News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

GODZILLA: MINUS ONE

Started by GojiraGuy1954, July 11, 2023, 07:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fossilized-Rubber

Does anyone else feel that each new Godzilla film is like they went into the character-maker for a 2015 game and just moved the sliders around until they got an even more bottom-heavy Godzilla?

I've only just started watching Godzilla - the best godzilla film I've ever seen was the one with MechaGodzilla. It's just so over-the-top and it really leans into having fun with the story.
Now showing: The Lost World (1925)

My collection is here

MLMjp

I only had a moderate interest in this film before, but this trailer fixed that, seem like it will be quite brutal in terms of destruction and human casualties.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Fossilized-Rubber on September 05, 2023, 04:52:12 PMDoes anyone else feel that each new Godzilla film is like they went into the character-maker for a 2015 game and just moved the sliders around until they got an even more bottom-heavy Godzilla?

I've only just started watching Godzilla - the best godzilla film I've ever seen was the one with MechaGodzilla. It's just so over-the-top and it really leans into having fun with the story.

For the 90's films your pretty close, though Shin has some major thunder thighs too. 

I think traditional Kabuki had influences on the design :

Final Wars was the most slender Godzilla I can recall :

Which MechaG? There are a few films/versions of him

Gwangi

I gotta say, Godzilla: Minus One looks like it may be the best Godzilla movie ever. Not that the bar is that high. I love Godzilla movies but few of them are actually good movies. And that's coming from someone that loves them all, even the goofy ones from the 60's and the Legendary films.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on September 05, 2023, 09:19:47 PMI gotta say, Godzilla: Minus One looks like it may be the best Godzilla movie ever. Not that the bar is that high. I love Godzilla movies but few of them are actually good movies. And that's coming from someone that loves them all, even the goofy ones from the 60's and the Legendary films.

It's a Godzilla film by Toho. I will be watching it.

Dinoxels

Quote from: Fossilized-Rubber on September 05, 2023, 04:52:12 PMthe best godzilla film I've ever seen was the one with MechaGodzilla.
There's like, five of those hahaha
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Fossilized-Rubber

Quote from: Dinoxels on September 05, 2023, 10:03:47 PMThere's like, five of those hahaha
Uh...yeah!? because mecha godzilla kicks tail! To prove this, I've literally just made a gif from the film. Enjoy!

(The film is "Godzilla against Mechagodzilla" and it was the first one to feature Mechagodzilla and also the only one I've seen haha)

My collection is here

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Fossilized-Rubber on September 05, 2023, 11:59:39 PM
Quote from: Dinoxels on September 05, 2023, 10:03:47 PMThere's like, five of those hahaha
Uh...yeah!? because mecha godzilla kicks tail! To prove this, I've literally just made a gif from the film. Enjoy!

(The film is "Godzilla against Mechagodzilla" and it was the first one to feature Mechagodzilla and also the only one I've seen haha)

Kiryu is certainly one of the best MGs out there. Even if he's more of a cyborg.

Fossilized-Rubber

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 06, 2023, 05:37:08 AMKiryu is certainly one of the best MGs out there. Even if he's more of a cyborg.

I thought it was weird that Kiryu started to rampage and then just... didn't. Once it ran out of power and they fixed it that was it for that branch of storyline. I felt like that was going to be a big foreshadowing to some future event. Maybe they return to that later in the series.

Back on topic, I feel like this new film is a response to Oppenheimer. The resurgence of interest in the bombing is ample opportunity to tell the story from the Japanese perspective (albeit now with a giant monster involved).

I was also interested to discover that "The Beast from 20,000 fathoms" was a large influence for Godzilla. It was a Ray Harryhausen dynamation film about an ancient dinosaur awoken and freed from ice as the result of nuclear testing. It then rises from the sea to rampage and terrorize a city. I made a gif of it for illustrating this post:

My collection is here

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Fossilized-Rubber on September 05, 2023, 11:59:39 PM

MechaGodzilla originated in 1974 not 2002
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Fossilized-Rubber on September 06, 2023, 12:15:40 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 06, 2023, 05:37:08 AMKiryu is certainly one of the best MGs out there. Even if he's more of a cyborg.

I thought it was weird that Kiryu started to rampage and then just... didn't. Once it ran out of power and they fixed it that was it for that branch of storyline. I felt like that was going to be a big foreshadowing to some future event. Maybe they return to that later in the series.

Back on topic, I feel like this new film is a response to Oppenheimer. The resurgence of interest in the bombing is ample opportunity to tell the story from the Japanese perspective (albeit now with a giant monster involved).

I was also interested to discover that "The Beast from 20,000 fathoms" was a large influence for Godzilla. It was a Ray Harryhausen dynamation film about an ancient dinosaur awoken and freed from ice as the result of nuclear testing. It then rises from the sea to rampage and terrorize a city. I made a gif of it for illustrating this post:

Huge Bradbury and Harryhausen fan. The story Ray B. wrote was better but Ray H. made a stellar film too.

Fossilized-Rubber

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on September 06, 2023, 04:19:04 PMMechaGodzilla originated in 1974 not 2002
Woops! I'm so green to Godzilla, I need to stop throwing around factoids. Good eye on recognising the film from the gif.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 06, 2023, 04:29:15 PMHuge Bradbury and Harryhausen fan. The story Ray B. wrote was better but Ray H. made a stellar film too.

I watched a documentary yesterday with interviews with Harryhausen and Bradbury and apparently they became friends at eighteen when the latter was introduced to the rubber dinosaurs on the set in the former's garage.

My collection is here

Over9K

"I have always had the imagery that Godzilla is a nuclear threat, or the shadow of war in the form of a monster. So if I was allowed to it [his own Godzilla film], I wanted to do it in that era [post WWII]. "

"Although there was also the idea of The Great East Japan Earthquake, but Shin Godzilla had been drawn from that too vividly, and so I wanted to do it in post-war to counter that."

- Director Takashi Yamazaki

Is it irony that Godzilla finally returns to his original allegorical roots, representing the use of atomic weapons, at the same moment leaders in Europe and Asia threaten their use?

Me thinks not.

dragon53

GODZILLA: MINUS ONE---Toho released new photos of the new Godzilla from the latest sequel.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Fembrogon

I'm definitely intrigued, even excited, for this movie. Not only has Toho managed to keep a tight lid on this project up until now, but the movie looks like it will strike a very rare tone in Godzilla films. Few entries since the original have successfully approached the dark tragedy of Godzilla's origin and wrath, with Godzilla (2014) and Shin Godzilla coming the closest in recent years. Minus One just might capture the best of both those films, if all goes well.
I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss traditional tokusatsu G films, though - sometimes a practical man-in-suit genuinely looks better (at least as a base).

Mind you, I don't need or want every Godzilla film to be "grimdark" - my favorite film era is the 60s, in part due to their balance of whimsy, adventure, and drama - but it's good to have at least one film now and then reminding us Godzilla is a deadly-dangerous and frightening presence.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Fembrogon on September 15, 2023, 02:08:34 AMI'm definitely intrigued, even excited, for this movie. Not only has Toho managed to keep a tight lid on this project up until now, but the movie looks like it will strike a very rare tone in Godzilla films. Few entries since the original have successfully approached the dark tragedy of Godzilla's origin and wrath, with Godzilla (2014) and Shin Godzilla coming the closest in recent years. Minus One just might capture the best of both those films, if all goes well.
I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss traditional tokusatsu G films, though - sometimes a practical man-in-suit genuinely looks better (at least as a base).

Mind you, I don't need or want every Godzilla film to be "grimdark" - my favorite film era is the 60s, in part due to their balance of whimsy, adventure, and drama - but it's good to have at least one film now and then reminding us Godzilla is a deadly-dangerous and frightening presence.

Most of the films I was first exposed to were the 60 films.  That was Godzilla to me forever. It wasn't til later maybe 11 or 12 I saw the first film, bought the 2nd one and found Rodan and Mothra for rent. A bit after that saw 85' and Biollante.  I wasted 50.00 on Godzilla's Revenge on vhs. I was out of high school before I saw the 90's films. 

Shin I think was the first film since the original that had a sense of menace to it.

Fembrogon

My sympathies about Revenge; I actually kind of like that one, but if I spent 50 buckaroos on it I'd be peeved, too.  :))

I was introduced to Godzilla with Monster Zero around age 3, and somehow managed to see most of the franchise entries up to Godzilla vs Destroyah (1995) by age 5 or 6, if memory/calculations serve me correctly. Rodan and Godzilla vs Hedorah were two which scared me pretty badly when I was little, and didn't come back to for many years. I didn't realize there was a standalone Mothra film until probably my early teens.

I can also distinctly remember a period when many of my favorite Godzilla films were from the 90s and 2000s - Godzilla: Final Wars, Tokyo SOS, Destroyah, and so one were the "cool new" movies to me. Over time and multiple franchise-spanning rewatches, though, I found myself gravitating back to the Showa era, and the 1960s entries in particular. I think the franchise really hit its sweet spot during that decade.

I'd probably agree that Shin Godzilla has come the closest to emulating the original's menace; however I think Return of Godzilla and GMK made respectable efforts too. Arguably 2014 and Hedorah came close as well; but it was the opposing monsters, rather than Godzilla himself, who carried the menace.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Fembrogon on September 15, 2023, 05:08:56 AMMy sympathies about Revenge; I actually kind of like that one, but if I spent 50 buckaroos on it I'd be peeved, too.  :))

I was introduced to Godzilla with Monster Zero around age 3, and somehow managed to see most of the franchise entries up to Godzilla vs Destroyah (1995) by age 5 or 6, if memory/calculations serve me correctly. Rodan and Godzilla vs Hedorah were two which scared me pretty badly when I was little, and didn't come back to for many years. I didn't realize there was a standalone Mothra film until probably my early teens.

I can also distinctly remember a period when many of my favorite Godzilla films were from the 90s and 2000s - Godzilla: Final Wars, Tokyo SOS, Destroyah, and so one were the "cool new" movies to me. Over time and multiple franchise-spanning rewatches, though, I found myself gravitating back to the Showa era, and the 1960s entries in particular. I think the franchise really hit its sweet spot during that decade.

I'd probably agree that Shin Godzilla has come the closest to emulating the original's menace; however I think Return of Godzilla and GMK made respectable efforts too. Arguably 2014 and Hedorah came close as well; but it was the opposing monsters, rather than Godzilla himself, who carried the menace.

Yeah, 5 yards mowed to get it and the anticipation built..ugh

I do tend to gravitate more to any of the films where the Big G is the hero. Especially the ones where his buddy Angilas is involved. lol

dragon53

GODZILLA: MINUS ONE---new photo of Godzilla from the latest movie in the franchise.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: