News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Big search for Loch Ness Monster

Started by dragon53, August 26, 2023, 08:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Honestly I think it's nice to have something we don't know everything about. One day I'm sure they will be able to scan every rock and pebble in the entire loch and that will put an end to it all.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 26, 2023, 08:38:48 PMHonestly I think it's nice to have something we don't know everything about. One day I'm sure they will be able to scan every rock and pebble in the entire loch and that will put an end to it all.

No, it will never ever ever end.

BlueKrono

When they did that DNA survey of the water that pretty much closed the book on anything reptilian being in the Loch. I'd bet on the sightings being Wels catfish. They can potentially reach lengths of 14 ft. Just enormous animals. Would explain why they don't need to come up for air several times a day too.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

DinoToyForum

Quote from: BlueKrono on August 26, 2023, 11:38:18 PMWhen they did that DNA survey of the water that pretty much closed the book on anything reptilian being in the Loch. I'd bet on the sightings being Wels catfish. They can potentially reach lengths of 14 ft. Just enormous animals. Would explain why they don't need to come up for air several times a day too.

That study didn't find any catfish DNA in the loch. It found lots of eel DNA though.

BlueKrono

Quote from: DinoToyForum on August 26, 2023, 11:55:48 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on August 26, 2023, 11:38:18 PMWhen they did that DNA survey of the water that pretty much closed the book on anything reptilian being in the Loch. I'd bet on the sightings being Wels catfish. They can potentially reach lengths of 14 ft. Just enormous animals. Would explain why they don't need to come up for air several times a day too.

That study didn't find any catfish DNA in the loch. It found lots of eel DNA though.

Oh! That's news to me. I thought they introduced them into the Loch during the Victorian Era? 
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on August 26, 2023, 11:30:16 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 26, 2023, 08:38:48 PMHonestly I think it's nice to have something we don't know everything about. One day I'm sure they will be able to scan every rock and pebble in the entire loch and that will put an end to it all.

I hope not, but I'm talking " someday" even a 100 years from now. 

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 27, 2023, 04:44:20 AM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on August 26, 2023, 11:30:16 PM

I hope not, but I'm talking " someday" even a 100 years from now. 

Never! :P It's not an evidence-based belief for many people in the first place so some people will always have faith. In any case, the tourism industry there will never let it die.

Papi-Anon

Looking forward to all the photos, radar scans, etc of sturgeons, eels, and long-dead trees.

But we could always be surprised.

If anything, Champ is a comparatively more worthwhile cryptid mission due to there actually being hydrophone evidence of...something...with echolocation living in Lake Champlain.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

laticauda

Legends are hard to die.  I feel the Nessie is starting to go away though. 

stargatedalek

Was there and sturgeon DNA? I recall that being a pretty likely seeming option based on the very early descriptions.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 05, 2023, 04:33:57 PM

Was there and sturgeon DNA? I recall that being a pretty likely seeming option based on the very early descriptions.

""So there's no shark DNA in Loch Ness based on our sampling. There is also no catfish DNA in Loch Ness based on our sampling. We can't find any evidence of sturgeon either," Professor Gemmell says."
From here: https://www.otago.ac.nz/news/news/otago717609.html

Eatmycar

Is it possible sturgeon simply went extinct in the loch?

Fossilized-Rubber

Quote from: BlueKrono on August 26, 2023, 11:38:18 PMI'd bet on the sightings being Wels catfish. They can potentially reach lengths of 14 ft. Just enormous animals.

Curious, I looked up what a Wel's catfish looks like. Terrifying! The irony is that when I saw this picture I was less interested in the actual photo of the living animal and more about what the shadow in the murky distance could be. If this isn't the perfect illustration of the human flaw which makes perpetual belief in the Loch Ness Monster possible, I don't know what is.

Now showing: The Lost World (1925)

My collection is here

DinoToyForum

But the study didn't find any catfish DNA in Loch Ness.

Fossilized-Rubber

Quote from: DinoToyForum on September 06, 2023, 12:38:35 PMBut the study didn't find any catfish DNA in Loch Ness.

I didn't say they did, I said the desire to look beyond actual explanations for shadowy images in the background is the human flaw which will make belief in the Loch Ness Monster perpetual.

My collection is here

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Fossilized-Rubber on September 06, 2023, 01:11:07 PM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on September 06, 2023, 12:38:35 PMBut the study didn't find any catfish DNA in Loch Ness.

I didn't say they did, I said the desire to look beyond actual explanations for shadowy images in the background is the human flaw which will make belief in the Loch Ness Monster perpetual.

My mistake. :)

Fossilized-Rubber

Quote from: DinoToyForum on September 06, 2023, 05:26:41 PM
Quote from: Fossilized-Rubber on September 06, 2023, 01:11:07 PM

My mistake. :)

NP, It was a bit of an esoteric comment for me to make haha

My collection is here

BlueKrono

Interesting, the more I read, the more the Victorian catfish sound anecdotal. If the DNA came back negative for them I suppose that rules out that possibility. Do you know if the results showed any sturgeon in the Loch?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: BlueKrono on September 06, 2023, 11:57:18 PM

Interesting, the more I read, the more the Victorian catfish sound anecdotal. If the DNA came back negative for them I suppose that rules out that possibility. Do you know if the results showed any sturgeon in the Loch?

No:

""We can't find any evidence of sturgeon either" Professor Gemmell says."
From here: https://www.otago.ac.nz/news/news/otago717609.html

I was curious to find out more about this interesting DNA study but couldn't find any published paper, so I contacted Professor Gemmell to ask if the study has been published anywhere. He replied to say that the study is not published yet but he is working on a paper.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: