News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Renaissance

Started by DinoToyForum, April 16, 2024, 10:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

The major shift in our understanding of dinosaur biology and behaviour that took place in the 1960s and 70s is called the Dinosaur Renaissance. But is anyone aware of an overarching name for the later shift that took place in the 1990s and early 2000s following the discovery of feathered dinosaurs in China and elsewhere? I feel like someone has coined a term for this period but I can't seem to find it.

ceratopsian

I'm really not sure I've ever heard a single term for the revolution brought about by the discovery of feathers.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ceratopsian on April 16, 2024, 11:49:06 AMI'm really not sure I've ever heard a single term for the revolution brought about by the discovery of feathers.

Maybe I'm misremembering. Well, in that case, maybe we can create one! You mentioned revolution and like "Dinosaur Revolution". But I still have an itch someone has beat us to the punch.

ceratopsian

I'll carry on having a think!

Quote from: DinoToyForum on April 16, 2024, 01:17:00 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on April 16, 2024, 11:49:06 AMI'm really not sure I've ever heard a single term for the revolution brought about by the discovery of feathers.

Maybe I'm misremembering. Well, in that case, maybe we can create one! You mentioned revolution and like "Dinosaur Revolution". But I still have an itch someone has beat us to the punch.

Samrukia

we can try to follow cultural renaissance period logic

age of enlightenment? :)

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 16, 2024, 03:08:46 PMThe Dinosaurs Get Dressed
So the Dinosaur Victorian Era
But that overlaps with when they actualy first were found, so it is a confusing loop.

Joking aside, from my observations(the terminology i heard throughout life), the first Dinosaur revolution/Renaissance was around the 60s-80s. However what most think of the Renaissance peaks circa 80s-00s. Then the soft Dinosaur revolution comes, characterized by feathers, bird-features, and speculative ideas seen in e.g. All Yesterdays. We are currently in the SDR.

Libraraptor

"Dinosaurs take wing" perhaps, was it something like that?

HD-man

Quoting Naish (See Dinopedia: A Brief Compendium of Dinosaur Lore, which I reviewed: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2210.msg327118#msg327118 ):
QuoteIf the Renaissance was a cultural "event," when did it end? Was it short- lived and ended during the 70s, was it more drawn-out, or is it that we're still in it? I invited the thoughts of colleagues on this matter and discovered a diversity of opinions. The fact that we remain in a dynamic, fast-moving period whereby the ideas of the Renaissance continue to be supported and investigated could mean that the Renaissance is still ongoing.
But I rather prefer the view that the Renaissance could be considered "finished" once Renaissance views of dinosaurs became accepted in mainstream culture. The 1993 appearance of Jurassic Park could be interpreted as marking that acceptance, as could the 1990s publication of feathered dinosaurs like Sinosauropteryx and Caudipteryx. And if the Renaissance has finished, maybe we're now in a new period, a sort of Dinosaur Enlightenment.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Ludodactylus

Renaissance 2: The Re-Feathering
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Samrukia

Quote from: HD-man on April 16, 2024, 08:40:16 PMQuoting Naish (See Dinopedia: A Brief Compendium of Dinosaur Lore, which I reviewed: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2210.msg327118#msg327118 ):
QuoteIf the Renaissance was a cultural "event," when did it end? Was it short- lived and ended during the 70s, was it more drawn-out, or is it that we're still in it? I invited the thoughts of colleagues on this matter and discovered a diversity of opinions. The fact that we remain in a dynamic, fast-moving period whereby the ideas of the Renaissance continue to be supported and investigated could mean that the Renaissance is still ongoing.
But I rather prefer the view that the Renaissance could be considered "finished" once Renaissance views of dinosaurs became accepted in mainstream culture. The 1993 appearance of Jurassic Park could be interpreted as marking that acceptance, as could the 1990s publication of feathered dinosaurs like Sinosauropteryx and Caudipteryx. And if the Renaissance has finished, maybe we're now in a new period, a sort of Dinosaur Enlightenment.

wow, Naish and myself think alike

Over9K

Jurassic Park the movie tried to give us the science of The Renaissance, but Hollywood cannot ever tell the truth... ever. Jurassic Park the franchise stomped The Renaissance to death. We will be dealing with the erroneous perception of certain species for decades.

We're living in The Dinosaur Revival now...

DinoToyForum

Quote from: HD-man on April 16, 2024, 08:40:16 PMQuoting Naish (See Dinopedia: A Brief Compendium of Dinosaur Lore, which I reviewed: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2210.msg327118#msg327118 ):

I think this must be what I read, thanks!

DefinitelyNOTDilo

I'm personally partial to "The Fluffening"

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.