News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

1/35 Barosaurus ideal dimensions ?

Started by thomasw100, August 19, 2023, 10:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

I am looking for an educated best guess for the ideal dimensions of Barosaurus. The literature gives a vast range of length estimates. In one work, I found an estimated 28 m as the average size but a 46 m maximum size (see linked picture). Other works claim that the length could have been more than 50 m. I am trying to figure out what would be good educated guess for a decently sized large model in 1:35 that would capture the impressive presence of that large diplodocid. I am thinking of something in the range between 30 and 40 m to represent a large but not too oversized individual. Any suggestions?

Leyster

Given that BYU 9024 was reinterpreted as a Supersaurus vertebra (Curtice, 2021), I think it'd be safer to go with the more traditional size

Here is AMNH 6341

Amd here is YPM 429
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

thomasw100

Quote from: Leyster on August 19, 2023, 12:57:43 PMGiven that BYU 9024 was reinterpreted as a Supersaurus vertebra (Curtice, 2021), I think it'd be safer to go with the more traditional size

Here is AMNH 6341

Amd here is YPM 429

Thank you for your answer. These quoted length in the skeletal reconstructions would then be standing length measured horizontally it appears. This would bring the total length along the spine / curve from tip of snout to the tip of the tail to about 35 m.

Wally-217

Taylor and Wedel gave an estimate for BYU 3GR here (page 54): http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/dino/pubs/svpca2016/TaylorWedel2016-how-big-did-barosaurus-get.pdf - for a total neck length of 12-13.7m. I don't know anything else about that specimen though, or sauropod anatomy in general. But if their conclusions are valid (they were already rebutted on BYU9024), then BYU 3GR equates to at least 36m when scaled isometrically .

Leyster

Quote from: thomasw100 on August 19, 2023, 01:51:31 PMThank you for your answer. These quoted length in the skeletal reconstructions would then be standing length measured horizontally it appears. This would bring the total length along the spine / curve from tip of snout to the tip of the tail to about 35 m.
No, the lenghts you see in the pictures are already along the vertebral centra. Basically no one measures dinosaurs in standing lenght (unless explicitley stated) as fare as I know.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

thomasw100

These length estimates seem a quite controversial topic, and the scientific discussions is obviously ongoing. I am inclined to go with the estimates from the Sauropod Encyclopedia book from the Eofauna Research Group for now.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.