News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New Species of Tyrannosaurus!

Started by suspsy, January 11, 2024, 05:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Meet Tyrannosaurus mcraeensis. A perfect opportunity for CollectA, Haolonggood, PNSO, and Safari to make new Tyrannosaurus toys!

https://blog.everythingdinosaur.com/blog/_archives/2024/01/11/a-new-tyrannosaurus-species-is-described.html

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

PrimevalRaptor

Pretty cool to have a new Tyrannosaurus species published but my first thought was also "the flood of Tyrannosaurus models is not ending huh".  :))
Though T.mcraeensis would at least bring something new to the table (and hopefully not more JP-lookalikes since it's not T.rex)

Faelrin

As if there weren't enough Tyrannosaurus toys lol. But honestly this is an amazing find, and I'd certainly be all for adding this one to my collection. I figured there were probably more species of this genus out there, especially after that controversial paper popped up, but it was a thing I thought about time to time before as well. Can't wait to check out the study on this.

Here's a link to the article itself. Not paywalled thankfully.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-023-47011-0

Edit: On second thought, maybe they should hold off making a figure until there is better material? The only material consists of the:

Quoteincluding right postorbital and squamosal (Fig. 2), left palatine, fragment of maxilla, and lower jaws (Fig. 3) including left dentary, right splenial, prearticular, angular and articular, isolated teeth and associated chevrons.

From the paper (much of the upper skull and postcranial material is lacking):

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Brocc21

Very interesting. We'll just have to see if this sticks around, or if it's a repeat of T. regina.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

MLMjp

Holy Molly!

At least it`s a new specimen and not a reassignment fiasco like last time...plus it is separated from T.rex by 6/7 million years, kinda like how both species of Edmontosaurus are also separated by a couple million years.

I can see this becoming it´s own genus in the future though, but for now, hey!

DefinitelyNOTDilo

I saw some doubts posited online, from Carr iirc, but still, this does seem interesting.

Bread

Quote from: Brocc21 on January 11, 2024, 05:58:28 PMVery interesting. We'll just have to see if this sticks around, or if it's a repeat of T. regina.
Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on January 11, 2024, 08:26:33 PMI saw some doubts posited online, from Carr iirc, but still, this does seem interesting.
I honestly think this new genus is here to stay. It makes sense honestly from how many similar Carcharodontosaurs we have as so many people state how similar they look.

I really love this artwork going around too:

suspsy

Regardless of whether or not it's a new species, just the fact that Tyrannosaurus was around seven million years earlier than previously thought is a pretty damned huge deal.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Newt

Assuming the dating is accurate, I'd say it's more likely this critter gets assigned a new genus than that it is subsumed into Tyrannnosaurus rex. There are few other dinosaur genera found in both southern and northern Laramidia (Parasaurolophus, Ornithomimus, Struthiomimus, and Stegoceras come to mind), few found in both the Late Campanian/earliest Maastrichtian and the latest Maastrichtian (the same group but substitute Edmontosaurus for Parasaurolophus), and certainly no single species spans that whole range and time period. 

I noticed in the recently posted Nanotyrannus paper there was a "Hall Lake" taxon shown as sister to T. rex and wondered what that was about. It was an exceptionally short wait to find out!

Flaffy

Guess we know what PNSO's lipped Tyrannosaurus will be labelled as ;)

Fembrogon

Quote from: Everything DinosaurDinosaurs of the Campanian-Maastrichtian Hall Lake Formation. Tyrannosaurus mcraeensis (NMMNH P-3698), the horned dinosaur Sierraceratops turneri, a giant but as yet undescribed hadrosaurid and the titanosaur Alamosaurus. Picture credit: Dalman et al.

Okay, all I want to say is I'm pretty sure this is the first I've heard of Sierraceratops (named in 2022!), and whomever does a T-mac model first better pair it with this giant chasmosaur too!

VD231991

Quote from: Brocc21 on January 11, 2024, 05:58:28 PMVery interesting. We'll just have to see if this sticks around, or if it's a repeat of T. regina.
Gregory Paul's proposal to erect Tyrannosaurus regina and T. imperator for the T. rex specimens USNM 555000 (found by Kathy Wankel in 1988) and "Sue" respectively based on femur proportion and number of anterior incisiform dentary tooth was refuted by Carr et al. (2022). It is interesting to note, however, that the holotype of Tyrannosaurus mcraeensis was questionably referred by Paul (2022) to his proposed new species T. imperator, but recognition of NMMNH P-3698 as a distinct Tyrannosaurus species by Dalman et al. lends support to skepticism by Lehman and Carpenter (1990) and Sullivan and Lucas (2015) about NMMNH P-3698 being a T. rex. It'd be interesting to see how tyrannosaurid material from the Ojo Alamo Formation as well as the specimens TMM 41436-1 from Texas and UMNH 11000 from Utah compare with T. mcraeensis.   

Carr T.D., Napoli J.G., Brusatte S.L., Holtz T.R., Hone D.W.E., Williamson T.E., and Zanno L.E., 2022. Insufficient Evidence for Multiple Species of Tyrannosaurus in the Latest Cretaceous of North America: A Comment on "The Tyrant Lizard King, Queen and Emperor: Multiple Lines of Morphological and Stratigraphic Evidence Support Subtle Evolution and Probable Speciation Within the North American Genus Tyrannosaurus. Evolutionary Biology 49(3): 314-341: doi.org/10.1007/s11692-022-09573-1

Lehman, T.M. and Carpenter, K., 1990. A partial skeleton of the tyrannosaurid dinosaur Aublysodon from the Upper Cretaceous of New Mexico. Journal of Paleontology 64: 1026–1032.

Sullivan, R.M., and Lucas, S.G., 2015. Cretaceous vertebrates of New Mexico, in Lucas, S.G., and Sullivan, R.M., eds., Fossil vertebrates in New Mexico. New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science Bulletin 68: 105–129.

Brocc21

"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Bread

Quote from: Fembrogon on January 12, 2024, 02:53:35 AM

Quote from: Everything DinosaurDinosaurs of the Campanian-Maastrichtian Hall Lake Formation. Tyrannosaurus mcraeensis (NMMNH P-3698), the horned dinosaur Sierraceratops turneri, a giant but as yet undescribed hadrosaurid and the titanosaur Alamosaurus. Picture credit: Dalman et al.

Okay, all I want to say is I'm pretty sure this is the first I've heard of Sierraceratops (named in 2022!), and whomever does a T-mac model first better pair it with this giant chasmosaur too!
Could Haolonggood's Pentaceratops be a temporary fill in? Or at least some minor modifications done to it so it can fit in?

Here's Gex_pdroche, over on instagram, conversion of Haolonggood Pentaceratops to Terminocavus:

Also, more artwork of the new Tyrannosaurus species, this time by Zubin Erik Dutta, also know as amatorydino on instagram:

Supposedly he got word of this new species months back and so his artwork was released once this paper was. Looks awesome yet natural, I've always enjoyed his work personally.

Carnoking

Between the reemergence of Nanotyrannus and this, it's already been a busy year for Tyrannosaur news. Wonder what next week will bring?

andrewsaurus rex

whether this turns out to be a new species, a new genus or just a mis-identification of good ole T.rex, Suspsy is right, the real news here is that a huge T. rex sized tyrannosaur lived 7 MILLION YEARS earlier than what has been currently believed.  This could really throw a wrench into T.rex ancestral lineage theories.

I hope the dating of this find is accurate..

Dynomikegojira

Yeah and added to the supposed possible Tyrannosaurus in the Judith River Formation and Alamotyrannus of Ojo Alamo definitely an game changer for sure and that's not even counting some of the Campanain specimens found in Asia that could represent Tarbosaurus.

DinoToyForum

I know I'm not the only one who thinks they should've called it T. mex.

Faelrin

That would have been funny. Missed opportunity there.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Fembrogon

I can definitely see T-mex becoming the "common" name for it still.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: