You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rhamphoichthys, a swordfish before there were swordfish

Started by Halichoeres, January 13, 2024, 06:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

This came out about a month ago, and I'd meant to post about it but forgot. Several partial skeletons including two fairly complete skulls comprise the new species Rhamphoichthys taxidiotis ("traveling fish with a beak"). It appears to be a member of the Tselfatiiformes, along with animals like Bananogmius and Concavotectum, not closely related to modern billfishes or to Protosphyraena, which is also superficially similar.

Here's the skull:

The description is open access in Royal Society Open Science:
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsos.231296

Edited to add this reconstruction by Sky Jung:
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stegotyranno420

Forget crabs, turns out the swordfish bodyplan is the peak bodyplan.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on January 13, 2024, 06:33:49 PMForget crabs, turns out the swordfish bodyplan is the peak bodyplan.

Pokey-face > grabby-hands.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.