News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

Quote from: Abobo on September 27, 2024, 05:08:54 AM

♪♫♫♪♫♫♪ I can't help falling in love with the grey version! ♪♫♫♪♫♫♪

shahinos

I'm measuring my Eofauna to 20x13 cm, so this is quite a bit larger.

ceratopsian

It's the grey version that sings to me as well, avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian

Quote from: postsaurischian on September 27, 2024, 09:11:43 AM♪♫♫♪♫♫♪ I can't help falling in love with the grey version! ♪♫♫♪♫♫♪

thomasw100

Quote from: shahinos on September 27, 2024, 09:35:49 AMI'm measuring my Eofauna to 20x13 cm, so this is quite a bit larger.

PNSO new Doyle is 24.7 cm long, so this Haolonggood is between the PNSO and the Eofauna.

The size of this Haolonggood Triceratops is roughly the same as the Stegosaurus ungulatus.

The Triceratops costs 39.99 USD whereas the Stegosaurus ungulatus costs 29.99 USD.

Maybe the price difference is because of the more elaborate paint design which is at the level of designer edition?

Carnoking

This is an absolute stunner of a piece and a definite raising of the bar on HLG's part. At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, it looks to be their all around strongest model yet!

SidB

Ordered the "green" one. It'll be a while before it lands in Toronto.

Gwangi

I really don't know which color to choose.  :-\

SenSx

Quote from: Gwangi on September 27, 2024, 01:15:45 PMI really don't know which color to choose.  :-\

Both are great.
For some reason I never associated the green color with triceratops, don't know why, but it's really well done here, maybe better than the blue one that sill has that classic beige color on the lower part.
Still a great model too.

Elengassen

I like the grey one more. The green has the same squiggles and hexagonal patterns they've already used on quite a few figures, and it looks more artificial here than on some others IMO. The patterning on the grey one feels more naturalistic, like something PNSO would do, which I prefer.
One day we will know the truth about Spinosaurus... but not today.

Jose S.M.

Wow those are gorgeous. I like the darker one better but both are lovely. And it's different enough to keep along my Safari one which is my current favorite Triceratops.

oscars_dinos

this feels like a next step in HLG as a company, more of this please, I still think their mamenchi is their best figure but the detailing in this is masterful cant wait to see what they do next at this level, I still don't have a tric in my collection, I'm still leaning towards the pnso because I am in love with the bronze paint scheme but I cant lie, this gray one is tempting

Flaffy

Very interested to know if Haolonggood had a specific species in mind for the Trike, like they did with their S. ungulatus.

Daspletodave

I like this Trike. Looking forward to the remaining 3 announced ceratopsians. I'd love to see a future HLG Centrosaurus and Torosaurus, and maybe a few overlooked ceratopsians like Anchiceratops, Arhinoceratops, Albertaceratops, Wendiceratops, Achelousaurus, and Agujaceratops!

thomasw100

Quote from: oscars_dinos on September 27, 2024, 03:50:48 PMthis feels like a next step in HLG as a company, more of this please, I still think their mamenchi is their best figure but the detailing in this is masterful cant wait to see what they do next at this level, I still don't have a tric in my collection, I'm still leaning towards the pnso because I am in love with the bronze paint scheme but I cant lie, this gray one is tempting

I fully agree that in many ways this figure takes Haolonggood to the next level.

Improvements visible from the promo images:

- very rich and detailed sculpt with more details than before
- nice grooves and other features on the horns, going beyond horns of previous ceratopsians
- improved eyes in terms of sculpt and paint, not in any way cartoony
- skin texture not pebbly or corny, but mosaic of flat polygonal scales
- much more detailed paint application, much like designer editions
- paint design of both color variants really different, not just different colors
- correct number of clawed digits on the manus
- very active and dynamic pose

Only drawback is outdated keratinous interpretation of frill integument.

Sim

I don't think the Haolonggood Triceratops has keratin on its frill, just large scales where the "eyespots" are.  I'm not aware of that being inaccurate.

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on September 27, 2024, 08:03:05 PMI don't think the Haolonggood Triceratops has keratin on its frill, just large scales where the "eyespots" are.  I'm not aware of that being inaccurate.

While the shape and arrangement isn't inaccurate per se, the sheer size of them is certainly stretching the limits of plausibility IMO. Still the more I look at the HLG Trike the more I'm willing to make an exception for this model in regards to repeat species/specimens. It's just so stunning and certainly a step above HLG's usual (already fantastic) output.

"Here are just some of the photo references that I used... The scales are present also in the frill (these specimens, just like "Lane", are not yet described in a scientific article)" - Credit: Fabio Manucci @ManucciFabio

Credit: Pangea Fossils (2019)

Flaffy

Quote from: thomasw100 on September 27, 2024, 07:20:14 PM
Quote from: oscars_dinos on September 27, 2024, 03:50:48 PMthis feels like a next step in HLG as a company, more of this please, I still think their mamenchi is their best figure but the detailing in this is masterful cant wait to see what they do next at this level, I still don't have a tric in my collection, I'm still leaning towards the pnso because I am in love with the bronze paint scheme but I cant lie, this gray one is tempting

I fully agree that in many ways this figure takes Haolonggood to the next level.

Improvements visible from the promo images:

- very rich and detailed sculpt with more details than before
- nice grooves and other features on the horns, going beyond horns of previous ceratopsians
- improved eyes in terms of sculpt and paint, not in any way cartoony
- skin texture not pebbly or corny, but mosaic of flat polygonal scales
- much more detailed paint application, much like designer editions
- paint design of both color variants really different, not just different colors
- correct number of clawed digits on the manus
- very active and dynamic pose

Only drawback is outdated keratinous interpretation of frill integument.

I agree wholeheartedly. I believe this image shows perfectly how much care was put into getting the integument right.

oscars_dinos

If it wasn't for the frill id say the gray one would look really nice with the pnso toro

Gwangi

Alright, after much deliberation I think I'll be getting the gray version.

Sim

I'm happy for all those who are getting the Triceratops!  I've decided I won't get any, I'm satisfied with my PNSO version and I don't like Triceratops enough to want to have another at the moment.  This is also good for me as I don't have much space left for figures.  If I need more space I might be able to make it... but I'm not at that point yet.  So for now I'm saving space for figures I truly want.  This makes it a good thing when a new figure doesn't interest me, it's good for me to remember that!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: