News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medzo

I'm not against completing the list of known carcharodontosaurids, I just question the marketing plan behind releasing them after each other.

I myself completely feel satisfied just with Lucas since I was waiting for a reimplementation for a long time. I'd been more hooked if Meraxes and Mapu would have been released in half a year later or something like that, when they feel more of a fresh take on the group.

Honestly I'm still waiting on a retake of Wilson and Essien before we get any new genus.  ::)

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Medzo on April 20, 2023, 09:13:57 AMI'm not against completing the list of known carcharodontosaurids, I just question the marketing plan behind releasing them after each other.

I myself completely feel satisfied just with Lucas since I was waiting for a reimplementation for a long time. I'd been more hooked if Meraxes and Mapu would have been released in half a year later or something like that, when they feel more of a fresh take on the group.

Honestly I'm still waiting on a retake of Wilson and Essien before we get any new genus.  ::)

wilson i know is pretty slammed but personally i could live another few years with V3 , its really overhated and what they would improve we basicly saw in Andrea. it still prob wont have lips or feathers since pnso clings to that.

Essien though oh please in 1: 35 im willing to spend, the new one is good but just small.

Medzo

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 20, 2023, 09:23:39 AMwilson i know is pretty slammed but personally i could live another few years with V3 , its really overhated and what they would improve we basicly saw in Andrea. it still prob wont have lips or feathers since pnso clings to that.

Essien though oh please in 1: 35 im willing to spend, the new one is good but just small.

I personally don't mind either lip or lipless representations. The thing I don't like about Wilson is the pose and skin. Andrea is just a more refined version.

But if PNSO would suddenly change to lips that'd cause a big stir, because the thing I absolutely hate is the scale difference and representation difference in my collection. So we'd have to collect again most of our theropods.

Also I'm not sure how the second market value of our current ones would change after that.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Medzo on April 20, 2023, 10:11:12 AM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 20, 2023, 09:23:39 AMwilson i know is pretty slammed but personally i could live another few years with V3 , its really overhated and what they would improve we basicly saw in Andrea. it still prob wont have lips or feathers since pnso clings to that.

I personally don't mind either lip or lipless representations. The thing I don't like about Wilson is the pose and skin. Andrea is just a more refined version.

But if PNSO would suddenly change to lips that'd cause a big stir, because the thing I absolutely hate is the scale difference and representation difference in my collection. So we'd have to collect again most of our theropods.

Also I'm not sure how the second market value of our current ones would change after that.

idk again i get its all opinions and all but to me the skin isnt nearly as bad as people say, i have all modern theropods displayed and wilson barely is noticed by normal people unless u point the bigger than scale-scales out, hes imposing and absolutely gorgeos in photos due to them though. keep in mind just a few years ago we had almost 0 scientificly accurate figures at all unless u buy resin. now we have enough we can even choose.

the pose im a bit confused why u dont like it, its a good static pose that shows him off well , it makes sense to be conservative on your big moneymaker T-rex and its def scientificly possible. i also have a hard time finding space for poses like andreas, shelfspace is limited so walking theropods can be a blessing .

still ofc wouldnt mind a new wilson , just feel he wont be " definitive " anyway due to pnsos personal quirks so why bother, rebor made a good one and eofaunas is on the way and it got lips and feathery integument.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Bread on April 20, 2023, 12:44:08 AM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on April 19, 2023, 10:27:36 PMI guess it depends on the person. I dont have anything against Carcharodontosaurids, but i think we all can agree that we had a good amount.

Also, someone with all the Carcharodontosaurids, which one has the most fine detail? And is the Mapusaurus a stable durable? figure

Funny enough, I actually think we could use another. Concavenator
Hopefully with lips...

I'd say the Meraxes is the best of the bunch. Personally I find the coloration and just overall stance of the model to be impressive and puts a sort of "being dominant" presence on your shelf.

As avatar_TheImmortalEye @TheImmortalEye had said, all should be using their support rod. I've seen everyone state that all these Carcharodontosaurs do not stay stable. Also welcome to the forum TheImmortalEye!

i feel like the reason they did giga, then meraxes and now mapu is the new skull reconstruction based on meraxes and them maximising the model ( just change some things and ready) so Tyrannotitan seems likely if they do decide another.

concavenator has a skull and is well known ,so prob will take a bit, that dinosaur honestly baffles me. i feel like that weird hump has to look diff than how its reconstructed always, its so needlessly sharp always and serves no real purpose i can see, maybe it was more rounded hump? idk much about concavi but hes cool.

Medzo

Quotethe pose im a bit confused why u dont like it, its a good static pose that shows him off well , it makes sense to be conservative on your big moneymaker T-rex and its def scientificly possible. i also have a hard time finding space for poses like andreas, shelfspace is limited so walking theropods can be a blessing .

I don't mind the pose, just don't want it on the definitive T-rex. It makes its presence somewhat shorter, makes it feel smaller. For example I like Meraxes' stance very much and for but for Lucas I prefer the very generic one so it can be compared to other theropods.

My favorite stance is what Zhuchengtyrannus has without a doubt. Wilson should have had that and the Zucheng one could have some other one.

All in all I like the "boring" standard poses for the flagship figures as I take these models as scientific representations which can be compared to each other, rather than toys or display models.

But I do keep them in the boxes, which are then stored on the shelf and only one or two of them is displayed at a time. So maybe I'm a niche user in this matter.

TheImmortalEye

[/quote]But I do keep them in the boxes, which are then stored on the shelf and only one or two of them is displayed at a time. So maybe I'm a niche user in this matter.
[/quote]

i can understand that , it does shorten wilson esp for sizecomparisons, if they do revise him i agree he should basicly t pose like giga , would also make the versions more unique and work well with "nanotyrannus". i have a long shelf so slight deviations make them more appealing there.

Eofaunas soon might be as "definitive" as it can get,even gets a base unless they botch the paintjob at the finishline.https://scontent-dus1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/334421707_2159912697545255_6427894705612652016_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=QJEVj9bgWAgAX_GxCdD&_nc_ht=scontent-dus1-1.xx&oh=00_AfD71HGa5HO8B1UwA50XvMCpy5reYCuienuozUEl3Y1gow&oe=644591D7

Sim

Quote from: Bread on April 20, 2023, 12:44:08 AMFunny enough, I actually think we could use another. Concavenator
Hopefully with lips...
Concavenator could be interesting.  I have some dislike for that species, but if PNSO made a nice model of it, perhaps my feelings towards it would change.  That's what happened with Corythosaurus.  If PNSO made a Concavenator I would like it to be feathered.

Bread

Quote from: Sim on April 20, 2023, 05:06:04 PM
Quote from: Bread on April 20, 2023, 12:44:08 AMFunny enough, I actually think we could use another. Concavenator
Hopefully with lips...
Concavenator could be interesting.  I have some dislike for that species, but if PNSO made a nice model of it, perhaps my feelings towards it would change.  That's what happened with Corythosaurus.  If PNSO made a Concavenator I would like it to be feathered.
I am not a fan of Carcharodontosaurids in general, but Concavenator is an exception. Again, like you said, feathers are necessary to make it different and interesting. Of course lips, too. Regardless, I just hope PNSO reverts back to some herbivores for a bit rather than another therapod.

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

Are the PNSO figures based on muscle build up studies as some companies do to make the figures anatomically accurate?

Antey

I realized that there are two categories of collectors here - one is as scientific accuracy as possible with paleontological materials. The second important is how aesthetically and original the next figurine will look. I'm referring to the first. Iridescent colors, parrot feathers and silicone lips are indifferent to me. Glad to have the PNSO on my side. )))

Sim

Well, lips are now supported by a scientific paper.  I now believe Concavenator had feathers, not just because of its quill knobs, but also because it has a row of neat rectangular scales preserved on the underside of its tail, but no scales preserved elsewhere on its tail.  The only explanation for that that seems plausible is that the rest of Concavenator's tail had feathers that didn't preserve.

I think it would be great if PNSO made some plant-eaters e.g. Chasmosaurus, Pentaceratops, Euoplocephalus, Scolosaurus, Kentrosaurus.  But I also very much want PNSO to make dromaeosaurids and Dilophosaurus.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on April 20, 2023, 06:58:49 PMWell, lips are now supported by a scientific paper.
That's what every anti-lip person said they were waiting for. They got it. They ignore it.
It is not worth arguing with them.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Sim

avatar_Bread @Bread, what plant-eaters would you like from PNSO?

Carnoking

As someone who puts stock in the lip side of things, it is great to finally have an actual scientific paper published in favor of such reconstructions.

That said, with the likes of Carr remaining unconvinced, I am very interested to see where the discussion goes from here and don't expect (nor necessarily do I want) PNSO to pivot to the lipped model right away, especially if that would entail do-overs for every grinning therapod made thus far.

suspsy

Carr's two word statement on the Cullen study, "Utterly unconvincing" is itself a rather unconvincing argument.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Bread

Quote from: Antey on April 20, 2023, 06:20:22 PMI realized that there are two categories of collectors here - one is as scientific accuracy as possible with paleontological materials. The second important is how aesthetically and original the next figurine will look. I'm referring to the first. Iridescent colors, parrot feathers and silicone lips are indifferent to me. Glad to have the PNSO on my side. )))
Or there are collectors who enjoy both categories you just described?
Lips are debatable yes, but even PNSO included them there are other anatomy issues some models have.

avatar_Sim @Sim hadrosaurs mainly and the occasional nodosauridae. Maiasaura, Hadrosaurus, Edmontosaurus, Shantungosaurus,Edmontonia.
I could go on, but it's a little off topic.

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Bread @Bread what other anatomical issues are on thier recent figures?

Medzo

Quote from: Kaustav Bhattacharyya on April 20, 2023, 05:35:27 PMAre the PNSO figures based on muscle build up studies as some companies do to make the figures anatomically accurate?

Well, you already asked this so short answer again: yes.
I guess you are expecting some proof of this. I can only suggest checking out PNSO videos which describe fragments of their design process. There are also some translated texts by Faras if I'm not mistaken on this forum, in the 2022 thread.
Anyway, what other companies are you referring to?

Faras

Biggest problem with the paper is imo it examined one tooth and called the day, despite we got plenty others laying about. I understand acquiring more teeth could be costly, but a big conclusion with just one sample isn't too convicing.

Some factors like particles in currents and sunbathing behaviour could have extra impacts on alligator teeth. Maybe the study could include comparisons of wear patterns between liped and lipless mammal teeth?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: