News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Bread’s Newly Acquired Customs

Started by Bread, August 29, 2022, 05:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

Indeed - the artist's eye is a great resource.  In this case I think the handling of the soft, waving stripes on the face is superb.

Quote from: Bread on June 06, 2023, 02:28:18 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on June 06, 2023, 09:04:07 AMDinocommissions has done an excellent job.
Yes he has! It is an interesting color pallet applied. Very complex but yet most certainly plausible. I think it is great to have an artist choose the colorscheme.

Bread

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 06, 2023, 03:51:20 PMIndeed - the artist's eye is a great resource.  In this case I think the handling of the soft, waving stripes on the face is superb.

Quote from: Bread on June 06, 2023, 02:28:18 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on June 06, 2023, 09:04:07 AMDinocommissions has done an excellent job.
Yes he has! It is an interesting color pallet applied. Very complex but yet most certainly plausible. I think it is great to have an artist choose the colorscheme.
Yes, originally the artist gave me four options as shown below.

My approach when selecting these was the consideration of other models I have upcoming. For example, De Clay Studio's Tyrannosaurus will be making way to me shortly with the orange coloration, so no orange. Although maybe a light and small area would be acceptable. Still, nonetheless I wanted to try separating from orange.
I felt as though a black leopard like coloration would really seal the deal for me. Large, although mammalian, predators have spots or stripes so why can't therapods? So really A and C were my two favorites so far, and I preferred the darker tone of A so that was applied as seen on the model. I also enjoyed the somewhat similarities in concept of this colorscheme to that of Saurian's Tyrannosaurus.
Also, I want to note that option D was out of the picture as I may possibly use that option for the new 1/35 scaled David Krentz AMNH Tyrannosaurus, but we'll see down the line.

Credit to Dinocomissions over on instagram for providing the color pallet options for this project. He really went above and beyond.

postsaurischian

:D Wonderful colours! Great artist! Congratulations, it's a true center piece.
   I really like the artist's feeling for fine details.

Halichoeres

Boy, I wish I could paint like that. Congrats on a very nice display piece!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bread

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 06, 2023, 05:24:43 PM:D Wonderful colours! Great artist! Congratulations, it's a true center piece.
   I really like the artist's feeling for fine details.
Thank you, and as do I.
Quote from: Halichoeres on June 06, 2023, 06:58:17 PMBoy, I wish I could paint like that. Congrats on a very nice display piece!
Same! I've never been good at painting. Maybe I'll give it a shot again, but for now I'll leave that up to the pros.
Thank you!

Bread

Well... not so much a dinosaur but an important modern animal who is related to dinosaurs ;D

1/35 Scale Swimming American Alligator
Printed & Painted by Joanna Wojtkowiak

Although the colors should be darker and less yellow especially on the arms, I am pretty happy with this model. I've been looking for a 1/35 scale crocodilian model to sit alongside my prehistoric collection. Plus, I am a huge Alligator nerd.

Here is a comparison with a 40 centimeter (16 inches) long Alligator skull, which approximately is a 9 foot long individual.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Bread on June 08, 2023, 08:59:37 PMWell... not so much a dinosaur but an important modern animal who is related to dinosaurs ;D
Although the colors should be darker and less yellow especially on the arms, I am pretty happy with this model.

Aren't we all related ... in a way :) ?

Beautiful dynamic pose - I like the colours that can of course drastically change in many directions in sun-drenched waters.

ceratopsian

The pose is superb - so full of vigour.

Bread

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 08, 2023, 09:23:01 PM
Quote from: Bread on June 08, 2023, 08:59:37 PMWell... not so much a dinosaur but an important modern animal who is related to dinosaurs ;D
Although the colors should be darker and less yellow especially on the arms, I am pretty happy with this model.

Aren't we all related ... in a way :) ?

Beautiful dynamic pose - I like the colours that can of course drastically change in many directions in sun-drenched waters.
You know it's funny because I've said to people before "you know we're standing here right now just because a fish decided to go on land."

Anyways, thank you! It is a beautiful dynamic pose, supposed to replicate an Alligator submerged under water. Colors can change depending on the age and scenario but I'd prefer it to be darker since the scale is 1/35 representing a possible 10 foot long animal.

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 08, 2023, 09:30:23 PMThe pose is superb - so full of vigour.
Thank you! I was super happy to find this pose rather than a walking or resting pose.

Bread

Up until recently, I have finally had Martin Garratt complete a few repaints for me. I shared in the recent acquisitions thread my haul and now in my collection thread I will go over each model with its own photo.

I gave Martin the choice for all of the figure's colorschemes, except the Atlasaurus and Protoceratops.

CollectA Struthiomimus

Unfortunately I forgot this one when taking the group photo :'(
Basically the reason why the Struthiomimus is first on the list to be shown ::)
Martin did an excellent job, and I appreciate the warm tone this model has. I may have Martin paint up another with a bright head coloration to represent a male.

SidB

Quote from: Bread on June 14, 2023, 07:14:05 PMUp until recently, I have finally had Martin Garratt complete a few repaints for me. I shared in the recent acquisitions thread my haul and now in my collection thread I will go over each model with its own photo.

I gave Martin the choice for all of the figure's colorschemes, except the Atlasaurus and Protoceratops.

CollectA Struthiomimus

Unfortunately I forgot this one when taking the group photo :'(
Basically the reason why the Struthiomimus is first on the list to be shown ::)
Martin did an excellent job, and I appreciate the warm tone this model has. I may have Martin paint up another with a bright head coloration to represent a male.
Good idea, avatar_Bread @Bread , about the male.

Bread

Thanks S @SidB Hopefully this will occur in the near future. I find smaller species like this model to be acceptable of having quite a few.

ceratopsian

I'm fully in favour of your idea of getting a "male" painted up.  Excellent thought!

Halichoeres

Much more subtle than the factory paint job. And yeah, if anything should be in flocks, it's little guys like these!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bread

Thanks again everyone!

So I saw the appraisal for the Eofauna Triceratops repaint by Martin Garratt, so I figured why not show it next. Well then I got to taking the photos of the Triceratops, fell more in love with it, then I thought why not show off all three of the ceratopsians repaints. So now we're here...

First up... Eofauna Triceratops repainted by Martin Garratt

Compared to my PNSO Torosaurus repainted by Art by Anz

Next is... CollectA Regaliceratops repainted by Martin Garratt. I am glad he went for the famous colorscheme/artwork used when first debuting this genus.

Love that even a small model like this can receive such a dramatic colorscheme.

Next is... Wild Past Protoceratops, another that I hope to acquire the Shapeways version by Wild Past in the future to represent a female or possible male rival.

My only request for this figure was the bright blue head with a sand like color for the body. I felt as though bright blues CAN work when paired with a bland color. Wanted to try it out.

Comparison of my current ceratopsians. Left out the other Nasutoceratops variant.

Next I will show off the Atlasaurus and Brighstoneus! Thank you! :))

Edit: Slight add-on, I am working on improving a light box for improved lighting on the white backdrop. I know this photos kind of show off too much shadowing unfortunately.

SidB

Again, stunning improvements all around. Hope that you can still afford to put food on your plate, avatar_Bread @Bread .

Bread

Quote from: SidB on June 16, 2023, 01:36:28 AMAgain, stunning improvements all around. Hope that you can still afford to put food on your plate, avatar_Bread @Bread .
Thank you! And do not worry I put some money to the side for summer customs. Once fall comes around, only acquisitions from company releases. No customs whatsoever. New rule for myself.

SidB

Quote from: Bread on June 16, 2023, 03:25:59 AM
Quote from: SidB on June 16, 2023, 01:36:28 AMAgain, stunning improvements all around. Hope that you can still afford to put food on your plate, avatar_Bread @Bread .
Thank you! And do not worry I put some money to the side for summer customs. Once fall comes around, only acquisitions from company releases. No customs whatsoever. New rule for myself.
I find that since I started setting well defined boundaries for my purchases, a while back, I enjoy the ones that do get a lot more. A certain scarcity seems to increase the enjoyment and the value of the ones in hand.

Bread

Quote from: SidB on June 16, 2023, 12:12:28 PM
I find that since I started setting well defined boundaries for my purchases, a while back, I enjoy the ones that do get a lot more. A certain scarcity seems to increase the enjoyment and the value of the ones in hand.
Exactly! I find it as another tool for organization as well. Allows me to prioritize not only my spending, but the assortment of figures I have per species. Unfortunately I just keep getting sucked into the appeal for a variety of Tyrannosaurus models. :'(

SidB

Quote from: Bread on June 16, 2023, 12:41:19 PM
Quote from: SidB on June 16, 2023, 12:12:28 PM
Exactly! I find it as another tool for organization as well. Allows me to prioritize not only my spending, but the assortment of figures I have per species. Unfortunately I just keep getting sucked into the appeal for a variety of Tyrannosaurus models. :'(
As a tyrannosaurus afectionado too, it is very difficult to resist all the fine new releases, I get it!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: