News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Blade-of-the-Moon's Art

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, March 13, 2012, 06:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 10, 2024, 02:50:16 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 10, 2024, 02:16:27 AM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 10, 2024, 02:07:48 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 10, 2024, 01:52:37 AM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 09, 2024, 04:11:03 PMIt was a permission setting I missed for moderators. How 'bout now?

Works now. :)

Great! Did I get the path and all the dinos in the right new positions?

Yes you did :)  I'll have the Jakapil, Ouranosaurus and Majungasaurus out in the park too hopefully by the end of the month or first of April.

Let me know where you place them so I can add them to the map, along with the Tiny Terrors. Thanks for the pics! It's quite a small area, much smaller than the building itself by the look of it, is it just the one door in and out? But I think it's still worth doing an inset plan for it.

You're so prolific I can hardly keep up!

Here we are. Ourano and Majunga added. Dearc/pterosaur and Jakapil will be on the new trail with the switchbacks I'm just not sure where as it depends on where the rocks are buried to get the poles in for mounting.  I'm also hoping to add Cearadactylus to that trail on a rocky outcrop above the Guanlong.

The building is roughly 20x24' the Velociraptors are in one end with a walkthrough separated from this one with a wall. There is one entrance in/out. I used most of the space to surround guests with the exhibit while at the same time keeping them far enough way so they can't reach over and grab the smaller ones. 

Thalassomedon will probably be in the woods somewhere, there is just no usable space around Terrors of the Deep for it. I am considering making a walkthrough cave with a big pteranodon in the woods so maybe it could go there somewhere? All of this is blue sky planning still.

The next dino to be started is Gallimimus, I've had the head done for around a year now.  I am trying to secure a bank loan to help establish credit for the park and get the Cearadactyls and maybe a Megalosaurus made for us. After that, maybe paved trails, a restroom, who knows? I have my eye a couple large sauropods as well.. lol

Blade-of-the-Moon

Blade-of-the-Moon

Elasmosaur skull redraw

Yes that's the old Dinamation Thalassomedon on my monitor..it's one of my initial inspirations. But has some anatomy issues. I like flipping through nostalgic pics as I work keeps me excited. lol

DinoToyForum

The building plan is incredibly helpful.

That skull drawing is looking good.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 11, 2024, 01:26:09 PMThe building plan is incredibly helpful.

Awesome. :)

I almost think it's done. The skull above is slightly longer to account for curvature when I start cutting and gluing. Teeth are mostly to give me reference points, probably won't stay exactly where they are/might increase in number.  Any critiques?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 11, 2024, 01:57:41 PM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 11, 2024, 01:26:09 PMThe building plan is incredibly helpful.

I almost think it's done. The skull above is slightly longer to account for curvature when I start cutting and gluing. Teeth are mostly to give me reference points, probably won't stay exactly where they are/might increase in number.  Any critiques?

No, I think it looks accurate. You have the saggital crest nice and tall (often missed), and the eyes and nostrils in the right position along the skull.

The Dinamation one is too broad and frog-like, whereas your design is accurately more narrow.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 11, 2024, 02:58:28 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 11, 2024, 01:57:41 PM

No, I think it looks accurate. You have the saggital crest nice and tall (often missed), and the eyes and nostrils in the right position along the skull.

The Dinamation one is too broad and frog-like, whereas your design is accurately more narrow.

Awesome. Thank you! I can move forward now.  :)

Yeah it's very..venus fly trap like?  For me as a kid around 11 years old it was pretty cool to see it swinging back and forth snapping at  you.  I had a plan years ago to make a moving neck elasmosaur/plesiosaur just never had the time to actually build/try it.

Never been to Disney but this one in their dinosaur exhibit was pretty cool looking too.

Blade-of-the-Moon

After our last juv. Brachiosaurus met an untimely end I needed to create a new one.

Used the 2022 skeleton by Scott Hartman head might be too small for a juvenile but this kid is over 20' long so... idk.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

The only real measure to use for head size is that the eyes never grow so they should be the same size as an adult, at least if I'm remembering everything correctly.

DinoToyForum

Will the new Brachiosaurus go in exactly the same place as the old one?

DinoToyForum

Here's the updated map with the Tiny Terrors zoomed in section added:

Have I made any mistakes? You're getting very close to 100 species. Dimetrodon and Allosaurus are in the list twice because one's a baby and they are not next to each other in the park, and there are different versions on Velociraptor and Dilophosaurus, so accounting for them I think the total is now 87 species?

Would you like to pick out another 'star dino', maybe somewhere on the looping path to the west?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on March 17, 2024, 07:19:23 AMThe only real measure to use for head size is that the eyes never grow so they should be the same size as an adult, at least if I'm remembering everything correctly.

I've heard that as well.  We don't really have an exact size for Brachio eyes that I know of. The Jurassic Park life size model went with 2.5" x 4" in diameter.  In my sketch the head would be 12" long. 4" is pretty big for that though there would be skin/flesh around the eye making it appear smaller. I may have to sketch it out and see what we have.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 17, 2024, 11:26:51 AMWill the new Brachiosaurus go in exactly the same place as the old one?

Probably not since the old one is still there just as a victim. So I would try to put somewhere else where there are less chances of trees hitting her. Not sure yet.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 17, 2024, 01:53:54 PMHere's the updated map with the Tiny Terrors zoomed in section added:

Have I made any mistakes? You're getting very close to 100 species. Dimetrodon and Allosaurus are in the list twice because one's a baby and they are not next to each other in the park, and there are different versions on Velociraptor and Dilophosaurus, so accounting for them I think the total is now 87 species?

Would you like to pick out another 'star dino', maybe somewhere on the looping path to the west?

I think it looks good. Where the juv Brachio was I added a juv. Saurophaganax to the fallen Brachio to make a diorama called " Predation" which basically explains how everything factors into the food chain.

The Ouranosaurus and Majunga should be ready by the end of the month. I finally got all the vinyl skin on the Majunga yesterday, now I just need to shrink it and finish the tree/chest support.   The Jakapil is getting there just don't have an ETA yet.

Hmm..maybe Styracosaurus? Or Dilophosaurus, Ceratosaurus? not sure?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 17, 2024, 03:47:07 PMHmm..maybe Styracosaurus? Or Dilophosaurus, Ceratosaurus? not sure?

I certainly agree Dilophosaurus is well enough known to be a 'star'. And how about Quetzalcoatlus? That's a star in its own right since its the largest pterosaur, plus it was made famous in Jurassic World 3.

DinoToyForum

Dilophosaurus and Quetzalcoatlus added. What do you think?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 17, 2024, 04:33:28 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 17, 2024, 03:47:07 PMHmm..maybe Styracosaurus? Or Dilophosaurus, Ceratosaurus? not sure?

I certainly agree Dilophosaurus is well enough known to be a 'star'. And how about Quetzalcoatlus? That's a star in its own right since its the largest pterosaur, plus it was made famous in Jurassic World 3.

Looks good to me. I'm actually hoping to either buy or build a new Quetzalcoatlus. Mine is a a juvenile at 8' tall and unfortunately is pretty badly damaged. Kids have been pretty rough on him. His legs and wings are broke and I've only got him upright with a wire supporting him from tree to tree.  This is one of those case where I really wish I could weld and build a sturdy steel frame.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Juv Brachi head sketch.

I did add lips over this one's teeth since I received a lot of comments about not doing it before lol

Eyes aren't 4" I just couldn't make them fit in the skull, but I did go as large as possible.

Totoro

Just so impressed and inspired by the park you have created, and continue to add to, avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon!  If you'd asked me as a child (and inside, most of us are still those same kids) about your work, I could have thought of no better life's mission.  What a legacy you're creating!   
Old Kaiyodo chocolasaur diorama thread:
https://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3848

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Totoro on March 18, 2024, 12:05:59 PMJust so impressed and inspired by the park you have created, and continue to add to, avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon!  If you'd asked me as a child (and inside, most of us are still those same kids) about your work, I could have thought of no better life's mission.  What a legacy you're creating!   

Thank you.  It took me awhile to decide what I wanted to do with my life. I think I was around 30? There's a point where you have to decide to pursue certain things vs others I think I've reached that point. Some days I still think "what if? " but I'm reminded what makes me smile by hearing the kids ( of all ages ) enjoy what I've made.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: