodile) would they make it red?
That is why I am not a fan of naming animals after colors when we don't know them. Now I am only going to accept red Erythrosuchi

LBDINO

If you guys thought pnso had done a lot of carnivores that last couple years wait until next year when they have to redue all of them with lips now lol

Eatmycar

I wouldn't be shocked at a redo, but the results of this paper won't show immediately I'm sure. Maybe by the summer?

I feel bad for PNSO's sculptors though...  :-[

SidB

Quote from: LBDINO on March 31, 2023, 12:23:38 AMIf you guys thought pnso had done a lot of carnivores that last couple years wait until next year when they have to redue all of them with lips now lol
Not sure if I'd hold my breath.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Paleo Flo on March 30, 2023, 06:09:59 AM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on March 29, 2023, 10:57:40 PM

Love this pose, almost like lunging to catch something...the scheme is so pleasant too...fantastic!

Indeed the best of the last three Carchas!

I have a beautiful book called "The Paleoart of Julius Csotonyi" written by Julius Csotonyi and Steve White

This lunging Mapusaurus reminds me of one of Csotonyi's illustrations on page 83, the pose is almost a direct copy from PNSO, except Csotonyi's is a Giganotosaurus and has the front leg off the ground frozen in motion as it steps forward...the patterns on the scheme are different but the even the color choices are similar...

If anyone has the book just open it to page 83 and see for yourselves...I'm not criticizing PNSO, I think every company should draw inspiration from paleo artists when making their figures...it's a crying shame that it hasn't been standard industry practice to make figures this way...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: