You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

NHM London: temporary Patagotitan exhibition - now updated with photos

Started by ceratopsian, November 28, 2022, 08:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crackington

I visited the exhibition earlier in the week with my youngest daughter and really enjoyed it.

I don't think I can add much to Ceratopsian and Flaffy's excellent summaries and photos, but they are now selling a Titanosaur model in the shop, both the souvenir one immediately after the exhibition and in the main shop:

It was on sale for £22 and is labelled Titanosaur rather than Patagotitan. I passed on buying it due to its size and the price - was a pretty expensive day out!

crazy8wizard

Shame that these don't seem to be available online (yet). I would certainly be interested in one of these since my other Patagotitan is currently being customized into a different genus.

Crackington

They looked pretty good, but I couldn't see a brand name on them. They were manufactured in China though. Hopefully they will sell them on line.

Otherwise, the shop had mainly the mediocre Toyway NHM figures as on my last visit pre-Covid, though they were now selling Papo too.

No Safari or Collecta though - a great shame considering how many British dinosaurs the latter has made.

Ikessauro

Quote from: Crackington on August 16, 2023, 11:52:57 PMI visited the exhibition earlier in the week with my youngest daughter and really enjoyed it.

I don't think I can add much to Ceratopsian and Flaffy's excellent summaries and photos, but they are now selling a Titanosaur model in the shop, both the souvenir one immediately after the exhibition and in the main shop:

It was on sale for £22 and is labelled Titanosaur rather than Patagotitan. I passed on buying it due to its size and the price - was a pretty expensive day out!

If anyone finds a way to get me one, I definitely want one. Hope it will eventualy be sold online.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Ikessauro on August 17, 2023, 01:53:04 AM
Quote from: Crackington on August 16, 2023, 11:52:57 PMI visited the exhibition earlier in the week with my youngest daughter and really enjoyed it.

If anyone finds a way to get me one, I definitely want one. Hope it will eventualy be sold online.

I would also be interested in one. I just placed an online order from the Museum last week, and these definitely weren't on the site. Does anyone on the forum visit regularly?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

crazy8wizard

Quote from: BlueKrono on August 17, 2023, 03:58:51 AMDoes anyone on the forum visit regularly?
Might be a way I could hopefully find that ichthyosaurus plushie.

BlueKrono

Quote from: crazy8wizard on August 17, 2023, 04:20:38 AM
Quote from: BlueKrono on August 17, 2023, 03:58:51 AMDoes anyone on the forum visit regularly?
Might be a way I could hopefully find that ichthyosaurus plushie.

I got the plesiosaur plushie. Kinda my thing.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

crazy8wizard

Quote from: BlueKrono on August 17, 2023, 04:21:34 AMI got the plesiosaur plushie. Kinda my thing.
Sure but there's dozens of plesiosaur plushies out there. I've managed to track down maybe 3 widely available ichthyosaur plushies. The one I really want to find is the Walking with Dinosaurs Ophthalmosaurus plush

Crackington

They were also selling a Titanosaur plushie at the museum (lots of them!).

Sorry I didn't pay much attention to it, but you can see the body in my photo upstream (shelf below). It was cute and looked popular with the young families.

BlueKrono

Quote from: crazy8wizard on August 17, 2023, 04:34:13 AM
Quote from: BlueKrono on August 17, 2023, 04:21:34 AMI got the plesiosaur plushie. Kinda my thing.
Sure but there's dozens of plesiosaur plushies out there. I've managed to track down maybe 3 widely available ichthyosaur plushies. The one I really want to find is the Walking with Dinosaurs Ophthalmosaurus plush

That sounds amazing! Did it come out within the past 20 years? I'd probably go in for one myself. If there's dozens of different plesiosaurs I'm unaware of them too. The only one listed on the site is the tie-die green one kinda like those titanosaur plushies.

Flaffy

Quote from: Crackington on August 16, 2023, 11:52:57 PM

Well I'll be damned. They really should've had this in stock from the get go! Missed almost 5 months worth of sales.

Thanks for sharing avatar_Crackington @Crackington , this defintiely gives me an excuse to visit the exhibit again. ;) What material is the model made out of? Hopefully not something too cheap. Would make for some interesting comparisons with Safari's version.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Crackington on August 17, 2023, 09:01:29 AMThey were also selling a Titanosaur plushie at the museum (lots of them!).
and it's a shame because they are some of the most boring, basic looking sauropod plushies I've seen.
Even reusing an old brachiosaurus pattern would look closer than the one they're selling.
Quote from: BlueKrono on August 17, 2023, 02:19:03 PMThat sounds amazing! Did it come out within the past 20 years? I'd probably go in for one myself. If there's dozens of different plesiosaurs I'm unaware of them too. The only one listed on the site is the tie-die green one kinda like those titanosaur plushies.
yeah, the ichthyosaur was released a few years ago but unfortunately it isn't on the website.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: crazy8wizard on August 17, 2023, 08:59:17 PMyeah, the ichthyosaur was released a few years ago but unfortunately it isn't on the website.
as for what it looks like, it's fairly standard for an ichthyosaurus although it has a weird, overly scaly texture.

Could be better, but given the drought of ichthyosaur plush it's a step in the right direction.

Crackington

Quote from: Flaffy on August 17, 2023, 08:49:50 PM
Quote from: Crackington on August 16, 2023, 11:52:57 PM

Well I'll be damned. They really should've had this in stock from the get go! Missed almost 5 months worth of sales.

Thanks for sharing avatar_Crackington @Crackington , this defintiely gives me an excuse to visit the exhibit again. ;) What material is the model made out of? Hopefully not something too cheap. Would make for some interesting comparisons with Safari's version.

Hi Flaffy - the model was a hard plastic, similar to Collecta or Safari. In fact it looked about that kind of standard rather than say hit or miss like Schleich.

Wished I took a snap of the wording on the belly. Pretty sure it just said Titanosaur, made in China and no brand name...

BlueKrono

avatar_crazy8wizard @crazy8wizard Oh, that's not at all what I pictured. Guess they didn't go with the color scheme of the WWD plastic toy.

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy If you do visit the museum sometime is there any chance you could pick up one of the plastic titanosaurs for me? I'd be happy to reimburse you, plus shipping to the US.

Ikessauro

Quote from: BlueKrono on August 18, 2023, 04:22:47 AMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy If you do visit the museum sometime is there any chance you could pick up one of the plastic titanosaurs for me? I'd be happy to reimburse you, plus shipping to the US.

Same, just let me know and I'll send you some money in advance before you go, if that makes it easier.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: BlueKrono on August 18, 2023, 04:22:47 AMavatar_crazy8wizard @crazy8wizard Oh, that's not at all what I pictured. Guess they didn't go with the color scheme of the WWD plastic toy.
my mistake, I misinterpreted what you meant. That's the Natural History Museum Ichthyosaurus. This one is the Walking with Dinosaurs plush. (Although it still doesn't look like the toyway figure)

Flaffy

Quote from: Ikessauro on August 18, 2023, 04:42:24 AM
Quote from: BlueKrono on August 18, 2023, 04:22:47 AMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy If you do visit the museum sometime is there any chance you could pick up one of the plastic titanosaurs for me? I'd be happy to reimburse you, plus shipping to the US.

Same, just let me know and I'll send you some money in advance before you go, if that makes it easier.

avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono I'd be happy to ^-^

Of course if the NHM online shop starts stocking the figure, I reckon it'd be easier to just buying it directly from them. But if they still don't have it listed by the time I'm going to London (late September) then I'll grab a few for those interested. If anyone else needs help getting the exhibit exclusive Patagotitan do let me know asap, assuming stocks last.

Interesting thing I've noticed, the colour scheme seems to be based off the promotional artwork of when the genus was announced to the public.

Ikessauro

Quote from: Flaffy on August 20, 2023, 06:55:50 PMOf course if the NHM online shop starts stocking the figure, I reckon it'd be easier to just buying it directly from them. But if they still don't have it listed by the time I'm going to London (late September) then I'll grab a few for those interested. If anyone else needs help getting the exhibit exclusive Patagotitan do let me know asap, assuming stocks last.

I did email them a couple days ago, asking about the figure, but so far have not heard from them. I assume the lack of reply may be due to the weekend. I hope they are able to list it to the website, that would make it a lot easier for all of us.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: