News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dacentrurus = Miragaia

Started by suspsy, June 22, 2024, 08:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Sadly, this newly published paper is behind a paywall, but according to the abstract, the European stegosaurs Dacentrurus and Miragaia are one and the same. And since Dacentrurus was named much, much earlier, Miragaia becomes effectively nonexistent!

https://academic.oup.com/zoolinnean/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/zoolinnean/zlae074/7696911?login=false
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

Well that certaiy shakes things up, but good to see the mystery appears to be solved. The abstract also mentions the other "Miragaia" species from the Morrison is now back to being Alcovasaurus.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Primeval12

Whelp. I'm glad I cut that genus from the story I was writing haha.

At least we still have the excellent Carnegie model to memorialize it (I still don't have the PNSO one but I think it's also amazing.)

Stegotyranno420

Well this makes Dinosaur Strike obsolete now, given it had both genera.

But I wouldn't jump to that conclusion so fast given the fragmentary nature of the earlier.

Sim

The paper says the conclusion is based on a new quite complete Dacentrurus specimen so this appears final...  I'm a bit sad about this as I never liked the name Dacentrurus.  It sounds old-fashioned to me and I always thought it shouldn't get so much attention given how poor its remains were.  I imagine it only did because it was one of the largest stegosaurians, but figures of it kept having their appearance based on the obviously cooler Kentrosaurus instead of what it was closest to, Miragaia.  So what was the point of all these KentroDacentrurus figures?  Now they're all outdated.  Another consequence though, is that the PNSO and Carnegie Miragaia figures might be 1:35 scale for the largest specimen of Dacentrurus...

I wonder what will happen to the Miragaia project?

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on June 22, 2024, 10:09:49 PMSo what was the point of all these KentroDacentrurus figures?  Now they're all outdated.  Another consequence though, is that the PNSO and Carnegie Miragaia figures might be 1:35 scale for the largest specimen of Dacentrurus...

Same thing that happens when a new revolutionary reconstruction of a particular dinosaur is published: part of history (e.g. Spinosaurus). Some collectors may keep the old reconstructions in their collections to represent scientific progress, while others may replace them with more updated figures. Both are equally valid.

The bright side about this is people who already have Miragaia figures can simply elect to display theirs as Dacentrurus in the meantime. I haven't gone through the paper yet, so I don't know how the new Dacentrurus specimen changes our current (mostly inferred) reconstructions of the genus. Maybe a new skeletal will be produced soon?

MLMjp

Funny, cause sold my 2 Miragaia toys a while ago (Carnegie and Jurassic World)

I must admit, I kinda liked the "large Kentrosaurus" look for Dacentrurus better than the Miragaia inspired one, but now that they are the same thing, oh well.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on June 22, 2024, 10:09:49 PMThe paper says the conclusion is based on a new quite complete Dacentrurus specimen so this appears final...  I'm a bit sad about this as I never liked the name Dacentrurus.  It sounds old-fashioned to me and I always thought it shouldn't get so much attention given how poor its remains were.  I imagine it only did because it was one of the largest stegosaurians, but figures of it kept having their appearance based on the obviously cooler Kentrosaurus instead of what it was closest to, Miragaia.  So what was the point of all these KentroDacentrurus figures?  Now they're all outdated.  Another consequence though, is that the PNSO and Carnegie Miragaia figures might be 1:35 scale for the largest specimen of Dacentrurus...

I wonder what will happen to the Miragaia project?
They'll just rename it the Dacentrurus project
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

HD-man

That's too bad b/c Miragaia is easier to pronounce. Oh well.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

bmathison1972

Among toys, the PNSO Miragaia lacks the shoulder spikes while the Haolonggood Dacenturus has them; is it now believed the latter is not correct?

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 22, 2024, 11:56:27 PMAmong toys, the PNSO Miragaia lacks the shoulder spikes while the Haolonggood Dacenturus has them; is it now believed the latter is not correct?

Shoulder spikes are speculative for both animals. CollectA's Miragaia has them too. And I've seen artwork of Dacenturus without them.

The implications of this paper are interesting. It would mean that although Miragaia is no longer valid the toys of it are better representatives of Dacenturus than the Dacenturus toys are. I have the Battat Dacenturus and was going to get Haolonggood's too but for as lovely a figure as it is I don't think I'll bother with it now. I have the PNSO and Carnegie Miragaia, which I suppose are now Dacenturus and I certainly don't need another Dacenturus in my collection, especially an inaccurate one.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on June 23, 2024, 01:49:10 AM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 22, 2024, 11:56:27 PMAmong toys, the PNSO Miragaia lacks the shoulder spikes while the Haolonggood Dacenturus has them; is it now believed the latter is not correct?

Shoulder spikes are speculative for both animals. CollectA's Miragaia has them too. And I've seen artwork of Dacenturus without them.

The implications of this paper are interesting. It would mean that although Miragaia is no longer valid the toys of it are better representatives of Dacenturus than the Dacenturus toys are. I have the Battat Dacenturus and was going to get Haolonggood's too but for as lovely a figure as it is I don't think I'll bother with it now. I have the PNSO and Carnegie Miragaia, which I suppose are now Dacenturus and I certainly don't need another Dacenturus in my collection, especially an inaccurate one.

Yes, as a synoptic collector, I don't need both. Curious which to keep. Think I'll retain the PNSO Miragia as Dacenturus.

Flaffy

Will be selling my copy of the Haolonggood Dacentrurus based on this new info. Even if Miragaia is found to be distinct in the future, no Dacentrurus on the market reconstructs it with a Dacentrurine bodyplan.

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 23, 2024, 02:22:29 AM

Yes, as a synoptic collector, I don't need both. Curious which to keep. Think I'll retain the PNSO Miragia as Dacenturus.

I think that would be the smart choice. We have the neck of "Miragia" but not Dacentrurus. If they're the same animal then the speculative short neck of any Dacentrurus would be inaccurate.

Primeval12

Oh wait, Miragaia IS in my story... Crumbs

thomasw100

Quote from: Flaffy on June 23, 2024, 02:53:20 AM

Will be selling my copy of the Haolonggood Dacentrurus based on this new info. Even if Miragaia is found to be distinct in the future, no Dacentrurus on the market reconstructs it with a Dacentrurine bodyplan.

This situation seems to be the unavoidable consequence of producing models based on fragmentary fossil material. On the other hand, this keeps the companies that make PVC figures and paleoartists that make 3D models in business. Next year Haolonggood can update their Dacentrurus.

Elengassen

Would the Haolonggood Dacentrurus still work as a representation of Kentrosaurus?
One day we will know the truth about Spinosaurus... but not today.

thomasw100

Quote from: Flaffy on June 23, 2024, 02:53:20 AM

What would you now describe as the key differences (or inaccuracies) of the Haolonggood Dacentrurus model in comparison to the correct bodyplan?

Looking at the skeletal reconstruction you posted, I would note the longer neck, the different number of spikes and plates, and the likely absence of the shoulder spikes. Anything else?

The neck length is obviously supported by the fossil remains, i.e. the number of cervical vertebrae. Not sure if all the spikes and plates have been found, but one can probably estimate their number and size from those that have been found.

You know, I am just thinking if a skilled customizer could actually modify the Haolonggood Dacentrurus to the point that the model would become reasonably accurate. I have seen examples where necks were cut and head pose rearranged.

Ludodactylus

This is so cool to learn, and is part of the charm of collecting for me. Now I have a neat little bit of information to share when a friend points to my dinosaur display and asks about my PNSO Miragaia/Dacentrurus.

I wound up donating my Battat Dacentrurus because it wasn't a figure I was wildly in love with overall, and I hope it's found a home with a child that's as excitable about dinosaurs as I was. I had been planning on getting the Haolonggood Dacentrurus at some point and I probably still will because it's a lovely figure in its own right and presents a great example of how our understanding of this organism has changed and can change in a very short time.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Sim

Quote from: Elengassen on June 23, 2024, 11:39:21 AMWould the Haolonggood Dacentrurus still work as a representation of Kentrosaurus?
I don't think so.  Kentrosaurus has relatively short arms, while the Haolonggood figure has long arms which is actually correct for dacentrurines.  Also, an interesting feature of Kentrosaurus is that the last pair of spikes, the ones on the end of the tail, are the longest.  On the Haolonggood figure they are the shortest.  The Haolonggood Dacentrurus is a surprisingly well thought-out figure, but it's outdated now that Miragaia is known to be the same animal.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: