News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jimoai's prehistoric collection Dilemma

Started by JimoAi, September 21, 2023, 04:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

Am having a hard time focusing what I want to establish my prehistoric collection on top of budget and space limits and for mine, I'll be focusing on one per order/family.

What I have:

Botm Tyrannosaurus
Safari Ltd Triceratops
Safari ltd Ankylosaurus
CollectA Edmontosaurus
ColoectA mosasaurus
Safari ltd patagotitan
Safari ltd Quetzalcoatlus lawsoni
Takara Tomy Acutiramus

what I hope to get

PNSO helicoprion
PNSO mini ophthalmosaurus (using as ichthyosaurus)
Favorite co Otodus
one of the Kaiyodo ammonites
Safari ltd Postosuchus (to be either prestosuchus or Saurosuchus as the Safari presto is too large for me)
Safari ltd dimetrodon
Safari ltd Mammoth
CollectA thylacine
The Kaiyodo icthyostega if I can get it cheap, else would go with the acantostega
CollectA Attenborousaurus

Do let me know of any good suggestions and I'll consider. Currently eying a lobefinned fish to be added, maybe a placoderm, rayfinned fish, one of those carboniferous inverts, I'm not sure as I just want to get as many reps from as many geological periods as possible. Scale am not 100% precise but the bigger animals have to be bigger than the smaller ones and I don't think I'll get any more non-avian dinosaur reps so mostly prioritizing other extinct fauna though would be light on Cenozoic mammals as they aren't really my cup of tea

Halichoeres

avatar_JimoAi @JimoAi For a lobe-finned fish I would recommend Kaiyodo's Axelrodichthys.

Ray-finned fish: CollectA Xiphactinus.

Placoderm: Favorite Dunkleosteus or Kaiyodo Bothriolepis

Carboniferous inverts: there are very few but I would go with the Kaiyodo Meganeura or Rayonnoceras. The Innovative Kids Arthropleura is cute but probably not to your taste since as I recall you put a high importance on accuracy.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

JimoAi

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 22, 2023, 12:50:11 PMavatar_JimoAi @JimoAi For a lobe-finned fish I would recommend Kaiyodo's Axelrodichthys.

Carboniferous inverts: there are very few but I would go with the Kaiyodo Meganeura or Rayonnoceras. The Innovative Kids Arthropleura is cute but probably not to your taste since as I recall you put a high importance on accuracy.

Great choices but I'll disagree with some. The Axelrodicthys and xiphactinus are something I would love but I feel I have too many animals from the Cretaceous (all my non avian Dino's) so I'll maybe consider other options. As for dunkleosteus, I'll skip on the genus till someone makes the chubby new reconstruction. would prefer a more traditional ammonite for my collection so the Rayonnoceras is a no for now but the meganeura I could look into if it's not too big.

PS: I hope that you're not disappointed in me choosing Otodus for my prehistoric elasmobranch rep esp since I'm a massive shark fan

SBell

Quote from: JimoAi on September 22, 2023, 01:00:54 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 22, 2023, 12:50:11 PMavatar_JimoAi @JimoAi For a lobe-finned fish I would recommend Kaiyodo's Axelrodichthys.

Great choices but I'll disagree with some. The Axelrodicthys and xiphactinus are something I would love but I feel I have too many animals from the Cretaceous (all my non avian Dino's) so I'll maybe consider other options. As for dunkleosteus, I'll skip on the genus till someone makes the chubby new reconstruction. would prefer a more traditional ammonite for my collection so the Rayonnoceras is a no for now but the meganeura I could look into if it's not too big.

PS: I hope that you're not disappointed in me choosing Otodus for my prehistoric elasmobranch rep esp since I'm a massive shark fan

Xiphactinus
Quote from: JimoAi on September 22, 2023, 01:00:54 PM

Find the Kaiyodo Xenacanthus! Excellent little figure, represents an earlier geologic period. And a very unusual branch of sharks

Halichoeres

Quote from: JimoAi on September 22, 2023, 01:00:54 PMPS: I hope that you're not disappointed in me choosing Otodus for my prehistoric elasmobranch rep esp since I'm a massive shark fan

I hope you would not think me so judgmental! I am personally not very interested in Otodus, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be.

As for prehistoric actinopterygians, once you eliminate Xiphactinus, your choices are very, very few. Dinotoycollector lists only 5: https://dinotoycollector.com/Browse/Browse.php?SubGr=Actinopterygii

And 3 are Xiphactinus! There's the little Leedsichthys (Jurassic) from the CollectA marine life mini box, and there's a game piece of Cheirolepis (Devonian) from Oumcraft. There are a couple of different Diplomystus (mostly Paleogene but a few Cretaceous records) toys, but they only show it as a fossil. The Cheirolepis mini is pretty nice and inexpensive. Ships from Thailand, so not so very far from you.

For lobe-finned fishes there are more options, like the Kaiyodo Eusthenopteron and several genera from Oumcraft.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

JimoAi

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 22, 2023, 06:34:51 PM
Quote from: JimoAi on September 22, 2023, 01:00:54 PMPS: I hope that you're not disappointed in me choosing Otodus for my prehistoric elasmobranch rep esp since I'm a massive shark fan

I hope you would not think me so judgmental! I am personally not very interested in Otodus, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be.

As for prehistoric actinopterygians, once you eliminate Xiphactinus, your choices are very, very few. Dinotoycollector lists only 5: https://dinotoycollector.com/Browse/Browse.php?SubGr=Actinopterygii

And 3 are Xiphactinus! There's the little Leedsichthys (Jurassic) from the CollectA marine life mini box, and there's a game piece of Cheirolepis (Devonian) from Oumcraft. There are a couple of different Diplomystus (mostly Paleogene but a few Cretaceous records) toys, but they only show it as a fossil. The Cheirolepis mini is pretty nice and inexpensive. Ships from Thailand, so not so very far from you.

For lobe-finned fishes there are more options, like the Kaiyodo Eusthenopteron and several genera from Oumcraft.

That's gotta suck but will only obtain the xiphactinus if there's no other options/if budget allows.

The eusthenopteron is high up on my list!

Also still pondering on the amphibian I should get. the Kaiyodo Diplo and collectA koolasuchus may be too big, the kaiyodo eryops too tiny and the Kaiyodo icthyostega is pricey

Halichoeres

It's hard to be choosy with amphibians. There are so few in production, and so many of the out-of-production ones are difficult to hunt down. I do recommend the Kaiyodo Diplocaulus, though, even if it's at a larger scale than it sounds like you prefer.

One other idea on actinopterygians: In 2016 Schleich included this little weirdo in two products:

It appeared in both their dinosaur advent calendar and their volcano playset. It wasn't labeled, but it looks very much like Potanichthys. It's quite small, although it was quite a small fish too.

JimoAi

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 24, 2023, 01:54:25 AMIt's hard to be choosy with amphibians. There are so few in production, and so many of the out-of-production ones are difficult to hunt down. I do recommend the Kaiyodo Diplocaulus, though, even if it's at a larger scale than it sounds like you prefer.

One other idea on actinopterygians: In 2016 Schleich included this little weirdo in two products:

It appeared in both their dinosaur advent calendar and their volcano playset. It wasn't labeled, but it looks very much like Potanichthys. It's quite small, although it was quite a small fish too.

Kaiyodo's aren't that hard for me. so far the options for amphibians are Kaiyodo icthyostega, Acantostega, eryops and diplocaulus.

That flying fish fella may be a good addition if I can find it cheap

JimoAi

Update: obtained the Safari ltd Postosuchus to be one of the quadrupedal Rausuchian (either Saurosuchus or prestosuchus)

So far here's what I wanted to get

PNSO Mini ophthalmosaurus (to be an icthyosaurus and repping icthyosaurus)

PNSO Helicoprion (to rep the holocephalins)

Favorite co Otodus (to rep the Elasmobranch)

Kaiyodo Acantostega or icthyostega if it appears cheap (to rep the prehistoric amphibians)

Safari ltd wooly mammoth (to rep the pachyderms)

collectA thylacine (to rep marsupials)

collectA Attenborousaurus (to rep the plesiosaurs/pliosaurs)

Kaiyodo pachydiscus (to rep the cephalopods)

Kaiyodo eusthenopteron (still considering, to rep the lobefins)

Kaiyodo meganeura (to rep insects/land arthropods. besides, I do need more flying reps in my collection)

Safari ltd Dimetrodon (to rep the synapsids)

what I would like/consider to add

Tanystropheus

the Schleich Potanichthys but so far no luck locating it and would only get the collectA xiphactinus if there's really no other options

An ordavician animal that isn't a cephalopod

A Cambrian animal, preferably a trilobite

either the Safari doedicurjs or megatherium as even tho Cenozoic land mammals aren't my cup of tea, these 2 are my favourites

a prehistoric cetacean

and a few more!

Halichoeres

I can understand not wanting more from the Cretaceous. This chart shows most of last year's big-name releases (minus pop culture stuff), and it is pretty lopsided. Every year it's like this.

JimoAi

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 30, 2023, 04:33:26 PMI can understand not wanting more from the Cretaceous. This chart shows most of last year's big-name releases (minus pop culture stuff), and it is pretty lopsided. Every year it's like this.

Yeah that's the ugly truth especially with majority of the big names are being from. the Cretaceous

JimoAi

a list of every confirmed figure I'm adding based on each time period

Cambrian: Anomalocaris, trilobite

Ordovician: Cameroceras

Silurian: Acutiramus

Devonian: Dunkleosteus, Acantostega

Carboniferous: None yet, still pondering on a land arthropod

Permian: Helicoprion, Dimetrodon

Triassic: Rausuchian (Safari postosuchus posing as Saurosuchus)

Jurassic: Attenboroughsaurus, Icthyosaurus

Cretaceous: Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Ankylosaurus, Edmontosaurus, Patagotitan, Mosasaurus, Quetzalcoatlus

For the Cenozoic, I don't think I'll fill up every single time period as I have little interests in Cenozoic terrestrial mammals

Eocene: likely Basilosaurus

Pliocene: Otodus

Plestiocene: Wooly mammoth

Holocene: thylacine

crazy8wizard

I think PNSO's little Ophthalmosaurus has too small of limbs to stand in for ichthyosaurus. Ophthalmosaurus has extremely reduced hindlimbs that are far back on the tail. Kaiyodo's Ichthyosaurus might be a better bet or perhaps Schleich's mini (although I use that one as a stand in for Stenopterygius)

JimoAi

Am feeling adventurous and was wondering if the Safari cave dwellers Toob millipede works as Arthropleura

crazy8wizard

Quote from: JimoAi on October 01, 2023, 11:46:42 AMAm feeling adventurous and was wondering if the Safari cave dwellers Toob millipede works as Arthropleura
You could in a pinch but the millipede in that set lacks the characteristic armor plating seen on Arthropleura. You could probably modify it with epoxy putty though!

Halichoeres

Might make sense to wait on Arthropleura. The fact that it's being featured in a big-budget documentary increases its odds of being made in the future.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.