News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artteacher513

Photo of the toy

I have no idea what dinosaur this is. It's in my class's dinosaur toy set and I want to provide info for the kids, but I'm not sure where to begin. Anyone have any ideas?

BlueKrono

Quote from: artteacher513 on April 17, 2023, 12:19:01 AMI have no idea what dinosaur this is. It's in my class's dinosaur toy set and I want to provide info for the kids, but I'm not sure where to begin. Anyone have any ideas?
I don't have it myself, but I hear Google Lens can be helpful for IDs.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

ceratopsian

The thumb spike suggests an Iguanodon to me, in a very vintage style.  But it looks a bit toothy!  I'm not a vintage collector and can't identify this particular brand.

artteacher513

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 17, 2023, 07:24:20 AM
Quote from: artteacher513 on April 17, 2023, 12:19:01 AMI have no idea what dinosaur this is. It's in my class's dinosaur toy set and I want to provide info for the kids, but I'm not sure where to begin. Anyone have any ideas?
I don't have it myself, but I hear Google Lens can be helpful for IDs.

Ahhhh thank you so much! I used Google Lens and it turns out it's an allosaurus by Dolgen!

artteacher513

Quote from: ceratopsian on April 17, 2023, 12:22:27 PMThe thumb spike suggests an Iguanodon to me, in a very vintage style.  But it looks a bit toothy!  I'm not a vintage collector and can't identify this particular brand.

I thought it might be an iguanodon too, but the teeth threw me as well. Turns out it's an allosaurus by Dolgen, in case you were curious!

ceratopsian

Thank you!  It's a very curious mixture of traits.

Quote from: artteacher513 on April 17, 2023, 03:28:47 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on April 17, 2023, 12:22:27 PMThe thumb spike suggests an Iguanodon to me, in a very vintage style.  But it looks a bit toothy!  I'm not a vintage collector and can't identify this particular brand.

I thought it might be an iguanodon too, but the teeth threw me as well. Turns out it's an allosaurus by Dolgen, in case you were curious!

Dame Aelis

Hi everyone,
Those two came in a lot, they look like Starlux but they are not stamped, and I can't remenbered if Starlux stamped their product. Could they be genuine? Or copy?

Those minis pops often in lot on second hand site, and they are a little bit "too good" for unbranded minis. i think they are from the same brand, as they tend to come together and seems to share a same general style. Could somenone identify their origin? I'm almost sure there was a Smilodon with them, but I can't find it in my mess :p

BlueKrono

avatar_Dame Aelis @Dame Aelis Looks like you have some Wai Phong toys there. One is referenced in Dr. Adam's compendium here:
https://plesiosauria.com/pop-culture/toys/

And I think those Starlux are legit. They did not have any markings on them. If you'd consider selling any of the Wai Phongs I'd be interested in two of them.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Libraraptor

Yeah, I think those Starlux are legit, too. They did not hold any markings or stamps.

Dame Aelis

Thank you for your answers.

BlueKrono, I sent you a pm :)

BrontoScorpio

Can anyone identify this Resin kit for me ?

widukind

Does anybody knows that dinosaur figure?

If not, so it could be a small figure from Kleinwelka. This figure is not marked. But sculpt, colour and material are very similar to this Iguanodon that i own. And i got the figure from the same person

https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Kleinwelka_Iguanodon

Halichoeres

Huh, that doesn't match any Kleinwelka I've ever seen. Is it a hard plastic W @widukind or more pliable?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CityRaptor

It's a Kellogg's figure. Came for free in their cereals.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Libraraptor

Quote from: widukind on June 04, 2023, 10:03:02 AMDoes anybody knows that dinosaur figure?

If not, so it could be a small figure from Kleinwelka. This figure is not marked. But sculpt, colour and material are very similar to this Iguanodon that i own. And i got the figure from the same person

https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Kleinwelka_Iguanodon

That is without doubt the grey version of the Kleinwelka Iguanodon, albeit a little worn away. Far too big for a KellogĀ“s figure, and it has the distinctive spiky hands.

Halichoeres

avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor the one in the link, yes, but the one in the photo next to the Lego brick is a Kellogg's figure as avatar_CityRaptor @CityRaptor suggests. I wasn't familiar with it before, but now that I know what to look for Joe DeMarco's Dinosauriana confirms:

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BrontoScorpio

Definitely Kellogg's - Here is the complete set .

widukind

Many many thanks - it is very helpful.

Libraraptor

Ah yes I see, sorry, the picture with the Kellog's figure and the LEGO brick had for some reason not been shown.

CityRaptor

Could be related to the browser you are using.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: