News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

Quote from: vampiredesign on September 23, 2024, 03:23:41 PMThank you very much everyone. I have seen the information and understand it. We have different artists and we are also trying the best optimizations. For example, our scientific consultants and designers have different perspectives, but it's not a matter of right or wrong. In terms of design style, I actually want to create some special or unique style experiences. I don't know what language or words to use to express this meaning. The next product is coming soon, so everyone can take a look at the design style of the next one.

Certainly the colors and paint design of a dinosaur model are not a question of right or wrong, but mostly a question of personal preference and taste. What some very much like others do not like and the other way round. There is of course no way to please everybody here. Your approach to the sauropods and the Stegosaurus has been a smart one by offering one more conservative paint variant and then one or two more flashy and colorful ones. So different people with different preferences could find a version they would like.

The anatomical features of dinosaur models in my view however have less artistic freedom if these figures are supposed to be works of paleoart. Paleoart according to the definition is "any original artistic work that attempts to depict prehistoric life according to scientific evidence". So any anatomical feature of a dinosaur that we know with high confidence from scientific data and observation should be present in a dinosaur model. For features where the scientific debate is ongoing and there is controversy there is then of course considerable scope for interpretation and alternatives.

We can in effect attempt to rank the confidence in different anatomical features. To give some examples by now we have nearly complete confidence in the configuration of the hands and feet for many dinosaur species because we found rather complete skeletons and also footprints. We have probably quite high but maybe not complete confidence in lips for many large theropods and we probably have even somewhat less confidence in the sail structure of Amargasaurus.

So in my view the correctness of a figure should be evaluated based on the level of confidence that we have about the different anatomical features. Of course many features are consistent among all the individual fossils that have been found of a species, but some show variation. A good example are different configurations of the epiparietals and episquamosals on the left and right side of the skull of some ceratopsians. In this latter case, I would think that basing the model on a given fossil specimen may be a good approach.

vampiredesign

At present, the problems I am facing are platform limitations, size limitations, and shipping costs. Don't worry, I am currently overcoming various difficulties. My goal is to offer discounted prices, suitable conditions, and unique works that can safely and completely reach all parts of the world. I spent some time participating in the next new product, so it took some time. Don't worry, I will work hard to complete it.

thomasw100

Quote from: vampiredesign on September 23, 2024, 04:28:39 PMAt present, the problems I am facing are platform limitations, size limitations, and shipping costs. Don't worry, I am currently overcoming various difficulties. My goal is to offer discounted prices, suitable conditions, and unique works that can safely and completely reach all parts of the world. I spent some time participating in the next new product, so it took some time. Don't worry, I will work hard to complete it.

Could you possibly offer your designer editions through Lana Time Shop? Lana anyway sells all standard Haolonggood figures and they have a broad selection of models from small and large studios which are available in quite limited amounts. Lana offers worldwide shipping with moderate and reasonable shipping costs.

Sim

Quote from: Over9K on September 23, 2024, 04:12:07 AMAm I alone in seeing a little bit of VanGogh in the frills?
I think its coincidence, but I see the resemblance!  Well spotted!

Faelrin

Aside from the Huayangosaurus, Styracosaurus, Einiosaurus, what was that other ceratopsian that has yet to release? Utahceratops?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

Yes, it's Utahceratops.  I'm very much looking forward to it!

Flaffy

thomasw100

Haolonggood teaser as per Paleofiguras. They follow the example of Eofauna it seems.

thomasw100

Dinos Dragons review of Xenoceratops:

Turkeysaurus

It can only be utahceratops going from what's left and teaser photo.

I think it will be Triceratops surprise though.

Flaffy

The pattern from the teaser looks promising.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

The teaser doesn't seem to match any revealed species, which makes me think it's something that was kept under wraps. Triceratops would make sense in that sense.

thomasw100

If indeed this will be a Triceratops, then I hope it will be T. prorsus.

Haolonggood could follow the example with their Stegosaurus ungulatus.

Although I admit that I was rather hoping for a really big surprise, i.e. Brachiosaurus or Argentinosaurus.

Pliosaurking

Blade-of-the-Moon

Looks like it is a Triceratops.

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

Ah, was really hoping for T. prorsus. "Yoshi" is cool too but I'm quite satisfied with my Eofauna one. The detail and molding certainly looks sharper on the HLG version, with a significantly more attractive paint scheme as well.

suspsy

They both look terrific, but I'll pass. Already got the Eofauna one as you can tell, plus I'd rather save space for a Torosaurus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

thomasw100

Quote from: Flaffy on September 26, 2024, 03:06:09 PMAh, was really hoping for T. prorsus. "Yoshi" is cool too but I'm quite satisfied with my Eofauna one. The detail and molding certainly looks sharper on the HLG version, with a significantly more attractive paint scheme as well.

Just by coincidence I had ordered the De Clay studio T. prorsus resin model about a week ago. I am still happy with my PNSO for T. horridus.

I wonder whether the eyes on the frill of this Haolonggood Triceratops are just painted or part of the sculpt. Not so clear from the images that were released.

Flaffy

Quote from: thomasw100 on September 26, 2024, 03:13:00 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on September 26, 2024, 03:06:09 PMAh, was really hoping for T. prorsus. "Yoshi" is cool too but I'm quite satisfied with my Eofauna one. The detail and molding certainly looks sharper on the HLG version, with a significantly more attractive paint scheme as well.
Just by coincidence I had ordered the De Clay studio T. prorsus resin model about a week ago. I am still happy with my PNSO for T. horridus.

Congrats! It's one of my favourite T. prorsus reconstructions out there. Declay sculpts never miss. I had briefly entertained the idea of getting the statue, but remembered that I have no space nor funds for resin. It is absolutely stunning though there's no denying that.

QuoteI wonder whether the eyes on the frill of this Haolonggood Triceratops are just painted or part of the sculpt. Not so clear from the images that were released.

They look sculpted to me. Reminds me of the whole "keratin frill" debate back in the 2010s. Of course now that we've found direct evidence for scales on Triceratops' frill, that debate has been put to rest. But I know some paleoartists settle for a cracked-keratin look for a stylised middle ground.

Credit: Mark Witton

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: