News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Fossilized Skull of Genyornis newtoni Found

Started by Prehistory Resurrection, June 04, 2024, 03:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Hope this inspires someone to make a figure of this bird. Been wanting a figure of it for a while now, and even better now that we have skull remains for it now.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Ludodactylus

I see Canadian geese every day where I live. I've even been chased by them and had one try to attack my car. The rage contained within the body of a Canadian goose is without measure.

Genyornis is, roughly, 50 times the weight of an average male Canadian goose.

Forget Phorusracines, for my money this is the real terror bird.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

bmathison1972

Quote from: Ludodactylus on June 04, 2024, 12:49:17 PMI see Canadian geese every day where I live. I've even been chased by them and had one try to attack my car. The rage contained within the body of a Canadian goose is without measure.

Genyornis is, roughly, 50 times the weight of an average male Canadian goose.

Forget Phorusracines, for my money this is the real terror bird.

I am an avid birdwatcher. According to my eBird data, I have documented the Canada goose 117 times since 2021, and in multiple states across the US, accounting for well over a thousand individuals. I have walked right alongside them, even with goslings. I have never been chased or attacked once. Wonder what accounts for these odd encounters?

Interestingly though, recently I got chased by a couple feral domestic swan geese.

Shane

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 04, 2024, 03:05:35 PMI am an avid birdwatcher. According to my eBird data, I have documented the Canada goose 117 times since 2021, and in multiple states across the US, accounting for well over a thousand individuals. I have walked right alongside them, even with goslings. I have never been chased or attacked once. Wonder what accounts for these odd encounters?

Interestingly though, recently I got chased by a couple feral domestic swan geese.

I'll toss in my experience here. Jacksonville is home to a lot of Canada geese, often in residential areas. There are a few goose couples in my neighborhood, and while they've never attacked me, they definitely get a bit touchy and territorial. I give them a wide berth when I'm walking my dog or I encounter them in my driveway. They often hiss at me and arch their necks in a threat display. But even with that, I've been within a few yards of them and just try to make them aware that I'm not there to cause them any trouble, and they seem to be mostly bluster.

Ludodactylus

The one that chased me, I wonder if it was guarding a nest? I saw the goose and moved over to give it a respectful amount of space and it started waddling after me, wings spread and honking. It followed me for probably 15 feet before losing interest and turning around.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.