You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Is there a fossil prep lab in Northern California?

Started by brontosauruschuck, July 18, 2024, 02:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontosauruschuck

Long story short I would like to volunteer at a prep lab. I'm trying to find one preferably in the area of California from Sacramento up to the Oregon border. I think there's one at UC Berkeley, and maybe one at Chico State. Does anyone know how I would go about volunteering? Should I just shoot someone an email? Sometimes interpersonal things like this that seem very intuitive are very challenging for me.

Thanks!

Halichoeres

The California Academy of Sciences might be one place to look. Standalone museums have infrastructure to place volunteers, which makes it easier.

https://www.calacademy.org/volunteering-at-the-academy

For labs at universities, it's going to be at the discretion of the professor or a lab manager. It's perfectly fine to send them an email, but you might never get a response. It isn't personal, they just get lots of emails. You might improve your odds by writing shortly before classes start, maybe by two or three weeks. Middle of summer is a time for digs, conferences, and personal travel for academics.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

brontosauruschuck

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 19, 2024, 01:32:21 PMThe California Academy of Sciences might be one place to look. Standalone museums have infrastructure to place volunteers, which makes it easier.

https://www.calacademy.org/volunteering-at-the-academy

For labs at universities, it's going to be at the discretion of the professor or a lab manager. It's perfectly fine to send them an email, but you might never get a response. It isn't personal, they just get lots of emails. You might improve your odds by writing shortly before classes start, maybe by two or three weeks. Middle of summer is a time for digs, conferences, and personal travel for academics.

Thanks a bajillion for the advice. That link was super helpful. I can't imagine how I would manage to live in or commute to San Francisco to volunteer, but maybe I can make something happen. I have family in the east bay.

As for the thing about the middle of summer, I think you're probably right. The surprising thing is that the person who suggested I volunteer at a prep lab is friggin' Jingmai O'Connor, who emailed me back in about 20 minutes. So that was awesome.

brontosauruschuck

Oh but Jingmai doesn't work at a university. Duh.

Halichoeres

There are several paleontologists at UC Davis if that's a more convenient location.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.