News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Yeah the white lines really brings down the presentation of what is otherwise a phenomenal sculpt.

Fembrogon

The white striping COULD be totally fine, but the application just isn't as natural-looking as it ought to be. The same is true of the black stripes on the brown version, frankly.
Nevertheless, these models look excitingly good.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: Flaffy on December 11, 2023, 08:18:26 PMYeah the white lines really brings down the presentation of what is otherwise a phenomenal sculpt.
Those white lines would be awesome in an Okapi-like paint application, I love the white/dark contrasting in herbivores. At least they are getting better into developing those patterns, just need inspiration from modern day herbivores.

thomasw100

Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on December 11, 2023, 08:36:18 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on December 11, 2023, 08:18:26 PMYeah the white lines really brings down the presentation of what is otherwise a phenomenal sculpt.
Those white lines would be awesome in an Okapi-like paint application, I love the white/dark contrasting in herbivores. At least they are getting better into developing those patterns, just need inspiration from modern day herbivores.

But there are two types of white lines in the green version for example. There is a softer layer which blends nicely into the base color scheme. Then there are some stronger white lines on top of everything. These latter ones are the issue, they do not really make up any pattern. At least I cannot see one. They look weird and they partly ruin the otherwise really nice paint application. Some recent models did not have them and I was hoping they had finally done away with them. But now unfortunately they are back.

thomasw100

And really by leaving these lines out they could make the models look better and save on the time and resources they spend on each copy of the model. Which comes down to using less resources and making more money.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on December 11, 2023, 07:47:12 PM

I had the same thoughts about the Tlatolophus pair when the colours were first revealed - that they looked too similar to HLG's Ouranosauruses. But after watching DinosDragons' review, the colours aren't as similar as I thought. The red Ouranosaurus is a lot more brightly red, while the Tlatolophus is of a duller brown, and same for the green Ouranosaurus variant; the green Tlatolophus reminds me more of PNSO's Tuojiangosaurus' colour scheme, more drab, more olive.

The white markings don't bother me as much either, they do indeed remind one of Okapi. That said, they do look less jarring on the brown variant.

These guys also look wonderful next to PNSO's offerings, especially their Olorotitan! Well done V @vampiredesign .

Now for the Stegosaurus ungulatus... I hope the tail spikes/thagomizers are fixed and moved closer to the tail tip!

thomasw100

Quote from: Quiversaurus on December 12, 2023, 09:03:54 AMI had the same thoughts about the Tlatolophus pair when the colours were first revealed - that they looked too similar to HLG's Ouranosauruses. But after watching DinosDragons' review, the colours aren't as similar as I thought. The red Ouranosaurus is a lot more brightly red, while the Tlatolophus is of a duller brown, and same for the green Ouranosaurus variant; the green Tlatolophus reminds me more of PNSO's Tuojiangosaurus' colour scheme, more drab, more olive.

The white markings don't bother me as much either, they do indeed remind one of Okapi. That said, they do look less jarring on the brown variant.

These guys also look wonderful next to PNSO's offerings, especially their Olorotitan! Well done V @vampiredesign .

Now for the Stegosaurus ungulatus... I hope the tail spikes/thagomizers are fixed and moved closer to the tail tip!

Overall the basic colors have become more natural in all of Haolonggoods models in the summer and fall. The first models in the spring had in my view slightly unusual color hues that looked a bit unnatural despite being not strong colors. Now this is really good now and this is why the Halonggood models fit well along with for example PNSO models. This is particularly the case with the Dacentrurus, the Dilophosaurus and now also with the Tlatolophus, also with the Carnotaurus. I have not seen the Baryonyx in real, but this seems to be the case for this model as well. So I would encourage Haolonggood to stay on this track and maybe think of making some of the patterns a bit more regular or simpler without the extra layer of white lines and then we are all set. Of course they can also think of a pattern that makes use of more densely spaced white lines like in an Okapi, but this is something different from just putting a few wiggly lines randomly here and there.

LucasLiu

DefinitelyNOTDilo

My god that's gorgeous, def getting that one.

cryolophosaurus

That's so beautiful....I hope to see the blue one (A) in person too.Might swap it for B but I don't know. Also side note, does anyone know if the little pterosaur is ment to be Barbaridactylus or Nyctosaurus and is it accurate?

Quiversaurus

Quote from: cryolophosaurus on December 12, 2023, 04:40:32 PMThat's so beautiful....I hope to see the blue one (A) in person too.Might swap it for B but I don't know. Also side note, does anyone know if the little pterosaur is ment to be Barbaridactylus or Nyctosaurus and is it accurate?

Maybe a Tupandactylus...? I'm not very familiar with flying reptiles unfortunately.

Carnoking

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't the connecting sail of the crest been more or less discredited?

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: cryolophosaurus on December 12, 2023, 04:40:32 PMThat's so beautiful....I hope to see the blue one (A) in person too.Might swap it for B but I don't know. Also side note, does anyone know if the little pterosaur is ment to be Barbaridactylus or Nyctosaurus and is it accurate?
Probably Nycto since it's also from the US where Barbari is from Morocco.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Quiversaurus on December 12, 2023, 04:57:06 PM

Maybe a Tupandactylus...? I'm not very familiar with flying reptiles unfortunately.

It's definitely a nyctosaurid of some sort, and its size is close to Nyctosaurus itself. Barbaridactylus is more Pteranodon sized. There is isolated material suggesting that nyctosaurs of some sort survived more or less until the K-Pg, but I think they are not complete enough to assign it to a particular species. So technically speaking these are probably meant to be those undescribed nyctosaurs.

Quote from: Carnoking on December 12, 2023, 05:06:09 PMSomeone can correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't the connecting sail of the crest been more or less discredited?

I'm not sure if there's been an actual study, so "discredited" might be a bit strong, but the general consensus is that it's probably unlikely. The idea is that there should be some tissue scars on the areas where a skin flap would have attached, but such markers don't seem to be present. I suppose it's still possible that a hypothetical skin sail might have been light enough not to leave a signal though; not all birds have immediately obvious quill knobs on their arms.

Carnoking

Played some catchup on HAOLONGGOOD's ever expanding catalogue, and as always I've got plenty of photos to share!

Carnoking

First up, the Daspletosaurus. Gotta say, I'm pretty impressed by that paint job but there's definitely something "off" about that head sculpt. Makes me think of the dragon from Shrek for some reason.

Spoiler

Pictured here with his nasty neighbor

And the inevitable PNSO comparison. The extra bulk and intricate paint paired with a lower price tag gives HAOLONGGOOD the edge, but the lifelike quality of PNSO's theropods is still unmatched in my book.

And speaking of PNSO.

[close]

Carnoking

Next up, the dazzling Dacentrurus! Whereas I think HG can be hit or miss with their theropods, their Thyreophorans have been consistently impressive. The fact that I got this figure for around 17 dollars staggers me.

Spoiler

Even compared to their earlier Wuerhosaurus, this figure is a marked improvement in every way. It's amazing how quickly HAOLONGGOOD can improve!

This is the only group I've felt have consistently rivaled or even surpassed the work of PNSO. The fact that they're a fraction of the price is really what puts them over the edge for me.

[close]

Carnoking

Of course, had to get the Carnos. I'm trying to limit myself to one variant of each sculpt but I never said I didn't play favorites.

Spoiler

Are you team Red or team Gray?

Despite vast improvements to the integument, the lack of a substantial caudofemoralis and painted nails are definitely a big ding against this figure. The perfect Carno still eludes me  :P

[close]

Carnoking

Believe it or not, this is my first Megaraptor figure! And boy does it not disappoint.

Spoiler

Great seal with those lips on the jaw!

And what an awesome pose!

I know I mentioned in a previous post how I felt the tones of the Megaraptors were derivative of the Carno color schemes but I'm glad to say that in person this is not the case at all.

The Megaraptor has much cooler tones. Could definitely do without the white stripes though, but they're not as glaringly distracting as I worried they would be.

Megaraptors are tyrannosauroids, right?

Spoiler
[close]
[close]

Carnoking

Another first for the collection, the Ampelosaurus!

Spoiler

Nice to see more unique Sauropods but lets be honest, this is just an appetizer for the upcoming Alamosaurus!

Can't wait to see how these two stack up next to the Alamosaurus!

[close]

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: