News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Favorite model in your collection?

Started by Duck, October 23, 2021, 11:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theriz

Hmmm that's hard.. Probably one of these.
BOTM Regaliceratops: First BOTM figure and I love it! It's so life like. (I actually bought the Kosmoceratops and they sent me the wrong one, but I was so happy for it be here I didn't care.)
Safari 2017 Feathered Tyrannosaurus: Such a legendary figure.
PNSO Lambeosaurus: One word. Glorious.
There a lot of others I like too

CARN0TAURUS

The one that got me back into buying figures again after a 6-7 year hiatus was the (2016?) safari ltd. giganotosaurus so that one is very special to me.  The base allowed it to have a very dynamic pose, it looks like it's attacking something and the pose captures it just as it's preparing to strike.  At least that's the way I visualize it plus the smooth skin was a huge draw for me as well and now it seems that smooth skin is trending as more and more figures are coming out with more realistic-to-scale skin and scales.  Plus I think it saves the figure companies on paint expenses, LOL.  I learned this from repainting my safari feathered T-rex, holy cow it took a lot of paint and many many coats by hand.

Then a couple years later the eofauna giganotosaurus became my favorite and he wasn't beat out until a few weeks ago when I purchased the new PNSO gamba the carcharodontosaurus.  Gamba is the closest I've come to feeling like I'm holding a real dinosaur in my hands.  I think gamba is an underrated work of art.  I hope that PNSO decides to give the smooth skin treatment to my favorite dinosaur (carnotaurus) and also to T-rex.  The overdone scales are the only reason I haven't purchased wilson or domingo.

So right now it's gamba but if domingo 2.0 comes out with smooth skin that will definitely be #1 at that point :)

Of my older models my favorite was the kinto favorite T-rex (2003?) small but still so much fun to look at.

SRF

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on December 07, 2021, 06:00:26 PM
The one that got me back into buying figures again after a 6-7 year hiatus was the (2016?) safari ltd. giganotosaurus so that one is very special to me.  The base allowed it to have a very dynamic pose, it looks like it's attacking something and the pose captures it just as it's preparing to strike.  At least that's the way I visualize it plus the smooth skin was a huge draw for me as well and now it seems that smooth skin is trending as more and more figures are coming out with more realistic-to-scale skin and scales.  Plus I think it saves the figure companies on paint expenses, LOL.  I learned this from repainting my safari feathered T-rex, holy cow it took a lot of paint and many many coats by hand.

Then a couple years later the eofauna giganotosaurus became my favorite and he wasn't beat out until a few weeks ago when I purchased the new PNSO gamba the carcharodontosaurus.  Gamba is the closest I've come to feeling like I'm holding a real dinosaur in my hands.  I think gamba is an underrated work of art.  I hope that PNSO decides to give the smooth skin treatment to my favorite dinosaur (carnotaurus) and also to T-rex.  The overdone scales are the only reason I haven't purchased wilson or domingo.

So right now it's gamba but if domingo 2.0 comes out with smooth skin that will definitely be #1 at that point :)

Of my older models my favorite was the kinto favorite T-rex (2003?) small but still so much fun to look at.

PNSO actually already made a T. Rex with smoother skin with their female version called Andrea. Her posture isn't for everyone though, but It is an interesting piece which can be displayed anywhere. 
But today, I'm just being father

need4swede

Quote from: SRF on December 08, 2021, 03:26:17 PM
PNSO actually already made a T. Rex with smoother skin with their female version called Andrea. Her posture isn't for everyone though, but It is an interesting piece which can be displayed anywhere.

Genuinely surprised how much love Andrea has gotten in this thread. She's my favorite figure in my collection, but (as you pointed out) I've some who aren't so fond of the posture. In a collection full of ferocious theropods, the gentler and less aggressive piece really sticks out and I love the softer texture - matches the tonality of the piece, I think. Glad to hear I'm not alone in sharing this opinion.

Quote from: SRF on November 23, 2021, 08:10:01 AM
S @SidB avatar_Antey @Antey I have Wilson and Andrea displayed together and they do make a very nice sight to behold. For me Andrea elevates Wilson even more, displayed together I like both models even more than when displayed apart from each other.

Couldn't agree more. I made a diorama of the pair of them and they work really well together!

- Swede

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on December 07, 2021, 06:00:26 PM

It really bugs me that I just can't pull the trigger on Andrea, while she does have the smooth skin and is portrayed in a very welcome change of pace natural resting posture, I just can't get myself to buy her for a couple of reasons.  Reason one is that she appears to have the scaly wilson head with the smooth body and the transition from head to neck seems odd to me, then there is the issue with the legs.  And here's the rub, PNSO themselves have a little gif of a T-rex standing up from a resting posture and the legs are placed correctly on their gif but then are placed incorrectly on their reconstruction!  Obviously they know the correct placement of the legs so why would they make a model with legs that appear to have every ligament ripped to shreds in order to achieve the posture it has?  I just don't understand that disconnect.  Part of me feels bad, like I should reward the risk they took in making such an unconventional pose.  But the other part of me feels like I shouldn't reward them for execution that falls short of the knowledge they already possess on how to correctly represent the animal in a resting pose.  IDK, it's been really really hard not to buy her and I might end up caving in at some point because I do love the idea of portraying these animals doing normal everyday things that don't involve roaring, running, or attacking something.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: need4swede on December 08, 2021, 05:44:44 PM

Genuinely surprised how much love Andrea has gotten in this thread. She's my favorite figure in my collection, but (as you pointed out) I've some who aren't so fond of the posture. In a collection full of ferocious theropods, the gentler and less aggressive piece really sticks out and I love the softer texture - matches the tonality of the piece, I think. Glad to hear I'm not alone in sharing this opinion.

Quote from: SRF on November 23, 2021, 08:10:01 AM
S @SidB avatar_Antey @Antey I have Wilson and Andrea displayed together and they do make a very nice sight to behold. For me Andrea elevates Wilson even more, displayed together I like both models even more than when displayed apart from each other.

Couldn't agree more. I made a diorama of the pair of them and they work really well together!

Awesome dio!  Please feel free to post more images ;)

Carnoking

I don't know that I could possibly choose a favorite out of all of it but my Battat Diplodocus is certainly the most special piece I have.

Libraraptor

MesozoicJohn

This is a very difficult decision to make but, narrowly beating my PNSO Machairoceratops and my Rebor Dilophosaurus pair, my current favorite is my PNSO Triceratops.

John :)

cool japanese male names

Duck

My choice has probably shifted from Papo Ceratosaurus to Safari Camarasaurus.
I wish the paint scheme wasn't so sloppy, but the sculpt is absolutely gorgeous and makes up for the paint.
However, I'm getting the PNSO Orolotitan and Eofauna Giganotosaurus and Atlasaurus soon, so my decisions may change.
Quote from: MesozoicJohn on December 25, 2021, 05:39:19 PM
This is a very difficult decision to make but, narrowly beating my PNSO Machairoceratops and my Rebor Dilophosaurus pair, my current favorite is my PNSO Triceratops.

cool japanese male names
Nice choice. I personally like Eofauna's Triceratops more, but I still like that model a lot.
CollectA's upcoming Triceratops looks good too.
He who dwells in pond

MesozoicJohn

Yes Duck, the Eofauna model does look very very nice.

Bread

Quote from: Bread on October 27, 2021, 04:12:08 PM
CollectA Kronosaurus or Nanmu Once and Future King Tyrannosaurus (Future Variant).
Slight change to mine, no longer the CollectA Kronosaurus, but the PNSO Dunkleosteus is incredible. Still love the Nanmu Once and Future King Tyrannosaurus (Future Variant) and it is still my favorite in the collection.

JohannesB

I have a few models that are my favourite for different reasons. In no specific order of importance:

Carnegie 2006 Diplodocus (as repainted by me)
Carnegie 2012 Brachiosaurus (as repainted by me)
Carnegie 2008 Spinosaurus (as repainted by me)
Safari 1993 Velociraptor (as repainted by me)
PNSO 2016(?) Chungkingosaurus (the big, approx. 1:8 scale model)
PNSO 2020/2021 Tyrannosaurus rex ('Winter Wilson')
PNSO 2021 Tarbosaurus
PNSO 2021 Triceratops
PNSO 2021 Iguanodon
Invicta 1993 Lambeosaurus
Invicta 1989 Baryonyx
Invicta 1974 Diplodocus
Invicta 1987/1988 Stenonychosaurus (Trøodon) (sic) (as painted by Martin Garratt)
W-Dragon 2019 Tyrannosaurus rex ('Rexy')
Schleich 2008 Apatosaurus

SenSx

Quote from: MesozoicJohn on December 25, 2021, 05:39:19 PM

cool japanese male names

I love the first PNSO Doyle Triceratops, it's one of my favorite model in my collection (but I've always prefered theropods)

I'm so happy to have been able to grab this very limited edition, just look at this beauty:

Thialfi

EoFauna atlasaurus and/or EoFauna palaeoloxodon

But it's definitely not lonely at the top. So many models I love.

MesozoicJohn

Quote from: SenSx on December 26, 2021, 01:12:31 PM

I love the first PNSO Doyle Triceratops, it's one of my favorite model in my collection (but I've always prefered theropods)

I'm so happy to have been able to grab this very limited edition, just look at this beauty:

Wowwwww, I love that!

MesozoicJohn

Having done a little more work on these I have decided that they are now my favorite.

Dilophosaurus pair by Rebor.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.